[OP]
Banned
Mar 23, 2008
346 posts
496 upvotes
GTA

Pre-order shipping durations from different vendors

Hi all,

I am curious what everyone has had for experience for pre-orders from different vendors; for me I am curious on Wal-mart as I have a couple this time around...

My experience that I can remember from:
Amazon:
Free shipping - game arrives 3-7 business days AFTER release date
Prime - game arrives Day of release

Best Buy - game arrives day of release, but Canada post notice left, wait 1 day to pick up

Walmart - no experience yet

EB games - been a while, forgot; I think it was the same as bestbuy

Others?

Let me know what your experiences have been in the past. Thanks,
10 replies
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
991 upvotes
Vaughan
Grr. We get this every year.

Everyone's experiences are different. I get Best Buy games on release date, the day after and sometimes even a week after.

I get Amazon games on release date, the day after and sometimes even a week after.

I get Walmart games on release date, the day after and sometimes even a week after.

There's no rhyme or reason.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4613 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
I live in Toronto...

Generally my experience over the past few years has been:

Best Buy: Get it on release day or a day after. They used to be a tiny bit worse. Uncharted 4 was most recent experience, getting it on release day.

Amazon (non-Prime): A week late (even the shipping estimate reflects that. My current COD:IW shipping estimate is 10 days after release). Most recent experience was Batman: Arkham Knight, I think.
Amazon (after complaining): Still a couple days late, but not as bad as original estimates. Most recent experience was SF5, arriving I think the Thursday that week or something.

Walmart: No experience. I've got two orders. One is pick up at post office, the other is ship to door. Will see how that turns out.

Back in the day, Future Shop was actually the best at getting me release day games.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5548 posts
1208 upvotes
calgary
Just my 2 cents but Ive had great experiences with best buy usually getting the game on, before, or the day after release.

Amazon was a mess Id get the game anywhere between a few days to almost a month after the game released. I wont order anything from Amazon Canada anymore after I rush shipped a christmas gift about a week before xmas and it came a week after new years.

Best buy has the added bonus too that if a game reviews poorly I can drive it down to the store and get a refund a lot easier.

Im not pre-ordering anything this year though, I dont want BB rewards and I dont want to use Amazon.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4613 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Just my 2 cents but Ive had great experiences with best buy usually getting the game on, before, or the day after release.

Amazon was a mess Id get the game anywhere between a few days to almost a month after the game released. I wont order anything from Amazon Canada anymore after I rush shipped a christmas gift about a week before xmas and it came a week after new years.

Best buy has the added bonus too that if a game reviews poorly I can drive it down to the store and get a refund a lot easier.

Im not pre-ordering anything this year though, I dont want BB rewards and I dont want to use Amazon.
What about trying Walmart? They've offered the best deals so far in E3 - $30 off... Plus you can always return in store, I assume. Crappy thing is that they're not taking Visa anymore, which is kinda weird.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5548 posts
1208 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote: What about trying Walmart? They've offered the best deals so far in E3 - $30 off... Plus you can always return in store, I assume. Crappy thing is that they're not taking Visa anymore, which is kinda weird.
I had no idea Walmart was offering any deals, I saw that best buy was offering nothing but rewards and decided not to preorder but I'll grab a few games from Walmart. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4613 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I had no idea Walmart was offering any deals, I saw that best buy was offering nothing but rewards and decided not to preorder but I'll grab a few games from Walmart. Thanks.
Currently they're only offering a handful of games... Gears, Battlefield, Ghost Recon, Watch Dogs, FF15... which Amazon then copied.

I tweeted at them asking if they'll consider adding more, and they responded saying they're working with suppliers to see what can be done. Cross your fingers. Hoping they have Titanfall 2 for cheap!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6631 posts
2740 upvotes
Canada
Walmart is the worst... they can take a week or more to ship after release.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5548 posts
1208 upvotes
calgary
M1GOmigs wrote: Currently they're only offering a handful of games... Gears, Battlefield, Ghost Recon, Watch Dogs, FF15... which Amazon then copied.

I tweeted at them asking if they'll consider adding more, and they responded saying they're working with suppliers to see what can be done. Cross your fingers. Hoping they have Titanfall 2 for cheap!
Oh dam I actually did see that but wasn't interested in pre-ordering any of those titles.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2013
2732 posts
277 upvotes
Mississauga, Ontario
My only experience is with Amazon, which as not been that good. Essentially if you are not a prime member they make you wait. I've heard other people experience the same thing. And I live only 5 minutes away from the distribution center in Mississauga. Before Prime was introduced, I was getting everything in 2 days anyway, on a consistent basis. Now with Prime, they are essentially forcing you to wait. Tested it out with my bro, both ordered the same item, he has prime. Got his in 2 days, mine came 10 days later.

BUT....Amazon customer service is good. So if you can wait, and understand that you will get the game a week late and are fine with that, then, grudgingly, I would recommend Amazon.

Best Buys E3 promo this year is terrible, don't even waste your time.

Walmart no experience, but am interested to hear about it. I would like an alternative to Amazon.

I don't do business with scammers and fraudsters, so by default EB Games is not an option for me. ;)
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4613 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
SuperDuperFox wrote: I don't do business with scammers and fraudsters, so by default EB Games is not an option for me. ;)
I only ever go to EB in person, and it's when I have old games to trade that still manage to qualify for deals. I managed to trade in 3 games for a preorder of Mirror's Edge, which I "rented" for 3 days, and then shifted that over to another game thanks to the Edge card Satisfaction Guaranteed promo.