Home & Garden

Pre-delivery inspection for condo - tips?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2010 7:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 28, 2007
634 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa

Pre-delivery inspection for condo - tips?

Hi guys,

We're scheduled to go have our pre-delivery inspection next week for a new condo we purchased. Anyone have any experience or tips to provide? I've seen a member on RFD before that took painter's tape and marked + took pictures of every thing that needed to be fixed, I rather liked that idea... Anyone has any other tips or things that you wouldn't necessarily think to look for during the inspection? :)
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Usually the person leading the PDI will do the taping.

Look for eneven/rough paint, dings in cabinetry, grout where its not supposed to be i.e. on tub or faucet, ensure trim is painted on all sides, ensure floors are even- if you have carpet make sure it doesn't bubble.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2004
1914 posts
Should study your floorplan, and make a check list of potential problems.

Bring kitchen paper towels so you can check leaking pipes.
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
Check out buildinghomes.ca there's a link to a great pdi form on his site. Covers each item to check by room. Most importantly, make sure you have lots of time and don't let them rush you through.
[OP]
Oct 28, 2007
634 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks for that link - lots of good information there!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5830 posts
248 upvotes
Vancouver
You might also want to hire a home inspector that specializes in condos.

Also make sure the SQ footage you bought is what you actually got.
Apr 7, 2008
87 posts
14 upvotes
Edmonton
Be anal!!!

Regardless if the guy walking you through the PDI is nice or not, or is agreeable to anything you find deficient, be anal and take your time. Anything they agree to in writing during the PDI, they are liable for. Sometimes they like to spout on about how the 'service' or 'warranty' dept will handle anything you miss, their obligations for anything cosmetic END at the PDI.

So yeah, take your time, they always seem to be in a hurry. Once you sign off the PDI and you find anything else, they're much less motivated to fix it unless it's a building code issue.

Also, list EVERYTHING you find on your own. After a few hours you forget things you identified and if you're going off of their list, they miss things too.
Aug 18, 2005
351 posts
39 upvotes
I'm curious too... In the same position as OP. Doing the PDI next week!
Nov 5, 2006
52 posts
2 upvotes
re: amz155
I agree with amz155, they try to rush you, take your time, if you feel like your being rushed just say "hey are you rushing me?", they will usually back off.

re: mocha'n'me
I'm going for a PDI in the morning thanks for the great list at:

http://www.buildinghomes.ca/index.php/PDI_Checklist

If only I had some printer ink... iphone it is.
Oct 2, 2007
164 posts
Toronto
Narci wrote: You might also want to hire a home inspector that specializes in condos.

Also make sure the SQ footage you bought is what you actually got.
is that worth the extra cost? what would an inspector find besides the obvious building code stuff? just curious if I need one.

arent the builders covered in their purchase agreement that if you buy for example 674 square feet, and it turns out to be 660 in the end, that it was justified during building?
Dec 12, 2007
771 posts
112 upvotes
The home inspector will look for major issues. That stuff is easily covered by new home warranty.

You need to just make sure to go over every inch with a fine tooth comb. Little things like scratches and dents need to be noted or builder will claim it was done after delivery and won't repair. Flooring should be inspected for stains, warping, etc. Builder will blame everything on proper care and maintenance if it wasn't previously noted.

Protect yourself!
Jul 23, 2007
265 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
alot of the stuff you wont notice until after you lived in the place... for instance the heater in my until didn't work.. the pipes in my kitchen/bathroom had a slow leak... and they didn't install a sensor in my alarm...

but like someone said say take your time and don't feel you have to be rushed... goodluck!
Jun 20, 2006
200 posts
1 upvote
Joe Camel(Toe) wrote: is that worth the extra cost? what would an inspector find besides the obvious building code stuff? just curious if I need one.

arent the builders covered in their purchase agreement that if you buy for example 674 square feet, and it turns out to be 660 in the end, that it was justified during building?
I know cases where the actual square footage is a lot lower (exceeding the +/- %age allowed) --- prompting the condo developer to give a lot of money to shut that purchaser's mouth off (so that he won't tell other unit owners).
Oct 2, 2007
164 posts
Toronto
samab wrote: I know cases where the actual square footage is a lot lower (exceeding the +/- %age allowed) --- prompting the condo developer to give a lot of money to shut that purchaser's mouth off (so that he won't tell other unit owners).
Would that be in my purchase agreement? What is the general +/- %?