• Jun 2nd, 2021 10:58 am
[OP]
May 24, 2012
289 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto

Prenatal Vitamins

Hello!

We are starting to think about kids and are currently researching prenatal vitamins.
I was wondering if anyone could share any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!
15 replies
May 6, 2006
190 posts
94 upvotes
Victoria
The Costco ones are good! My wife took those ones a lot.
I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic
Apr 22, 2007
307 posts
77 upvotes
Markham
+1 for Costco prenatals! Best value, and a jar lasts quite a while.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3530 posts
1299 upvotes
Woodbridge
My wife has been taking the Costco ones as well. She's also been reading stuff and watching videos of OBGYNs about this stuff and one point that was made was that the folic acid in most prenatals is synthetic and not all people can break it down as easily. She recommended finding a prenatal that has at least 400mcg of L-methylfolate. The Costco one has 1000mcg of folic acid.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3250974/

"Dr. Greenberg: Is l-methlyfolate a better option than folic acid for prenatal care?

Ms. Bell: It may be. Taking the bioavailable form of any nutrient guarantees that adequate amounts are being provided. About 40% to 60% of the population has genetic polymorphisms that impair the conversion of supplemental folic acid to its active form, l-methylfolate."
Jun 13, 2019
738 posts
744 upvotes
Toronto
We wanted to go with Kirkland one but then got Materna as recommended by the family doctor..
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6838 posts
358 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally, unless you have a medical issue then any over the counter prenatal vitamin is fine. Kirkland prenatal vitamins are the best bang for buck though. Ideally you should start 2-3 months before you start trying to make sure you have the proper nutrients. Depending on how serious or deep into the rabbit hole you want to go into regarding nutrition, there’s sooo much you can do to boost your intake. Its not just folic acid but other vitamins as well. Learning what is easier for the body to break down what’s slower etc. For the most part, if you take a prenatal vitamin, drink folic acid and vitamin D enriched juice, breads made with enriched flour, more leafy green vegetables then you’ll be fine for folic acid.
[OP]
May 24, 2012
289 posts
68 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks everyone! We ended up going with the Materna+DHA Combo!
Seems very similar to Kirkland, but we think the added DHA might be worth it in the long run.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1813 posts
1560 upvotes
Ottawa
She really doesn't need a full prenatal until she's pregnant. Don't throw your money away needlessly.

She does, however, need to take folic acid at least 3 months before you start trying. It's super important for baby's spinal cord development.

My wife uses Nature's Bounty or Webber Naturals because they don't have the fillers and crazy non medicinal ingredients a lot of the big prenatels have.

I just looked up Kirkland and it looks pretty good on first glance.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1249 posts
313 upvotes
We buy Materna from Costco and then pair it up with Omega3 supplements to get the DHA.
It's cheaper than getting the Materna-branded DHA supplements.
Oct 12, 2007
284 posts
83 upvotes
Vancouver
Only trust the best, natural, and food-based multivitamins. Megafood Baby & Me 2 is the best, and just eat fatty fish for DHA.

Unless you are taking high quality cod liver oil, DHA supplements are probably rancid, or they aren't DHA at all if they are plant based (except algae which is questionable). You want your DHA from the freshest source because a lot of DHA supplements and oils were studied and found to be rancid from being on the shelf too long despite the expiry date.
Mar 27, 2021
162 posts
261 upvotes
Ask your doctor and they can prescribe prenatal vitamins if your benefits cover prescription vitamins/supplements.

It's the RFD way!

Same with allergy medicine :)
Long Time RFDer / restarting life
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7064 posts
1396 upvotes
Scarborough
There's also Pregvit......Dr can prescribe it