Credit Cards

Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 14th, 2021 3:21 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1935 posts
749 upvotes
I remember reading somewhere that one can have at most 5 Select PP cards, but I cannot find this info anywhere now. If this still is the rule, what happens if one tries to make the 6th card Select?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
Kiraly wrote: Are those the only two?
Paypower MC can also be reloaded at Food Basics.
But, YMMV on getting a cashier that knows how to do it properly.
Jun 21, 2016
194 posts
54 upvotes
Hamilton
This is my first kick at this can!
I went to Rexall, they had the silver reloadable $20-500 Paypower cards. I brought it to the cash, they scanned and asked how much I wanted to load. I thought (maybe mistakenly) that I had to buy it for $6.99, bring it home to activate and then bring it somewhere to load on the amount??
I didn’t get it. Do I activate on line after I have paid and had it loaded in store?
My intent is to load on $500, take it to Costco to purchase a Cash card for the entire amount.
Appreciate your help!
May 4, 2010
260 posts
246 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: Paypower MC can also be reloaded at Food Basics.
I went to one, saw their card rack was cleared, asked the cashier if they could try a card ordered online. Tried several times and the barcode was not recognized so it seemed like a non-starter if it wouldn't scan at all. It does makes me wonder if cards that were purchased in store and made reloadable would have worked. Metro terminals don't seem to have this issue, unless there's some additional step that I don't see.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10626 posts
12851 upvotes
Vancouver
What I meant was...are PayPower and Vanilla the only prepaid Visa/MC that can be loaded with a credit card?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
5368 posts
3895 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: What I meant was...are PayPower and Vanilla the only prepaid Visa/MC that can be loaded with a credit card?
Yes.
📱 Telus: $30/25GB Peace of Mind Plan + 1000 International minutes
🎁 Moola: 25% bonus on everyday essentials (Walmart, Esso and Uber Eats)
💳 Credit card combo (2.5 - 10% return): AmEx + Scotiabank + CIBC
Aug 2, 2013
70 posts
17 upvotes
What card are you purchasing the PP with? Rexall won't register as a food merchant, so if you are using a card with 5x/4x grocery multiplier you aren't maximizing the points or cashback return by purchasing at Rexall.
Jul 3, 2017
270 posts
185 upvotes
introspect wrote: I went to one, saw their card rack was cleared, asked the cashier if they could try a card ordered online. Tried several times and the barcode was not recognized so it seemed like a non-starter if it wouldn't scan at all. It does makes me wonder if cards that were purchased in store and made reloadable would have worked. Metro terminals don't seem to have this issue, unless there's some additional step that I don't see.
I had the same experience as introspect, I've only tried one food basics though. @vkizzle care to share the store where you reloaded successfully? I'll try another one I know and report back.
Dec 16, 2012
224 posts
109 upvotes
GTA
PhobMX wrote: more like the last quote here... using a reloadable card has the posibility of avoiding the monthly fee if you deplete your balance to $0 prior to the fee date (date you ordered the card or turned a purchased in store card into reloadable) .

This could make sense but the purchase fee will always be higher than the reload fee, not to mention the hassle of chasing when cards are in stock. With a reloadable card you'll be able to use it for automatic charges and save gas not looking for cards in store.

Reloading for the most part works 70% of the time, with the later 30% being untrained employees. Just find a store that knows how to reload and stick to it, the store managers already know me by name in 3 different stores LOL.
Does this mean I won't ever be charged a monthly fee, provided I reload and deplete the balance each month? I assume this means reloading is the only fee I'll be paying (after initial purchase).
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3576 posts
1196 upvotes
Ontario
Quick question on non-reloadable PP MCs:

Can I transfer more than $500 onto one card via the website for no fee from another card?

