None
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
934 posts
68 upvotes
Waterloo

Premius Home phone offer

Hi,

I got a phone call from a guy who claimed he is a representative in primus.
He offered me a package for home phone like that:
1. 14.99 for the first 6 months, local, 2 features
2. 19.99 afterwards, local, 2 features
3. 24.99 if I want unlimited call within canada and usa
4. keep my current rogers phone number.

I have a few questions here:
1. how's premius's service? is there any false payment issue, reparing charge, and how's the customer service?
2. How can I make sure this guy is really from primus? He gives me a 800 number which when I called, I got no response for one minute. Is there any other way that I can identify that he is really a representative from primus?

Please let me know if you have any idea. Thank you very much!
9 replies
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
934 posts
68 upvotes
Waterloo
patrob wrote:
Dec 14th, 2007 11:52 pm
http://primus.ca/en/residential/homepho ... ervice.htm

This is what they offer for the Home Phone.

I have Primus for the TBB (voip) & no complaints, especially for the money that I am saving :)
Thank you for replying! I also did a search and their services seem ok.
But how can I identify the guy called is from the right company? I had the experience for releasing information to a fraud guy.> :( Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3294 posts
431 upvotes
Kingston
pigqq wrote:
Dec 15th, 2007 12:00 am
Thank you for replying! I also did a search and their services seem ok.
But how can I identify the guy called is from the right company? I had the experience for releasing information to a fraud guy.> :( Any suggestions?
Everything that the "guy" offered you seems legit. I am also on Primus' VOIP Unlimited package. Best bang for your buck.

As for your fraud concerns, call Primus direct @ 1-877-704-4269 and place your order. I think they are offering the first 2 months free which is an online service but ask them about it and see if you can get it through the phone.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
If you go with Primus your hom alarm system may not work anymore and the company can not get the signals.
Same for Rogers home phone.

I only found this out after I signed up- even tho i asked the alarm company, Primus and Rogers.

You can pay $200-300 for alarm system upgrades that garentee a signal though.

Primus home phone and internet sometimes go down for hours at a time for no reason...you can't get through to cust service.

Even on a regular day, it takes up to 1 hour to get tech support. :mad:

Oh, when i signed up for Primus they tried to activate the wrong phone number and I never got my modem.
They sent my info to their call centre in India and tried to activate my internet on my cell phone #
Obviously it did not work :lol: and they never bothered to follow up.

They did give me a credit for that though...

Primus is ok overall though.

If you sign a 1 year contract you can get a free RCA MP3 player that is 2gb with built in radio.
I was already a customer and they still gave me the offer for that :)

So, if you happen to be with Primus already call and ask about the free MP3 player promo :lol:
This user has no signature! :| :| :|
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
934 posts
68 upvotes
Waterloo
The representative called me again. Acutually I was disappointed with this guy. Last time, the guy told me that it was "basic" package (which when I check the web site, it includes 2 features). He said this is the price he can offer as a representative, it's a discount compared to the public advertisement. He claimed a 5$ discount. No contract (which I thought I can cancell any time without additional fees because he never say that the first time.). No system access fee.

Today when I try to confirm this item by item, he said the price for 14.95 is for one feature, the system access fee applies when you make a long distance call, there are 40$ cancelling fee if you cancel in 1 year, 5cents/min for long distance in canada and us. So acutually the price and service he offered me are exactly the same as the public adverstisement on the website. In a word, there is no "discount" at all. What he told me last time is really trying to mislead me by hiding some important information.

It's ok if a representative can not provide a discounted price. But it's bad if he tries to mislead customers. :idea: If I want to sign up with primus some day, I will defenitely not sign up through him.
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
934 posts
68 upvotes
Waterloo
Steeve Urkel wrote:
Dec 15th, 2007 9:09 am
If you sign a 1 year contract you can get a free RCA MP3 player that is 2gb with built in radio.
I was already a customer and they still gave me the offer for that :)

So, if you happen to be with Primus already call and ask about the free MP3 player promo :lol:
Thank you for telling this information. I am just curious if the price for a one year contract is the same as no contract?
[OP]
Oct 20, 2006
934 posts
68 upvotes
Waterloo
Just called the primus customer serivce. If you do not have a internet, they can not just switch the home phone service from Rogers to Primus and keep the same homephone number.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2003
1863 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
i've been with primus for a while now for high speed dsl internet, their service and support might not be as good as teksavvy's but they're up there in my books.when you call them you do have to wait on hold for a bit sometimes but once you do get them on the phone they're extremely helpful and very thorough. i recently noticed that my speeds dropped to 2.5 megabits instead of the 5mbits that I've been getting. I called them up and spoke to the tech support guy who ran a few test's figured out what the problem was and told me that they'd fix it as soon as they could. A day later he calls me back and asks me how things are and if i could run a speedtest. Surprisingly my speeds were better than they were before and the speed with which they dealt with the problem left me really impressed.

more recently when bell started throttling and capping their internet, in a form of mini protest i switched my home phone over to primus as well. i got some a bundle with them where basic phone + high speed internet+ long distance all cost less than i used to pay for high speed DSL alone when i was with Bell. extremely cool when you also consider you get air miles with them.

The best part is that i haven't experienced any throttling or bandwidth caps yet and I've never had any billing problems with them either. definite thumbs up for primus.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2005
3630 posts
4 upvotes
pigqq wrote:
Dec 15th, 2007 11:37 am
Thank you for telling this information. I am just curious if the price for a one year contract is the same as no contract?
Yup!

I am paying the same thing as when i had no contract.

But i think they might? not too sure have lowered the top package price by $10.
I think I'm paying 69.95 plus tax and swear i have recently seen the same package at 59.95...I will call them on monday even just to check.

They keep on sending me unadressed junk main 2x a week :lol:

But when i signed up I was told if I wanted to get out of the 1 year contract I had to pay the value of the MP3 player which was about $150.

I don't plan on changing companies yet, as their prices are still good.
I have unlimited North American long distance, phone line with 7 features and High speed internet inc modem rental fee, no "system access fee" bs as well!

I also like how if you go to the Rogers or Bell store a new "feature" is called "itemized billing...you are supposed to now pay extra to see all your bill every month...really BS :mad:
This user has no signature! :| :| :|