Credit Cards

Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 1:07 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 12, 2008
442 posts
168 upvotes
Richmond Hill
nochill wrote: I have 5 and I reload multiple cards in the same visit. Seems to have a much better success rate than reloading more than once on a single card per visit.

To simplify things I tend to consolidate the balance on one card then just spend using that one.
Have you registered your cards?
Dec 16, 2012
234 posts
111 upvotes
GTA
minib26 wrote: I just got a new PP card at an Richmond Hill Metro (possibly Aurora) at the previous 6.95 purchase fee. Haven't found any PP cards at metro's in Scarborough or sobey's downtown.
Thanks! That's not too far from me.
VH99 wrote: what color is yr pp card? their new card is kinda black (dark) in color ... which has the new load fee ...
The card was black so it must have been the new card. Hope I can find some $6.95 cards before the new fee becomes the norm.
nochill wrote: Why are you folks paying for the card? It's free to get online the last time I checked... or am I missing something?
Some of us buy them at grocery stores that accept Amex for 5X Cobalt points. You then use them at places where you don't get 5X points for example.
May 4, 2010
260 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
portraitofruin wrote: Some of us buy them at grocery stores that accept Amex for 5X Cobalt points. You then use them at places where you don't get 5X points for example.
Reloads count as a grocery store purchase, the reload fee is/was a bit cheaper than the activation fee ($4.95 vs $6.95), and you're not dependent on the store having cards in stock. Your name is on each card which might be good or bad.
Jul 27, 2017
400 posts
556 upvotes
introspect wrote: Reloads count as a grocery store purchase, the reload fee is/was a bit cheaper than the activation fee ($4.95 vs $6.95), and you're not dependent on the store having cards in stock. Your name is on each card which might be good or bad.
This.

The other potential issue with ordering cards online is they take a while to arrive (2 - 3 weeks for me), so may or may not work for you. But if you don't mind waiting you can order 4x in one go.
Jul 27, 2017
400 posts
556 upvotes
mikeycanuk wrote: So you can multiple cards registered to you?
Yes. I registered them just in case I need to shop online with any of the cards in the future.

Not certain if there is a limit to how many you can register though... you can only order up to 4x online, but I assume you can buy as many as you like in stores.
Dec 16, 2012
234 posts
111 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for clarifying. I'm new to PP and also misunderstood @nochill's question.

I've seen one member comment about buying a new $500 card every time but not registering auto-reload to avoid the monthly fee. I think I'll use this approach since I see other members having trouble reloading at some grocery stores. Unless these stories represent a minority?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19731 posts
28605 upvotes
Vancouver
@cahk

Thanks for this list. Upvoted.

Most of these cards can only be loaded with cash or e-transfer, but some (MyVanilla, PayPower, etc) can be loaded with a credit card. Is it possible for you to indicate the credit card-loadable ones in your list?
Jul 3, 2017
295 posts
196 upvotes
nochill wrote: Why are you folks paying for the card? It's free to get online the last time I checked... or am I missing something?
portraitofruin wrote: Some of us buy them at grocery stores that accept Amex for 5X Cobalt points. You then use them at places where you don't get 5X points for example.
introspect wrote: Reloads count as a grocery store purchase, the reload fee is/was a bit cheaper than the activation fee ($4.95 vs $6.95), and you're not dependent on the store having cards in stock. Your name is on each card which might be good or bad.
more like the last quote here... using a reloadable card has the posibility of avoiding the monthly fee if you deplete your balance to $0 prior to the fee date (date you ordered the card or turned a purchased in store card into reloadable) .
portraitofruin wrote: Thanks for clarifying. I'm new to PP and also misunderstood @nochill's question.

I've seen one member comment about buying a new $500 card every time but not registering auto-reload to avoid the monthly fee. I think I'll use this approach since I see other members having trouble reloading at some grocery stores. Unless these stories represent a minority?
This could make sense but the purchase fee will always be higher than the reload fee, not to mention the hassle of chasing when cards are in stock. With a reloadable card you'll be able to use it for automatic charges and save gas not looking for cards in store.

