• Dec 28th, 2019 1:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3767 posts
2683 upvotes
Toronto

Premium laptop models that aren't Macbooks

Have a Macbook, looking for a Windows machine.

What laptop brand lines are actually comparable to the quality and feel of a Macbook? Nice design, aluminum frame, great trackpad, etc.

I know the Dell XPS 13 machines are nice. What else?

Budget $1500ish
FreezingCanada wrote: We voted him in as God of RFD last month. Where were you during elections...?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12932 posts
2223 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I don't know about the same quality of a Macbook, which are delicate snowflakes, but if you want something better, have a look at the ThinkPad X1 series. Having said that, Macs have the best touchpads. But get used to a TrackPoint and leave touchpads behind. If you want to do finger gestures ;) , get the touchscreen option. With your budget, you might have to buy used.
Sep 27, 2009
762 posts
126 upvotes
Calgary
They are not widely available, but you can still find a Huawei X Book Pro. The 2019 version has some minor upgrades, the 2018 is the best bang for the buck. 2018 was voted best Windows ultrabook in 2018.
I own one I can tell you I never imagined I would love a 3:2 display ratio so much. You get so much more vertical screen space. I can never go back to a 16:9 on a laptop.
P.S. The Surface Laptop also has a 3:2 display
Deal Addict
Jun 30, 2010
2740 posts
846 upvotes
Vaughan
The Lenovo C740 Yoga is great option if you want a good value MacBook Air competitor. Fits right within your budget too.

More premium competitors is the XPS 13 and Surface Laptop 3.