Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Post] Pre-Order Superman 75th Anniversary Stamps - On Sale Sept. 10, 2013

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2014 2:10 pm
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13706 posts
3941 upvotes
Montreal
LonesomeDove wrote:
Aug 27th, 2013 6:17 pm
Having said that, the best bet is the uncut Press Sheets because there are only 7500 of them made and there are millions of Superman fans. There is potential for them to go up in value.
the problem is that it's got an absolutely horrible image on it that no classic superman fan would pay a penny for. something vintage would have really driven it through the roof, but virtually no one buys modern comics anymore.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1291 posts
158 upvotes
JackWhyte wrote:
Aug 28th, 2013 9:13 am
the problem is that it's got an absolutely horrible image on it that no classic superman fan would pay a penny for. something vintage would have really driven it through the roof, but virtually no one buys modern comics anymore.
*cough* I go to my local comic book shop every Wednesday to pick up comics.
Jul 7, 2005
392 posts
20 upvotes
Just ordered 70 dollars worth of stamps. All the first day stuff, the limited edition print/poster, and the 5 sets of 10 stamps.
Never saw myself as a stamp collector and definitely didn't see myself dropping this much cash on stamps. Huge superman fan though. rFD effect at its best
Aug 27, 2013
1 posts
LonesomeDove wrote:
Aug 27th, 2013 6:17 pm
All modern stamps from most countries are only worth the value as postage. I have been collecting for decades and stamps from the 1950s, 1960s, are still being used for postage.

Stamps are printed in the millions. Anything printed in the millions will not be valuable even if old. The only modern stamps that have value are those that have an error, like missed perforations, inverted designs, or missing colours.

Having said that, the best bet is the uncut Press Sheets because there are only 7500 of them made and there are millions of Superman fans. There is potential for them to go up in value.
Hello! I agree with you for the 1950' to the 1980's stamps were issued in very large quantity, commemoratives from the 50's to 70's most were issued at 25 millions copies or more, but for the past 15 years, the quantity is lowered, for souvenir sheets it is now mostly 200,000 to 400,000 (50,000 or more for overprinted), as for single issue, usually 1.5 million to 3 millions and less than 1.5 million for multi-issue. And for the Superman souvenir sheet, only 185,000 were printed and will be available at Post offices. (but didn't take any chances and ordered uncut sheets and 5 s/s and a FDC)

So modern stamps are harder to find and sells for more, depending on the issue. And if you look on ebay for any modern souvenir sheet, you will see that for each 10 souvenir sheet sold mint on ebay, you usually have only one or none used, this apply on some multi-issue also, just not 10 for 1. As for quality of most of the stamps sold on ebay, awful !!!, especially with those recent years self-adhesive, keep on getting thiner, harder to soak. So in the future, if Unitrade would hire some serious stamps collectors, the value should go up for modern stamps, especially if they put a very fine value, not just fine, and specify at the beginning of every modern year, that the value is for a perfect copy (they do in the introduction, but no ones read that)

I agree that 7500 is low for the Superman Uncut sheet and $100.00 near future value seem valid. And it will be hard for outside Canada speculators, Canada Post do not sell Superman stamps outside Canada "Only available for purchase within Canada" and when i called to make my order, i asked if it was true, the guy didn't even know, verified and was suprise! According to what i heard, it is a condition from DC comics or WB.

By the way for Superman fans, Canada Post will also have special Superman commemorative coins, with prices range from $29.95 to $750.00. My P.O. showed me the Canada Post coins brochure(not for public) with the detail.....except pictures of the coins. It seem they will come in to some kind of commemorative box.

Good luck for those that didn't buy yet and read this post in September!!
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13706 posts
3941 upvotes
Montreal
shadowslaya wrote:
Aug 28th, 2013 10:33 am
*cough* I go to my local comic book shop every Wednesday to pick up comics.
the few, the proud, the 2013 comic pamphlet fan.

I pick up the odd gn here and there, but the numbers are way down on the monthlies and continue to drop everytime they jack prices higher.
Nov 2, 2011
849 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
25 dollars for $18 in stamps... no thanks jeff

the most people would pay is ...25-30, and thats exactly what theyre selling for. the 'limited edition' 'collectors edition' 'only 5000' doesnt mean anything unless theyre part of a set (batman, spiderman, othermans)
Dec 28, 2008
590 posts
110 upvotes
Rural Ontario
Did anyone receive an order confirmation from Canada Post? I've heard nothing since putting in the pre-order and there is no way to check an order status on the CP site. Thx.
"The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Build model airplanes!" says the little fairy, well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off your dresser and your daughter's knocked up, I've seen it a hundred times." - Tommy Boy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5107 posts
566 upvotes
in a plane
I got confirmation on Friday.
Doko ni itemo... hito wa tsunagatte iru.
  • Get an Amex - get lots of points - get good karma! :)
  • wandering amphibia – a travel blog for the non-frequent traveler
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
13706 posts
3941 upvotes
Montreal
killuminati wrote:
Aug 29th, 2013 11:30 am
Is anyone familiar with Kosta Tsetsekas?
he's a graphic designer in vancouver.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2001
1549 posts
59 upvotes
Doh! Only saw this now. The supposed 7500 limit must've surely been reached no? Yet they still sell them on the website (I just ordered two just now).
Ah well, I'm a sucker for all things Superman so hopefully I can get something :) .
I'm on the road to 5000...
Deal Addict
May 30, 2008
1852 posts
205 upvotes
WIN-A-PIG!
ledorky wrote:
Sep 10th, 2013 11:45 am
Doh! Only saw this now. The supposed 7500 limit must've surely been reached no? Yet they still sell them on the website (I just ordered two just now).
Ah well, I'm a sucker for all things Superman so hopefully I can get something :) .
The uncut press sheet is still available online.

The "Official First Day" ones are now sold out.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2009
1269 posts
388 upvotes
London Area
Thanks OP. In for one of the 7500 sheet (still available). I'm not a collector, I just think it'll look good on the wall by my bar...if I ever build a bar (damn you RFD)!
Jun 3, 2007
19 posts
2 upvotes
Just picked up the uncut sheet and a coin for my son. Thanks
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6392 posts
318 upvotes
GT'eh
Seems the added some items on the site coin and stamp sets and are doing a promo with the mint to release coins (another thread for this). Some of those coin sets are sweet, esp that 14K going coin set, but can't fork over $750 for 1 coin.
Has anyone else got their pre orders shipped yet or confirmation? Today was the big day.
Ne0's Bio: ??? not 4 Sale
??? G@mer & t3<hy [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the 90's
??? Member of IPTV +Spotify +CarWash groupbuys ???
??? Feedback: ??? eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+