Reloading for the most part works 70% of the time, with the later 30% being untrained employees. Just find a store that knows how to reload and stick to it, the store managers already know me by name in 3 different stores LOL.
Kiraly wrote: @cahk

Thanks for this list. Upvoted.

Most of these cards can only be loaded with cash or e-transfer, but some (MyVanilla, PayPower, etc) can be loaded with a credit card. Is it possible for you to indicate the credit card-loadable ones in your list?
Paypower is reloadable with cc at Metro / Sobeys. Vanilla is reloadable with cc at 7 eleven
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2147 posts
958 upvotes
I remember reading somewhere that one can have at most 5 Select PP cards, but I cannot find this info anywhere now. If this still is the rule, what happens if one tries to make the 6th card Select?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kiraly wrote: Are those the only two?
Paypower MC can also be reloaded at Food Basics.
But, YMMV on getting a cashier that knows how to do it properly.
Jun 21, 2016
230 posts
88 upvotes
This is my first kick at this can!
I went to Rexall, they had the silver reloadable $20-500 Paypower cards. I brought it to the cash, they scanned and asked how much I wanted to load. I thought (maybe mistakenly) that I had to buy it for $6.99, bring it home to activate and then bring it somewhere to load on the amount??
I didn’t get it. Do I activate on line after I have paid and had it loaded in store?
My intent is to load on $500, take it to Costco to purchase a Cash card for the entire amount.
Appreciate your help!
May 4, 2010
260 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Paypower MC can also be reloaded at Food Basics.
I went to one, saw their card rack was cleared, asked the cashier if they could try a card ordered online. Tried several times and the barcode was not recognized so it seemed like a non-starter if it wouldn't scan at all. It does makes me wonder if cards that were purchased in store and made reloadable would have worked. Metro terminals don't seem to have this issue, unless there's some additional step that I don't see.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19731 posts
28605 upvotes
Vancouver
What I meant was...are PayPower and Vanilla the only prepaid Visa/MC that can be loaded with a credit card?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6264 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: What I meant was...are PayPower and Vanilla the only prepaid Visa/MC that can be loaded with a credit card?
Yes.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Aug 2, 2013
79 posts
35 upvotes
What card are you purchasing the PP with? Rexall won't register as a food merchant, so if you are using a card with 5x/4x grocery multiplier you aren't maximizing the points or cashback return by purchasing at Rexall.
Jul 3, 2017
295 posts
196 upvotes
introspect wrote: I went to one, saw their card rack was cleared, asked the cashier if they could try a card ordered online. Tried several times and the barcode was not recognized so it seemed like a non-starter if it wouldn't scan at all. It does makes me wonder if cards that were purchased in store and made reloadable would have worked. Metro terminals don't seem to have this issue, unless there's some additional step that I don't see.
I had the same experience as introspect, I've only tried one food basics though. @vkizzle care to share the store where you reloaded successfully? I'll try another one I know and report back.
Dec 16, 2012
234 posts
111 upvotes
GTA
PhobMX wrote: more like the last quote here... using a reloadable card has the posibility of avoiding the monthly fee if you deplete your balance to $0 prior to the fee date (date you ordered the card or turned a purchased in store card into reloadable) .

This could make sense but the purchase fee will always be higher than the reload fee, not to mention the hassle of chasing when cards are in stock. With a reloadable card you'll be able to use it for automatic charges and save gas not looking for cards in store.

Reloading for the most part works 70% of the time, with the later 30% being untrained employees. Just find a store that knows how to reload and stick to it, the store managers already know me by name in 3 different stores LOL.
Does this mean I won't ever be charged a monthly fee, provided I reload and deplete the balance each month? I assume this means reloading is the only fee I'll be paying (after initial purchase).

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)