Automotive

Pre insurance inspection at Canadian Tire?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2015 6:05 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes

Pre insurance inspection at Canadian Tire?

I avoid Canadian Tire like anyone else here but I may have to go there tomorrow since they are the only ones who were able to book a last minute pre insurance inspection.
Due to my circumstances, it must be done tomorrow! :(

Does anyone here have any experience with the CT in Prince George? I called all the approved inspection facilities in PG but most were closed on weekends or booked out for at least a week! I have a 2008 ford focus in perfect working condition, but I'm worried that CT will find the smallest flaw or even lie and come up with $1,000's in repairs that I have to do or else they won't pass my car!
10 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
3184 posts
1538 upvotes
what is a preinsurance inspection? When they take photos of the car?

Or when they check it mechanically?
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes
CensoredByRFD wrote: what is a preinsurance inspection? When they take photos of the car?

Or when they check it mechanically?
Since it's an out of province vehicle I think it's both.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6226 posts
3095 upvotes
Cornwall PE
A wonderful thing is to know or have a good mechanic as a neighbour that you can offer $30 or so to check everything over before you go to a shop so that you know exactly what to expect. Anyone know if cnt techs still make a commission of parts?
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: A wonderful thing is to know or have a good mechanic as a neighbour that you can offer $30 or so to check everything over before you go to a shop so that you know exactly what to expect. Anyone know if cnt techs still make a commission of parts?
I actually had some work done at a dealership not too long ago which included a 100 point inspection and they didn't see anything wrong with the car.

I called a few other places that I couldn't get a hold of earlier, but still no luck :P Well I'm riding into the storm now, wish me luck!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Take it in, get the certificate. If they try to upsell (and they might), get them to how you on the certification checklist why it failed. Just be smart and question their position if you think that it is not valid. As to speak with a manager (and perhaps even the store manager) and not the service writer if there is issues.
You have evidence of the work and that 100 point check you had done recently...right? Just be smart, that so often is what people forget and then get upsold and complain.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Take it in, get the certificate. If they try to upsell (and they might), get them to how you on the certification checklist why it failed. Just be smart and question their position if you think that it is not valid. As to speak with a manager (and perhaps even the store manager) and not the service writer if there is issues.
You have evidence of the work and that 100 point check you had done recently...right? Just be smart, that so often is what people forget and then get upsold and complain.
It was done in April so I don't think that was too long ago but the car is about 95% highway so I don't think too much wear could have happened til then. Definitely going to to grill them if they try and upsell me.

Will give an update after the storm.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2015
662 posts
180 upvotes
Well my car passed the inspection with no work required! They also started working on my car within 5 minutes of the scheduled time.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
rssdale wrote: Well my car passed the inspection with no work required! They also started working on my car within 5 minutes of the scheduled time.
Great. Glad you got it done, now enjoy your car.

A Canadian Tire success story...how unusual is that n this forum? LOL.