Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)
Last Update: November 21, 2022
I noticed there have been people hunting prepaid credit/gift cards so I put into a list as below that are offered to Canadians. This thread is about prepaid Visa/Mastercard/AMEX/Union Pay brand card and not about secured credit card. While they are similar in nature, secured cards do affect credit score ratings whereas prepaid ones don't.
Note: Be aware most cards (whether reloadable or not) CANNOT be used for recurring charges (a.k.a. pre-authorized debit). This may result in your card being declined for certain online transactions even when funds are available on the card. If you intend on purchasing a card for online transaction, make sure to read the cardholder agreement and ascertain how the charges will be processed or you may be disappointed.
Read the FAQ here: prepaid-credit-cards-continuously-updat ... #p28496685
The Financial Consumer Agency of Canada published a useful guide where you will find more info about the card products.
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-cons ... cards.html
The only prepaid cards that are embossed (ie. with numbers raised on the card) are the BMO Travel MasterCard & Desjardins Visa Card (QC/ON only). All other cards are 'flat', only for electronic authorization only.
You can now find Prepaid Cards at:
Non-Reloadable ones No ID required [YMMV].
- 7-11, London Drugs, Walmart, Circle K (Vanilla Prepaid Visa Card $35, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 20-500 denominations) (Loading Fee -$4.95 to 8.95. Funds do not expire)
- Safeway, Shoppers Drug Mart, Safe-on-Foods, Rexall (The Prefect Gift Visa Gift Cards $25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 250, 200-500, 500 denominations) (Loading Fee -$3.95 to 9.95. Funds do not expire) Monthly Fees (after the first 12 months)
- Canada Post (Canada Post Single Load Prepaid Card $25-500 denominations) (Loading Fee -$3.95 to 6.95. Funds do not expire)
https://www.slpcard.ca/cholder/welcome. ... _locale=en
- MasterCard https://www.mastercard.ca/en-ca/consume ... -card.html
- 7-11, MoneyMart, London Drugs, Walmart (Vanilla Mastercard $25, 50, 100 or 200) (Loading Fee $3.95-6.95 Funds do not expire, beware certain websites will not accept this card due to lack of address registration)
- Circle K (Vanilla Gaming Prepaid Mastercard $25, 50, 100, 200, 20-200) (Loading Fee $3.95-7.95 Funds do not expire, specifically designed for online gambling and gaming)
- Shoppers Drug Mart, Safe-on-Foods, Rexall (The Prefect Gift MasterCard Gift Cards $25, 50, 100, 200, 200-500 denominations) (Loading Fee -$3.95 to 9.95. Funds do not expire) Monthly Fees (after the first 12 months)
- 7-11/Walmart/Petro Canada/Circle K (One Vanilla Mastercard/SecureSpend Prepaid Mastercard Max $500) (Loading Fee $7.95 Funds do not expire)
- Giftcards.ca (Virtual Joker Prepaid Mastercard $25-500) (Loading Fee $7.95 Funds do not expire) VIRTUAL CARD - NO PHYSICAL CARD FOR ONLINE PURCHASE ONLY
- American Express
- London Drugs (AMEX Gift Card $25, 50, 100 or 200) (Loading Fee $3.95-6.95. Funds do not expire) (issued by Peoples Trust)
Reloadable Ones ID Required by law.
- PC Money Account Mastercard (No fees) (Chip Enabled)
- Wealthsimple Mastercard Prepaid Card (Chip Enabled)
- Koho Mastercard Prepaid card (No fees) Chip Enabled)
- STACK Prepaid Mastercard Card (No fees) (Chip Enabled)
- Bank of Montreal Prepaid Travel MasterCard ($6.95 annual fee, account bill payment/transfer only)
http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/bankin ... edit-cards
- My Vanilla Reloadable MasterCard (Available at 7-11, Fine Foods in SK and Avondale Food Stores in ON)
- PayPower (Safeway, Save-on-Foods, Rexall, Canadian Tire & Home Depot, excluding SK) ($9.95+tax purchase fee, monthly fee $4.95)
- Titanium+ MasterCard @ MoneyMart ($12.99 + tax Purchase Fee, $0.50 per POS if choose the $6.50 monthly fee option or pay $12.99/mth without POS/ATM fee. Chip Enabled)
- Visa https://www.visa.ca/en_CA/pay-with-visa ... cards.html
- We Financial Visa Prepaid card (at Northern, NorthMart, Valu Lots, and select Giant Tiger stores. Chip Enabled)
- Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card (Chip Enabled)
- Canada Post Prepaid Reloadable Visa Card (Chip Enabled)
US Dollars/Euro/British Pound/Chinese Yuan card
- Air Canada AC conversion Visa Prepaid Card (Chip Enabled)
https://acconversion.cibc.com/cholder/c ... ome.action
- Canada Post Cash Passport Prepaid MasterCard (CAD, USD, EUR, GBP, JPY, AUD, MXN) (Chip Enabled)
- ICBK UnionPay Prepaid Card (Chinese Yuan only - at ICBK Branches)
http://www.icbk.ca/EN_new/Personal/Card ... rvices.htm
Corporate Incentives - only available as bulk order
- Blackhawk Network On Demand
- Berkeley Payment MasterCard Prepaid Card (Funds DO expire)
- The Gift Card Group ($5000 maximum load for MasterCard and $2500 maximum load for AMEX)(Funds DO expire)
https://www.storefrontdirect.com/thegif ... ards.html/