Prenatal Classes - York Region / Mackenzie Health

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2017 5:45 pm
Jul 13, 2017
66 posts
9 upvotes

Prenatal Classes - York Region / Mackenzie Health

Hello,

I am due in November and looking at prenatal classes in York region/ Mackenzie health. I am a first time mom. If any one of you have took classes from any of the listed providers, please share your experiences.

I have questions that which one is better and which one did you preferred?

Prenatal classes in York region:

Cost $45.73,
two days weekend classes,

Topics covered:

•Changes during pregnancy
•Healthy lifestyle choices
•Labour and delivery
•Breastfeeding
•Newborn care
•Adjusting to parenthood
•Parenting skills
•Perinatal mood disorder

Mackenzie health prenatal classes:

Costs 150$
One day weekend class

Changes to your body during pregnancy
• Nutrition tips and Exercise
• What to expect in late pregnancy
• Stages of labour and false labour
• Coping techniques and pain management
• Delivery of your baby
• How you will feel after your baby arrives
• Postpartum care for Mom
• Becoming parents (physical and emotional changes)
• Baby’s physical development
• Breastfeeding and feeding baby
• Holding and burping baby
• Changing diapers
• Safe sleep for baby

Thanks in advamce :)
7 replies
Nov 25, 2016
81 posts
30 upvotes
Tbik78 wrote: Hello,

I am due in November and looking at prenatal classes in York region/ Mackenzie health. I am a first time mom. If any one of you have took classes from any of the listed providers, please share your experiences.

I have questions that which one is better and which one did you preferred?

Prenatal classes in York region:

Cost $45.73,
two days weekend classes,

Topics covered:

•Changes during pregnancy
•Healthy lifestyle choices
•Labour and delivery
•Breastfeeding
•Newborn care
•Adjusting to parenthood
•Parenting skills
•Perinatal mood disorder

Mackenzie health prenatal classes:

Costs 150$
One day weekend class

Changes to your body during pregnancy
• Nutrition tips and Exercise
• What to expect in late pregnancy
• Stages of labour and false labour
• Coping techniques and pain management
• Delivery of your baby
• How you will feel after your baby arrives
• Postpartum care for Mom
• Becoming parents (physical and emotional changes)
• Baby’s physical development
• Breastfeeding and feeding baby
• Holding and burping baby
• Changing diapers
• Safe sleep for baby

Thanks in advamce :)
I took the MacKenzie health class. I think the class is worth 150. The majority of the content was stuff you can read online or books (I. E. Not new for me since I spent every spare moment reading baby websites and pregnancy books), but it was good for my husband who didn't read as extensively. The person teaching it did include tips that I found helpful (I can't remember what, but I know there was stuff because I wrote notes on the back of the handout. For example, off the top of my head, charts to track newborn pee and poo. Pouring a few tbs of water into an empty diaper so that we had a good idea what is considered a full diaper. Padsicles).

They skipped the first few topics (majority of the pregnancy topics, which I was glad for since I was in my last month already and at that point... new information about pregnancy was pretty useless to me). They did give out handouts for them.

The breastfeeding section of the class is too short (they save it for last in case people take the breastfeeding class... but the class overall had too much content for the time, so the breastfeeding topic got the short end of the stick). For this reason, I would recommend taking the breastfeeding class (if you plan on breastfeeding). I especially recommend taking your partner with you to the breastfeeding class... it makes a big difference to have the full support.

As a heads up, the one day class is painfully long. Especially when you're pregnant (tired and needing to pee all the time).

If you're looking to save costs, this class could be skipped if you read baby websites and books (borrow at library). The breastfeeding stuff could also be skipped; if the hospital has, contact the lactation consultant (usually free).
Jul 13, 2017
66 posts
9 upvotes
Thank you. I will definitely look into pregnancy books. I also found great youtube prenatal classes.
Mar 22, 2011
706 posts
248 upvotes
If you are thinking of breastfeeding, It's hard to explain or fully understand when you don't have your baby in your arms. I highly recommend visiting a breastfeeding clinic near your home or at your hospital after the baby is born. I found it much more helpful because each baby/mother is different and a generic video sometimes doesn't apply to you. The videos always pick the most cooperative baby who latches on perfectly and doesn't fuss...etc etc.

I agree with Mikaelali. Most of the information can be found online or maternity books. I did not go to any pre-natal class and really, after the baby was born, the nurse will still show you how to change their diaper and give them a sponge bath, how often the baby should have a bowel movement/urinate....
After the baby is born, you really pick things up quickly and become an expert really fast!
Jun 26, 2007
464 posts
99 upvotes
GTA
I went to the York Region prenatal class although it was 6-7 years ago. The instructor was the same instructor who taught the prenatal class at North York General, where I had my baby.

For a first time parent, I thought the prenatal class is still good. I agree that after your baby is born, you will pick up things quickly. What I found useful about the prenatal class are what to expect during labour, practice breathing techniques. Those I find useful.

Can't really learn the details of breastfeeding until you have the baby. Definitely take advantage of the breastfeeding clinics at the hospital or at York Region health. I went to a few after the birth of my first b/c he wasn't feeding well and the 1-on-1 help was tremendously helpful.
Jul 13, 2017
66 posts
9 upvotes
That is great information. If instructor is same. I will definitely going to York region's one. :)

Thank you
Oct 15, 2004
49 posts
14 upvotes
Also did the prenatal class through York region as we were too late to register for one at the hospital. It was informative and well done. A nurse who just had her baby was our instructor.

I would also recommend you do a hospital tour on top of this prenatal class as you would get this tour if you did the prenatal class at the hospital you are planning to give birth at. This way you know where you are going on the day your baby decides to arrive ☺️
Feb 12, 2009
262 posts
43 upvotes
North York
The wife and I did it last year with Southlake o think it was$200. Worth it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)