Premium/Luxury SUV

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 8th, 2019 4:09 pm
Tags:
Jan 24, 2010
119 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
Thanks for the feedback and I will definitely take a couple test drives.

The one thing that bugs me is a buddy of mine who told me that when he had to replace parts in his Acura, they sent Honda components.
So I am not so sure about the “premium materials” beyond aesthetics.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Get a cx-5 with the 2.5T engine. That's a lot of power, and lot of kit for the the price. It'll whip the snot out of that gutless Lexus.
Jan 24, 2010
119 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
One thing also is I remember in the old days, higher end vehicles had really high end instrumentation and multimedia.
With IMHO Apple CarPlay universal Bluetooth and backup cameras, lane assist and other driving technologies are in standard vehicles.
It seems the gap is getting smaller and smaller
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
From your list, NX300, RDX, and QX-50 i went through the same process about 4-5 months ago and ended up with the RDX. My main focus is how the interior looks and available tech.

In a nutshell

NX300
- i think the car looks ugly inside and out
- can't stand the trackpad

QX-50
- Infotainment looks like a Nokia from the early 2000's and this alone was enough to deter me from going any further

Acura RDX
- I initially almost settled for the 2019 Rav 4 over the QX50, NX-300 and few others but my buddy suggested I try it out
- new design inside/out looks beautiful (though i did think the interior looked kind of odd at first)
- the 1-to-1 touch pad works really well...i don't even need to look at the touch pad to know what i'm doing. It takes less than 5 minutes to get familiarize with. People who complain about the touch pad probably have the mental capacity of a premature teletubby.
- it's not perfect and there are some things that i feel could have been done better but overall i'm happy enough that the positives outweigh the negatives.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: I find the sweet spot in terms of $ for cars is $80K-$120K.
Douchiest quote of the year award! The sweet spot for people looking to throw their money down the toilet.

It's a transportation device. Some people treat it as a fashion statement. OP: save your money and retire years earlier. If you aren't already completely loaded, that will have a way better effect on your life than paying $60k more for an upgraded engine and leather coated doors.
Oct 27, 2008
169 posts
142 upvotes
Coquitlam
jono454 wrote: From your list, NX300, RDX, and QX-50 i went through the same process about 4-5 months ago and ended up with the RDX. My main focus is how the interior looks and available tech.
I went with the Acura RDX as well and have been loving it so far. Drives really nice and stands out on the road. I also do not understand the mediocre feedback of the 1-1 touchpad. I think its great and I now barely look at the screen to control my infotainment.

Acura is on its way of restoring its brand with its new design direction and the RDX has come out strong with it being the first out of the gate.
Oct 27, 2008
169 posts
142 upvotes
Coquitlam
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: I find the sweet spot in terms of $ for cars is $80K-$120K. There's a very noticeable difference between a $20K SUV and a $100K one.
I disagree. I'd argue that the sweet spot is half of that at $50-60k. There is very little difference from the +80k besides the engine and brand. You will find similar materials, tech, safety, build quality.
Last edited by HockeyFanatic on Jun 3rd, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You lost me at Acura...
Oct 27, 2008
169 posts
142 upvotes
Coquitlam
Lol Acura was huge not too long ago with the integra, rsx, rdx, and mdx. They faded since the early 2010s with poor design choices but appear to be turning it around after with their precision design.
Feb 15, 2010
702 posts
700 upvotes
Surrey
Out of curiosity, if you do not know the difference between a luxury SUV vs a non-luxury SUV, why are you looking at getting one?

It sounds like your only interest is for the prestige and better external aesthetics, which may not be enough to justify the additional cost.
Feb 15, 2018
449 posts
558 upvotes
Edmonton
I will give you an example. The Lexus RX350 windows are double glass panes compared to the single glass pane found in regular cars like Toyotas e.t.c. That alone makes the cabin a lot more quieter. I can go on and on. I can not speak for other brands but have owned Toyotas and Lexuses and can tell you the difference is noticeable.
Edmonton area Realtor
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
Blubbs wrote: Douchiest quote of the year award! The sweet spot for people looking to throw their money down the toilet.