Ex: $500 from Card 1 to Card 2 which has a $500 balance = $1000 balance on Card 2 with no transfer fees
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (1.1%, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35533 posts
21588 upvotes
Center of Universe
PhobMX wrote: I had the same experience as introspect, I've only tried one food basics though. @vkizzle care to share the store where you reloaded successfully? I'll try another one I know and report back.
I'm from Ottawa...can't see your location.
But, if you live in Kanata, the Town Centre location can reload, provided you use the cash that sells lottery tickets, as they appear to more experienced.
Jun 21, 2016
194 posts
54 upvotes
Hamilton
markg1000 wrote: What card are you purchasing the PP with? Rexall won't register as a food merchant, so if you are using a card with 5x/4x grocery multiplier you aren't maximizing the points or cashback return by purchasing at Rexall.
I am just interested in meeting minimum spend right now on an Amex Gold.
Can anyone answer my question about activating after purchased and loaded?
Thanks in advance!
Jul 27, 2017
186 posts
229 upvotes
Ontariotraveller wrote: This is my first kick at this can!
I went to Rexall, they had the silver reloadable $20-500 Paypower cards. I brought it to the cash, they scanned and asked how much I wanted to load. I thought (maybe mistakenly) that I had to buy it for $6.99, bring it home to activate and then bring it somewhere to load on the amount??
I didn’t get it. Do I activate on line after I have paid and had it loaded in store?
My intent is to load on $500, take it to Costco to purchase a Cash card for the entire amount.
Appreciate your help!
If you buy it in stores, the $6.95 activation fee includes the initial load, so just tell cashier how much you want loaded when they are ringing it up.

If you want to reload the same card after the initial load, go online and upgrade the card to a reloadable card, then you can go back to the store and reload at a lower fee ($4.95 at the moment). The monthly fee will also kick in so watch out for that.

My preference is to order the cards online (free but slow delivery), activate and make reloadable online (free if you have $0 balance which is what you start with this way), reload as needed in stores, deplete the balance regularly to avoid monthly fees. But depends on your usage.
portraitofruin wrote: Does this mean I won't ever be charged a monthly fee, provided I reload and deplete the balance each month? I assume this means reloading is the only fee I'll be paying (after initial purchase).
Yes if you can figure out the date that the monthly fee kicks in and deplete the balance before then. The date does not appear to be the same across accounts, based on current DPs.
Jan 24, 2007
433 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Ontariotraveller wrote: This is my first kick at this can!
Appreciate your help!
which rexall did you find these at? i'm looking to meet minimum spend on my amex Gold as well and could use some alternatives to metro / sobeys.
Jun 21, 2016
194 posts
54 upvotes
Hamilton
minib26 wrote: which rexall did you find these at? i'm looking to meet minimum spend on my amex Gold as well and could use some alternatives to metro / sobeys.
It is in Hamilton, Upper Ottawa and Stonechurch.
Jun 21, 2016
194 posts
54 upvotes
Hamilton
Sorry for my newbie questions! So, if I buy and load the card at the store, I am good to go? no need to register or activate online until the card is spent and I want to reload? Is there a time lapse between loading the card and using it? Eg. Can I go from Buying the card right to Costco to get a Cash Card? Thanks!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1935 posts
749 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote: I remember reading somewhere that one can have at most 5 Select PP cards, but I cannot find this info anywhere now. If this still is the rule, what happens if one tries to make the 6th card Select?
Shameless bump... anybody has any DPs on this?
Jul 27, 2017
186 posts
229 upvotes
Ontariotraveller wrote: Sorry for my newbie questions! So, if I buy and load the card at the store, I am good to go? no need to register or activate online until the card is spent and I want to reload? Thanks!
Folks here can correct me if I'm wrong but I think you still need to activate online after initial load? Been a while since I got a fresh one in stores.

Also I believe to use the card for online shopping and ATM withdrawals, you need to register.

Edit: and yes you can use it at Costco / Costco.ca to buy Cash Cards
Jul 27, 2017
186 posts
229 upvotes
Ontariotraveller wrote: Sorry for my newbie questions! So, if I buy and load the card at the store, I am good to go? no need to register or activate online until the card is spent and I want to reload? Is there a time lapse between loading the card and using it? Eg. Can I go from Buying the card right to Costco to get a Cash Card? Thanks!
You can use it right away after loading, pretty instanteous. I've shopped at Safeway right after reloading there.