Cell Phones

Pre-paid, back up cellular plans (for 1 phone and 1 computer)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2017 4:05 pm
[OP]
Aug 10, 2017
8 posts

Pre-paid, back up cellular plans (for 1 phone and 1 computer)

We live out in New Brunswick (Riverside-Albert).

I'd like to get a good emergency pre-paid cellular plan (data and talk) for one older smartphone. I'm trying to avoid monthly fees.

And one USB Modem type data plan, also avoiding monthly fees, for our computers.

We're editors, and the actual internet rarely goes down here. But when it does (a few times a year) we'd like to be able to use the phone and also plug in a USB modem to some of our computers to download/upload a few word documents, light Googling, etc.

Does that exist anymore? They always want to lock you in to some kind of monthly fee. (I'm willing to do that if the fee is very small and there are no other options).
3 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13855 upvotes
Going to the Moon
WyattD wrote: We live out in New Brunswick (Riverside-Albert).

I'd like to get a good emergency pre-paid cellular plan (data and talk) for one older smartphone. I'm trying to avoid monthly fees.

And one USB Modem type data plan, also avoiding monthly fees, for our computers.

We're editors, and the actual internet rarely goes down here. But when it does (a few times a year) we'd like to be able to use the phone and also plug in a USB modem to some of our computers to download/upload a few word documents, light Googling, etc.

Does that exist anymore? They always want to lock you in to some kind of monthly fee. (I'm willing to do that if the fee is very small and there are no other options).
Your best bet might be Koodo prepaid with data boosters (that rollover). There is a base plan which includes unlimited texting ($15 per month, then 10% off if you do automatic top-ups).
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1763 posts
715 upvotes
Oakville
tbaytel-prepaid-data-125-20gb-365-day-expiry-1397855/
WyattD wrote: We live out in New Brunswick (Riverside-Albert).

Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15417 posts
13855 upvotes
Going to the Moon
For the data stick that'd work, but for the talk & data, the roaming voice might not be worth it. Agreed that for the USB data it's a good option. If usage is really minimal, OP could get by on Koodo prepaid.
🐧Premium Life: CDC💳 [❄️Icey❄️ Private Status]/SwissBorg🍀 Genesis💎/InLock🔓/Netflix📺 UHD [100% off]/Amazon 🛍️[Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]🥕

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)