• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2016 5:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4038 posts
1431 upvotes

Pre-wiring Basement During Renovations

I am about to finish my basement and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what type of wiring (aside from electrical) I should run now since everything is exposed now. There will be a washroom, open entertainment room, storage room (which could be used as a small office one day) and a bedroom.

I am thinking about the following:
-cat6 cables throughout basement (I already have cat5e running to most of the upstairs rooms)
-audio cables, I see a whole different bunch and just saw that there is 7.2 and 8.2 wall plates
-central vac pipes
-home phone wires
-maybe an intercom from basement to main floor for my wife to notify us that food is ready lol

Is there anything else that I'm missing? I already have alarm sensors on my windows.

Thanks in advance.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2315 upvotes
Some ideas:

Security cameras - better run them now, or it else it will be hard to do once the ceilings are installed. Basically CAT5E to exterior areas of the house.

Video cables for wall mounting your TV

Video feed from your intercom / security camera to your TV area.

Extra door bell so you can hear the door?

CAT6 to the ceiling and install ceiling mounted access point.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12232 posts
8641 upvotes
Edmonton
boonjaca wrote: I am about to finish my basement and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what type of wiring (aside from electrical) I should run now since everything is exposed now. There will be a washroom, open entertainment room, storage room (which could be used as a small office one day) and a bedroom.

-cat6 cables throughout basement (I already have cat5e running to most of the upstairs rooms)
-audio cables, I see a whole different bunch and just saw that there is 7.2 and 8.2 wall plates
-central vac pipes
-home phone wires
-maybe an intercom from basement to main floor for my wife to notify us that food is ready lol

Is there anything else that I'm missing? I already have alarm sensors on my windows.

Thanks in advance.
Not really answering your questions, but...

Intercom and home phone lines are kind of done, at least in my upcoming house remodel. Cell phones have put the end to that. Can text easier than fire up an intercom.
I'll run cat6 to the "media" locations. Everything else will depend on wireless, and I'll have AP's at the media locations too (1 per floor).
Audio cables possible/likely... In my case, was considering in-wall/floor speakers. Right now, we're running with stock tv speakers on both TV's, so anything will be an upgrade. Might do some ceiling speakers in the main floor.
Yes to central vac

C
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2315 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Intercom and home phone lines are kind of done, at least in my upcoming house remodel. Cell phones have put the end to that. Can text easier than fire up an intercom
How is the delivery guy going to text you?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12232 posts
8641 upvotes
Edmonton
coolspot wrote: How is the delivery guy going to text you?
The OP specified an intercom from the main floor to the basement. If the delivery guy is in the house already, I've got bigger issues...

And for that matter, the delivery guy would likely have my phone number, and can either call or text if the magical device called a "door bell" is non-functioning...

C
May 12, 2014
907 posts
556 upvotes
Markham, ON
TV antenna cables, RG6 if you decide to go OTA. Another set of RG6 for a cell booster if your cell signal is crap in the basement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4038 posts
1431 upvotes
I did think about running the extra door bell for the basement since I can see where the wire is running up to the first floor. I forgot to mention that the video cables will already be run as I might put in a projector. I was planning on running security camera wires but not sure how to run them to the exterior and into my basement.

The intercom is more for the kids plus I don't always have my cellphone on me. Since I have a home phone, I figure, I might as well run the wires now. I will have a hub near the TV and all with all the cat6 cables terminating there, I doubt I will re-run the cat5e to the 2nd floor since it's too much work.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12232 posts
8641 upvotes
Edmonton
Keep in mind that this is your time for running wires up to the main floor, like extra cat6 or whatever. Or running conduit up to different locations. Much messier after the ceilings are finished.

C
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2315 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: The OP specified an intercom from the main floor to the basement. If the delivery guy is in the house already, I've got bigger issues...

And for that matter, the delivery guy would likely have my phone number, and can either call or text if the magical device called a "door bell" is non-functioning...
Ha you're right!

As for the delivery guy, in my experience, they just leave a "no answer" note on the door (i.e. FedEx / Canada Post).
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12232 posts
8641 upvotes
Edmonton
Oh, THAT delivery guy! I'm never home when the UPS/Canada Post guy comes. I was thinking of pizza delivery guys... :)

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4038 posts
1431 upvotes
coolspot wrote: Ha you're right!

As for the delivery guy, in my experience, they just leave a "no answer" note on the door (i.e. FedEx / Canada Post).
Lol, even when I have my front door open and only the storm door locked.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4038 posts
1431 upvotes
For audio speakers, does anyone know what the difference between 7.2 or 8.2 is? I planning on just running the 2 wire in wall speaker cables but I see that there is a 4 wire set as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4997 posts
1381 upvotes
Kitchener
I'm finishing a basement now and had a #6 cable run for future hottub. there's also pool pump cable if you plan on a pool or backyard shed
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2315 upvotes
boonjaca wrote: For audio speakers, does anyone know what the difference between 7.2 or 8.2 is? I planning on just running the 2 wire in wall speaker cables but I see that there is a 4 wire set as well.
You may want to look at Dolby Atmos - that's the current speaker standard. I don't think 8.2 is a standard configuration.

Here are Dolby's configuration guides to show you the different available speaker setups: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/speake ... index.html

Speakers generally only wired 2 wires, but some speakers do take 4 wires for bi-amping, but this is a special circumstance. If you want to protect yourself, you can run 4-conductor in-wall speaker wire.

Even if you don't use the 4 wires, they're good for braiding.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35135 posts
4309 upvotes
Winnipeg
boonjaca wrote: I am about to finish my basement and wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what type of wiring (aside from electrical) I should run now since everything is exposed now. There will be a washroom, open entertainment room, storage room (which could be used as a small office one day) and a bedroom.

-central vac pipes
-home phone wires

Thanks in advance.
post in my thread and send me your floor plan, i can give you a free design in CAD of what a typical basement should be wired
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1975 posts
151 upvotes
Wood Bridge
you also should consider ruffing in a central vac outlet too before you finish your basement. The builder only put one measly central vac outlet in my parents basement, right in the middle of the basement, so we put a second one in, because once the walls are framed and drywalled, the hose would not reach the other room and you would need another outlet instead. Easier to do when the basement is not finnished but a beach to do when you already drywalled
Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4038 posts
1431 upvotes
divx wrote: post in my thread and send me your floor plan, i can give you a free design in CAD of what a typical basement should be wired
Thanks, can you provide the link to the thread? What information do you need? Just the layout and measurements of the basement?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35135 posts
4309 upvotes
Winnipeg
your floor plan to scale in cad but that's probably too much to ask, so hand sketch of plan with measurements so i can make said floor plan to scale