None
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1454 posts
503 upvotes
Ottawa

Prepaid Hong Kong sim

Anyone know of a *prepaid* sim card in hk that allows you to check the balance online?

Basically I am looking for one that I can check the balance from Canada and top up when needed.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
csi123 wrote: Anyone know of a *prepaid* sim card in hk that allows you to check the balance online?

Basically I am looking for one that I can check the balance from Canada and top up when needed.
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/ca/plan ... m-card.jsp

You can get that in the arrival building in HK. Within 15 minutes you can use the phone for call/text/data.
Topping up anywhere on earth is a piece of cake
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1454 posts
503 upvotes
Ottawa
danieltoronto wrote: Topping up anywhere on earth is a piece of cake
Thanks. Just want to confirm, are you sure you can check the balance online?

Like you said pretty much any prepaid sim allows you to top up online. The problem is finding one that you can check the balance online so you know when to top up if you are out of the network.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8513 posts
3685 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
I think most of them do, just that you need to do the initial sign up while on network as they usually require SMS verification.

I know my China Mobile one was like that.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
csi123 wrote: Thanks. Just want to confirm, are you sure you can check the balance online?

Like you said pretty much any prepaid sim allows you to top up online. The problem is finding one that you can check the balance online so you know when to top up if you are out of the network.
You can do that on line to renew either for 5 or 8 days up to 6 months
Check balance on line or type on the phone ##122# SEND
Daniel

Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
csi123 wrote: Thanks. Just want to confirm, are you sure you can check the balance online?

After 5 or 8 days you are out the last day at 23:59.
When I was there, I went downstairs to any 711 to pay in hk cash to renew it. Trust me it is very convenient. Do not think in Canadian/US mind set.
Daniel

Jan 30, 2013
861 posts
182 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
csi123 wrote: Anyone know of a *prepaid* sim card in hk that allows you to check the balance online?

How long can the unused credit last on the prepaid sim?
Can this work in canada OP asked:type on the phone ##122# SEND . (in Canada)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
goldenball wrote: How long can the unused credit last on the prepaid sim?
It lasts 5 or 8 days after topping up (depending on the user's need). Say if you purchase the 5 days' pass, on the 6 th day (after midnight), it expires and and it needs to be topped up.
goldenball wrote: Can this work in canada OP asked:type on the phone ##122# SEND . (in Canada)
The OP asked "checking balance on line'. It does not make sense not to go on line if the phone is located in Canada

[please note I talk about that particular prepaid card. Not all prepaid cards in HK]
Daniel

May 2, 2012
9 posts
Toronto
Hi ! How come to top up the sim in full price, everytime when I back to H.K. I bought sim in Ap Liu Street with 50% off the normal price. When I use up the card I buy a new with another 50% off. I bought a China mobile with unlimited data just HK$3.00 per day.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
svdrnon wrote: Hi ! How come to top up the sim in full price, everytime when I back to H.K. I bought sim in Ap Liu Street with 50% off the normal price. When I use up the card I buy a new with another 50% off. I bought a China mobile with unlimited data just HK$3.00 per day.
Different carriers. I am sure deals came from time to time deals. Also changing SIM card results in different phone #
Daniel