• Feb 19th, 2021 7:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2733 posts
5417 upvotes

Premium Membership?

So this might not be a popular concept to some people, but an easy way to make a few more dollars for the website.

I was in a thread about some discount on Playstation stuff using the Source's PSP program, and it got me thinking.

I know that there are several other kinds of discount programs out there, Perkopolis, Vennego, SPC ( where you don't actually have to be a student) etc, and I think that not all of them require the company to pay in order to set that program up.

My suggestion is that RFD could sign up with one or more companies and offer discounts to users via an optional "premium" membership at a reasonable yearly price that will give users access to those discounts plus a couple other small website/ app feature. Might also reduce begging for codes etc. in threads.

Not sure what the setup for something like this would look like or how much work would go into this, but I think many users would be able to rationalize the cost of a premium membership especially if they could potentially save more than the cost of membership, and support the site.

I think having purchases made with these discounts/ codes etc. are also good for data analytics better tailor the site and promotions to the demographics of its users and their interests etc.

Anyway just a suggestion.
3 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14598 posts
27390 upvotes
Scarborough
The idea of having a premium membership has been brought up before but we've never been able to come up with a way to do in where it would actually provide a good value to subscribers.

As fun as things like custom titles, increased private message inbox space, or access to member only forums would be, we think the real benefit to subscribe would be access to coupons/discounts to popular retailers (like you mentioned). If we can figure that part out, there's a good chance of us adding a premium membership level in the future.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
2733 posts
5417 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: The idea of having a premium membership has been brought up before but we've never been able to come up with a way to do in where it would actually provide a good value to subscribers.

As fun as things like custom titles, increased private message inbox space, or access to member only forums would be, we think the real benefit to subscribe would be access to coupons/discounts to popular retailers (like you mentioned). If we can figure that part out, there's a good chance of us adding a premium membership level in the future.
I am a member of a special interest group (non profit) that as a side perk gives Perkopolis benefits to its members. Although I do pay yearly dues for membership to the group which, might be a requirement that needs to be satisfied, I have read that it doesn’t cost them anything to provide our members with the benefit, so I figure more of these discount group things would also be free.

Considering Canadian Tire roadside assistance also provides Perkopolis to its members, I don’t think there is any hard requirement I can see other than the membership to the organization or group that are providing the benefit being something you have to pay for. Something I also noticed was that when your membership with the group lapses, the benefits also do too, which would be good for retention.

I agree it might be a stretch to offer one or two discounts and having them be the main selling point of a premium membership, but getting a whole bunch of discounts in one place without doing the legwork definitely has some value.

Thanks for taking the time to read my suggestion and look forward to see what you guys do.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9204 posts
4495 upvotes
Markham
TomRFD wrote: The idea of having a premium membership has been brought up before but we've never been able to come up with a way to do in where it would actually provide a good value to subscribers.

Might be get TELUS EPP? Netflix group buy ?...