It's a transportation device. Some people treat it as a fashion statement. OP: save your money and retire years earlier. If you aren't already completely loaded, that will have a way better effect on your life than paying $60k more for an upgraded engine and leather coated doors.
What? Save 60k and retire YEARS earlier??? Which basement are you living in right now?
Jan 24, 2010
119 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
canuckstorm wrote: I will give you an example. The Lexus RX350 windows are double glass panes compared to the single glass pane found in regular cars like Toyotas e.t.c. That alone makes the cabin a lot more quieter. I can go on and on. I can not speak for other brands but have owned Toyotas and Lexuses and can tell you the difference is noticeable.
Ok. That’s very interesting and great data. Do you know where I may be able to get more examples so I can make more of an informed decision?
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13892 posts
3539 upvotes
Toronto
I think Lexus can use some better materials in their cars. Not enough soft touch materials. There are alot of hard touch plastics and parts that look very cheap and bland. I would choose Audi and Mercedes over Lexus.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
trixstar wrote: I think Lexus can use some better materials in their cars. Not enough soft touch materials. There are alot of hard touch plastics and parts that look very cheap and bland. I would choose Audi and Mercedes over Lexus.
Audi is generally a tad better, although usually bland. Mercedes though...depends what Mercedes because the CLA and B...the quality there is utter rubbish, a Kia uses less rattly materials than a CLA.
- Jegan V
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
iownyou wrote: What? Save 60k and retire YEARS earlier??? Which basement are you living in right now?
The basement of $300k+ household income and $50k yearly expenses.

$60k today at 5% return is worth $159,197 in 20 years and $259316.54 in 30 years.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2018
1247 posts
2159 upvotes
ansarm wrote: Hello All,
I am considering purchasing a luxury SUV (nx300/acura rdx/infiniti qx50) and to be fair, I haven't test driven anything yet; but as an outsider I am having difficulty differentiating between these SUVs and their non-premium counterparts with equivalent upgrades (Rav-4/CRV/Murano). They are at least 10K less.

I do see there seems to be a difference in performance and the premiums require premium gas. For the most part the premium SUVs definitely look nicer externally.

What makes a premium SUV, "premium"?
Sorry but those are entry luxury at best, basically fully upgraded toyota/honda/nissans with a different badge. Not that there’s anything wrong with that - they’re great cars, but if you’re looking for a true luxury SUV that people will ooh and ahh over it’s porsche/range rover/G-class MB to start. Basically you’re paying for a nicer, more comfortable, sporty, and exclusive ride. People with more money than most of us/people who are willing to spend more of their money on something like this are willing to spend it to acheive/maintain status - aka look at how much money I have I’m able to drop 2k+ a month on a depreciating asset.

If you’re worrying over 10k and premium gas - which I assume you are because you brought it up - just go with a Pilot/Highlander/Murano you’ll be a lot happier.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
4290 posts
2082 upvotes
BC
Blubbs wrote: The basement of $300k+ household income and $50k yearly expenses.

$60k today at 5% return is worth $159,197 in 20 years and $259316.54 in 30 years.
Didn't realize that your household income is only 300k....no wonder your yearly expense is only 50k...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2013
6155 posts
10805 upvotes
Canada
iownyou wrote: Didn't realize that your household income is only 300k....no wonder your yearly expense is only 50k...
Lol
Jul 19, 2007
402 posts
111 upvotes
Markham
ansarm wrote: One thing also is I remember in the old days, higher end vehicles had really high end instrumentation and multimedia.
With IMHO Apple CarPlay universal Bluetooth and backup cameras, lane assist and other driving technologies are in standard vehicles.
It seems the gap is getting smaller and smaller
You nailed it nicely. The so called luxury brands these days cant distinguish themselves much in terms of features and functionality anymore. Where you do find the difference is in interior design and feel. The driving experience will also be considerably better. But overall doesn't really justify the cost if the difference is south of 20k IMHO.
I am speaking from my personal experience where I gave up my Benz GL and am now driving an Atlas. The GL maintenance was getting way too costly and no longer justified the addded maintenance costs. I am also happpy that I can fill up regular gas now.
Just remember one fact while shopping for new car. Whether its 100+k or 40K. It will depreciate to 0 in 10 years. The rest is your individual perception. Be smart and choose a medium ground.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)