• Jun 22nd, 2018 11:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4261 posts
1026 upvotes

Pre-construction Townhouse Purchase & Sale Agreement - No dimensions

Hi,

I recently entered a purchase & sale agreement for a pre-construction townhouse in the GTA. We are in the conditional period to have our agreement reviewed by our lawyer.

The PS&A does not have the lot size, overall square footage, or even dimensions of any rooms in the house. Is that normal?

Everyone talks about how if it's not in the agreement, then the builder can do whatever they want, and I'm worried I will end up with far less house than I expected!

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2267 posts
811 upvotes
Montreal
You have a purchase agreement on what then?
If it does not state the lot number, house dimensions, building specifications, ... then what are you signing on? Thin air?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4261 posts
1026 upvotes
It has the lot number but not the lot size.

And it also has the name of the model of the townhouse that will be built.
Nov 5, 2009
265 posts
189 upvotes
Is it a condo town home? If so then it's normal not to have a lot size. It is extremely weird not to have interior dimensions tho!

Altho even if you had interior dimensions on a floor plan the paperwork always states that it could be off by a bit or not exact.

Is the builder refusing to get you the info you want?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4261 posts
1026 upvotes
gwill211 wrote: Is it a condo town home? If so then it's normal not to have a lot size. It is extremely weird not to have interior dimensions tho!

Altho even if you had interior dimensions on a floor plan the paperwork always states that it could be off by a bit or not exact.

Is the builder refusing to get you the info you want?
It's a freehold townhouse.

Perhaps we can ask for the marketing materials to be included as part of the agreement of purchase and sale. The floorplans that are part of the marketing materials include dimensions. Whereas the floorplans currently in my agreement do not have any dimensions.
Nov 5, 2009
265 posts
189 upvotes
poorwingman wrote: It's a freehold townhouse.

Perhaps we can ask for the marketing materials to be included as part of the agreement of purchase and sale. The floorplans that are part of the marketing materials include dimensions. Whereas the floorplans currently in my agreement do not have any dimensions.
I've sold a lot of town home projects in alberta and this seems very strange. It opens the builder and you up to liability which would be easy to fix by providing the info in your builders contract.

Who's the builder?

I mentioned it already but the floor plans you see in marketing materials are not exact and can sometimes vary. I've seen huge swings in sizes In condo projects.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4135 upvotes
Ottawa
poorwingman wrote: It's a freehold townhouse.

1) ask them to include the marketing material as an addendum to the p&s agreement.
2) ask them for a copy of the survey. If they won’t supply it go to city hall and get a copy, it might even be online depending where you live.
Nov 5, 2009
265 posts
189 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: 1) ask them to include the marketing material as an addendum to the p&s agreement.
2) ask them for a copy of the survey. If they won’t supply it go to city hall and get a copy, it might even be online depending where you live.
marketing materials are not to scale and subject to change and a million other variables that should not be relied upon... they are good for a general idea only.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
4087 posts
3368 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Marketing materials are not legal documents.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)