Credit Cards

Prepaid Credit Cards (Continuously Updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 3:46 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10057 posts
6148 upvotes
greg123 wrote: Churned all the AMEX already within the year, and they don't take AMEX, so maximizing the Cobalt 5x is the best I can do right now. From the previous posts doesnt seem like anyone have successfully reloaded Paypower in any of the grocery stores?

Have anyone consistently bought prepaid cards then combining them to pay for large purchases? I'm paying easily 30K/year on stuff that only get 2% cashback, when I can be getting 5x with Cobalt.
Buy Myvanilla prepaid if there is 7-11 store close to you.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
greg123 wrote: Churned all the AMEX already within the year, and they don't take AMEX, so maximizing the Cobalt 5x is the best I can do right now. From the previous posts doesnt seem like anyone have successfully reloaded Paypower in any of the grocery stores?

Have anyone consistently bought prepaid cards then combining them to pay for large purchases? I'm paying easily 30K/year on stuff that only get 2% cashback, when I can be getting 5x with Cobalt.
Have you considered asking your dentist for a referral to another dentist? :-)
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K AGAIN! | Plat 60K | Biz Gold 40K | Gold 25K | SPG 20K
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
minimalist wrote: Can anyone kindly point me to grocery stores in Ottawa and Gatineau that sell $500 prepaid cards? I'd like to know which stores will willingly sell me a prepaid card if I pay with a credit card.
Food Basics, but not all may have the $500 limit.
I live in Kanata and have to go between two locations to get a $500 card.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
vkizzle wrote: Food Basics, but not all may have the $500 limit.
Thanks. Will check it out.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada

Switch to a dentist that takes AMEX. use Google or the Amex Maps link below to find it
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Food Basics, but not all may have the $500 limit.
Metro on March rd have a big display of them, $20-$500Prepaid Paypower , allow credit card.
Last edited by greg123 on Mar 23rd, 2018 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
SnoopDop wrote: Switch to a dentist that takes AMEX. use Google or the Amex Maps link below to find it
what link? The one I'm using now was highly recommended so might have to stick with them.

So I bought Paypower $500 cost 6.95 to load, from my conversion with customer service, it is better to buy $500 x 20 and have the dental office charge each card $500 at a time vs making the card re loadable because I will be paying $4.95/monthly + $4.95 reload fee which would only let me reload $500 at a time?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
1680 posts
877 upvotes
Kanada
greg123 wrote: what link? The one I'm using now was highly recommended so might have to stick with them.

So I bought Paypower $500 cost 6.95 to load, from my conversion with customer service, it is better to buy $500 x 20 and have the dental office charge each card $500 at a time vs making the card re loadable because I will be paying $4.95/monthly + $4.95 reload fee which would only let me reload $500 at a time?
Here is the link:
https://maps.americanexpress.com/ca/cards-welcome

I actually found my dentist by searching using that AMEX Maps site and found that it is a highly recommended dentist. Sticks to provincial fee guide, won consumer awards...
Part of the art of working in customer service, at any company, is the ability to invent plausible explanations for unexpected outcomes. An algorithm makes the decision. The agent does not necessarily know why.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
greg123 wrote: Metro on March rd have a big display of them, $20-$500Prepaid Paypower , allow credit card.
Visited Food Basics on Kirkwood, Ottawa today. No PayPower MC. It looks like they removed them all. There was an empty space and a PayPower sign above the space.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41801 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
minimalist wrote: Visited Food Basics on Kirkwood, Ottawa today. No PayPower MC. It looks like they removed them all. There was an empty space and a PayPower sign above the space.
Yup, hit and miss between the two locations here in Kanata also.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Looks like PayPower MC cannot be added to Paypal?

I thought I did so before but now I'm getting an error message.
Jan 7, 2017
78 posts
20 upvotes
minimalist wrote: Looks like PayPower MC cannot be added to Paypal?

I thought I did so before but now I'm getting an error message.
I just use it through paypal two weeks ago.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Captainlin wrote: I just use it through paypal two weeks ago.
My bad. Address format was slightly off.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
Anyone tried the Food Basics on Merivale (near Baseline - Ottawa)?

djino
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
why are you guys getting Paypower MCs from Basics instead of Metro? Theres huge display of them in most of the Metros in Ottawa?
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
Found MANY(like 20+) PayPower MC (PPP) at Sobeys yesterday, loaded $500+$6.95 on AMEX card
activated it on cell phone and used $100 right away elsewhere

Tried and Cannot add PPP MC to PayTM though, too bad
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: Found MANY(like 20+) PayPower MC (PPP) at Sobeys yesterday, loaded $500+$6.95 on AMEX card
activated it on cell phone and used $100 right away elsewhere

Tried and Cannot add PPP MC to PayTM though, too bad
Question for Jerry and others: Are you typically spending $506.95 on a PP card just to meet the $500 threshold monthly for the 2500 points or are you using it to convert all your spend to AMEX MR Select points?

Put another way, Paypower seems like a good way to turn a Cobalt Card into a 3.6% back card for daily spend... or at the very least, become a good card for Costco.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
26763 posts
9333 upvotes
where I belong
atomiton wrote: Question for Jerry and others: Are you typically spending $506.95 on a PP card just to meet the $500 threshold monthly for the 2500 points or are you using it to convert all your spend to AMEX MR Select points?

Put another way, Paypower seems like a good way to turn a Cobalt Card into a 3.6% back card for daily spend... or at the very least, become a good card for Costco.
I don't have Cobalt
I don't have issues meeting upcoming Min. Spending requirements either
It's just 1st time I saw/noticed PPP and bought one for fun, to see which places I can use - Costco, Chinese grocery markets
If it works great, I'll churn more AMEX then :)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's Mega Thread of Credit Cards Q&A
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
3105 posts
1530 upvotes
jerryhung wrote: I don't have Cobalt
I don't have issues meeting upcoming Min. Spending requirements either
It's just 1st time I saw/noticed PPP and bought one for fun, to see which places I can use - Costco, Chinese grocery markets
If it works great, I'll churn more AMEX then :)
True... though if you ONLY used PP cards to meet Min. spend, it essentially means adding $69.50 to the annual fee of an Amex card with a $5000 Minimum spend... and $97.30 to something like the Amex Biz Plat's $499 annual fee. $596 for 75k (60k + 15k) is getting close to paying 1¢ / point... which means you need to extract at LEAST 2.75% back out of the card to make it equal to something like the Rogers 1.75% cashback.

Unless I'm missing something
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
Have anyone in Ottawa successfully found a location that will reload more than $500 on paypower? It seems with the $4.95/monthly fee + $4.95 reload fee, I might as well buy a new $500 card?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

YVR BOY