Real Estate

Precon condo dropping celling upgrade for pot light.. worth it?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2021 10:22 pm
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2013
378 posts
315 upvotes
Etobicoke

Precon condo dropping celling upgrade for pot light.. worth it?

So, I have a precon condo which is now in decor selection phase. As it's a rental/investment unit, I've declined all upgrade options except dropping the celling by 4 inch to install portlights in future (when I'll consider it to sell). Builder asked for 1183.00+HST just to drop the celling (approximate 200sq ft) around kitchen and living room area. It's a 1B+den condo (630sqft). Is that upgrade worth it considering this outrage price point?

Any input will be highly appreciated.
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5842 posts
3757 upvotes
Toronto
onebuddy wrote: So, I have a precon condo which is now in decor selection phase. As it's a rental/investment unit, I've declined all upgrade options except dropping the celling by 4 inch to install portlights in future (when I'll consider it to sell). Builder asked for 1183.00+HST just to drop the celling (approximate 200sq ft) around kitchen and living room area. It's a 1B+den condo (630sqft). Is that upgrade worth it considering this outrage price point?

Any input will be highly appreciated.
yes

otherwise you will have ugly track lighting, or your unit is very dark and can't do anything about it except having floor lamps.
Full-time Realtor
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2013
378 posts
315 upvotes
Etobicoke
oasis100 wrote: yes

otherwise you will have ugly track lighting, or your unit is very dark and can't do anything about it except having floor lamps.
Excellent. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2016
1942 posts
960 upvotes
I would say yes. For a rental, lighting generally is worth it because brighter units look cleaner, which is far more important to normal quality renters than looking "high end".

For my own home, I actually like it dark and only use floor lamps, since I already know it's clean.
Member
Dec 22, 2004
458 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I wouldn’t do it for a rental. Units sell for million dollars+ every day with track lighting and like one wall kitchen, it is the norm these days. If you are thinking about resale, I would save the upgrade money and put it into top notch staging when you are going to sell. I think that would make a bigger difference. How high are the ceilings? If they are less than 9 feet, i don’t think you can afford 4 inches. I saw dropped ceilings in a unit with 8 foot ceilings, making them ~7.5 and it was super low.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 16, 2008
8426 posts
3006 upvotes
Maple
I say ‘no’. if it’s rental unit, I would rather put that money into other things that are attractive to renters. Like offer renter’s choice of paint colour for bedroom. Drop ceiling means you will lose some height, attactive for condo is height, 9 feet. It could be a turn off to some potential renters.

Edit: I would not do it for resale neither. It’s your taste, not others’ taste.
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2013
378 posts
315 upvotes
Etobicoke
my_sir wrote: Personally I wouldn’t do it for a rental. Units sell for million dollars+ every day with track lighting and like one wall kitchen, it is the norm these days. If you are thinking about resale, I would save the upgrade money and put it into top notch staging when you are going to sell. I think that would make a bigger difference. How high are the ceilings? If they are less than 9 feet, i don’t think you can afford 4 inches. I saw dropped ceilings in a unit with 8 foot ceilings, making them ~7.5 and it was super low.
Celling is 9 ft and smooth. However unit electric plan is bang average and not many options to make the unit brighter . I first wanted to add the celling light option in the living room but they want $1150 just to add a new switch and celling light outlet; crazy crazy price. Still debating myself but favoring towards dropping the celling by 4 inch rather than adding celling outlet.
Member
Sep 23, 2011
233 posts
155 upvotes
Vaughan
As a renter, I can say that good lighting would be a big positive. Too many units have below average lighting and I would pay a premium for having a nice, well lit place.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5842 posts
3757 upvotes
Toronto
onebuddy wrote: Excellent. Thanks.
trust me on this..
i've seen hundreds of condos
and helped clients buy many condos..

getting recessed lighting is a game changer.
Full-time Realtor
Sr. Member
Dec 5, 2009
814 posts
810 upvotes
oasis100 wrote: trust me on this..
i've seen hundreds of condos
and helped clients buy many condos..

getting recessed lighting is a game changer.
This. The average person LOVES recessed lighting.
Member
Dec 22, 2004
458 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
onebuddy wrote: Celling is 9 ft and smooth. However unit electric plan is bang average and not many options to make the unit brighter . I first wanted to add the celling light option in the living room but they want $1150 just to add a new switch and celling light outlet; crazy crazy price. Still debating myself but favoring towards dropping the celling by 4 inch rather than adding celling outlet.
9 feet makes it a better case. You said that you will install the pot lights in the future when you are going to sell, I say if you are going to do it, just do it now and pay the 3k. Anyway you got feedback from oasis that doing this will change the game and so trust him as he is after all a realtor.
Last edited by my_sir on Sep 8th, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1377 posts
990 upvotes
Etobicoke
my_sir wrote: Completely agree
then your rental will be average amount the hundreds of others when you are trying to rent it. I think you need one or two upgrades to
make it stand out from the very large pack
Member
Dec 22, 2004
458 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
xxxray wrote: then your rental will be average amount the hundreds of others when you are trying to rent it. I think you need one or two upgrades to
make it stand out from the very large pack
Here is a real world example. My sister has a unit at harbour plaza, high floor with amazing view. Cost a bundle to get up there when she bought pre construction. What is her premium versus lower floor…$150/month. Most renters don’t really care and not willing to pay out for upgrades and views. That is what I saw when I had a couple of units to rent and that is what I hear when I talk to my sister that has close to 10.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15121 posts
11610 upvotes
Tarrana
xxxray wrote: then your rental will be average amount the hundreds of others when you are trying to rent it. I think you need one or two upgrades to
make it stand out from the very large pack
a dropped ceiling will not have much impact to a renter especially if your price is higher than the pack. Remember, your rental will eventually no longer be brand spanking new...and be another 10 year old rental. What will you do then? I find the upgrades are a waste considering the tenants are going to wear the hell out of your condo.

Pick nice standard finishes and keep the place clean and white walls.
Member
Dec 22, 2004
458 posts
589 upvotes
Toronto
JayLove06 wrote: a dropped ceiling will not have much impact to a renter especially if your price is higher than the pack. Remember, your rental will eventually no longer be brand spanking new...and be another 10 year old rental. What will you do then? I find the upgrades are a waste considering the tenants are going to wear the hell out of your condo.

Pick nice standard finishes and keep the place clean and white walls.
Again 100% agree, especially a dropped ceiling without pot lights because OP wants to put them in when he is going to sell. The wear and tear on the unit after 10 years of rental will negate any wow factor of potlights. You can always tell if a unit is a rental or owner occupied. I am guilty of that too. When I owned my condo, I used to clean constantly. Now I am in a rental right now because I am in between properties and clean maybe once a month. As I said before, personally, I would keep that $3k and use it for top notch staging when you are going to sell. Staged unit vs vacant for me is a game changer.
[OP]
Member
Aug 19, 2013
378 posts
315 upvotes
Etobicoke
Thanks everyone. Although rentals and I understand some concerns (btw, this is not my first rental and I've seen my fair share of good and bad) but I'm going to take @oasis100 advice and going ahead with dropping the ceiling and will put pot lights once I get the interim occupancy. There is no point spending money on upgrade and not using it for it's purpose. At the end of the day, it's a investment and I've to keep it such a way that I can sell it to somebody else.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 26, 2005
10011 posts
1882 upvotes
Toronto
1183.00+HST It's not a big amount.

If you don't mind the dropped height, the go for it.

Hmmm, don't think you can claim this as expenses on your taxes right?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
15121 posts
11610 upvotes
Tarrana
How tall are the ceilings? 4-5 inches could make a big difference.

Top