pre-delivery inspection tips

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2020 11:16 pm
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
536 posts
229 upvotes

pre-delivery inspection tips

Hi all we are going to have our first house PDI walkthrough and request your inputs as i have very less idea what all things to look for what to ignore and not worry

any suggestion and tips greatly appreciated
6 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14591 posts
10829 upvotes
Don’t ignore anything. Also if thry tell you not to worry, just put issues in your 30 day or 1 year, don’t listen to them. While thry are right, I find builders only seem to fix issues on the PDI. 30 day sometimes, 1 year unless it is a serious issue that thry obviously caused, likely not. Even so it’s hard because you have to chase them.

Find out how much time you have to inspect the home. You may want to hire a professional to come with you. Some people find them worth it, others do not.

Do not go easy in them. Note even the smallest of issues. Get on them to fix each issue. Check EVERYTHING! Flush toilets, check lights, heat/AC, check the appliances thoroughly. Remember anynissues you find after the PDI builder will likely try to make it seem like you caused it. Because it want in the PDI. So make sure you really check everything.

My credentials. I have gone through the PDI process about 6-7 times in my properties and family.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
536 posts
229 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Don’t ignore anything. Also if thry tell you not to worry, just put issues in your 30 day or 1 year, don’t listen to them. While thry are right, I find builders only seem to fix issues on the PDI. 30 day sometimes, 1 year unless it is a serious issue that thry obviously caused, likely not. Even so it’s hard because you have to chase them.

Find out how much time you have to inspect the home. You may want to hire a professional to come with you. Some people find them worth it, others do not.

Do not go easy in them. Note even the smallest of issues. Get on them to fix each issue. Check EVERYTHING! Flush toilets, check lights, heat/AC, check the appliances thoroughly. Remember anynissues you find after the PDI builder will likely try to make it seem like you caused it. Because it want in the PDI. So make sure you really check everything.

My credentials. I have gone through the PDI process about 6-7 times in my properties and family.
thank you Jay ..if you know any good inspection officer in London please IM me there details
Jan 21, 2011
629 posts
266 upvotes
GTA
Document everything and take pics.
Mar 9, 2019
167 posts
83 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Don’t ignore anything. Also if thry tell you not to worry, just put issues in your 30 day or 1 year, don’t listen to them. While thry are right, I find builders only seem to fix issues on the PDI. 30 day sometimes, 1 year unless it is a serious issue that thry obviously caused, likely not. Even so it’s hard because you have to chase them.

Exactly what he said. Ive noticed their Moto is to make you forget or just live with it attitude. They act like they care but reality is they could care less. Chase them to fix it and if not done to your standards, complain about it to the department or add it to the next form.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14591 posts
10829 upvotes
urbanshack wrote: Exactly what he said. Ive noticed their Moto is to make you forget or just live with it attitude. They act like they care but reality is they could care less. Chase them to fix it and if not done to your standards, complain about it to the department or add it to the next form.
Yep. They like to drag it on until you just give up. Had a builder say one time "why don't you just sell? You've made a lot of money so far".
Sep 30, 2004
723 posts
114 upvotes
Markham
Here's what I would suggest

1. Bring a night light or something you can plug in to check the plugs in the house - remember the exterior ones too.
2. Check all light switches
3. Check the taps making sure the water line wasn't swapped. I actually fill a bit of water in the tubs and sinks to make sure it wasn't leaking
4. Check the windows - function, cracks and style (kid you not a different style was installed in the same room before)
5. For tiles and hardwood - bring a tennis ball or a ball just to make sure it's leveled.
6. Checks for cracks and scratches for tiles and hardwood
7. Bring sticky note or something. I usually leave it on the spots I fine that have problems. You may want to do that for your 30 day as well.
8. If you have upgraded stuff, make sure you bring the list to ensure its done.

The list can go on, but basically check every little corner including the cabinet shelving or backing.

Good luck!