PREPAID - Koodo VoLTE Changes - Manitoba

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 2:21 pm
[OP]
Jan 22, 2016
98 posts
67 upvotes

PREPAID - Koodo VoLTE Changes - Manitoba

Koodo: As of March 16, 2021, our Prepaid network in Manitoba will be changing and select areas of Winnipeg and Brandon may experience reduced calling coverage. Data speeds will remain unaffected. In order to maintain the best calling coverage after March 16, 2021, changes will need to be made to your account. For more information, please call us at 1-866-995-6636. Free Koodo Msg
Got this message this morning on my spouse's phone, so we called in. Apparently they are upgrading (translation: shutting stuff down) areas of Winnipeg and Brandon to VoLTE service only, and of course the prepaid plans do not qualify. We are most likely going to wait until after March 16 to see what the voice coverage ends up like. Of course they offered to move us to a postpaid plan. Seriously, there is no technical reason for this; both our phones AFAIK are VoLTE capable, they just don't want to support it. I'm considering a CCTS complaint.

I do have a question though. Does anyone know if similar things are happening or have happened in BC, particularly in the Victoria area? We are heavily considering a move to the coast this summer, so would like to know if this is an issue there.
7 replies
Mar 2, 2017
189 posts
159 upvotes
Similar discussion in this thread. Try checking what bands your phone currently connects to when making a call while inside.
Dec 6, 2020
289 posts
263 upvotes
User864023 wrote: I do have a question though. Does anyone know if similar things are happening or have happened in BC, particularly in the Victoria area? We are heavily considering a move to the coast this summer, so would like to know if this is an issue there.
1. Don't move to the coast.

2. Bad policies always spread. If Telus is using 3G shutdown as a tool to force people to pay more for cell phone service in one area, you can be certain they'll be doing it everywhere else sooner rather than later. You can also be certain that the other carriers will follow suit. This is the nature of markets that are both non-competitive and under-regulated.
[OP]
Jan 22, 2016
98 posts
67 upvotes
middleofnowhere wrote: 1. Don't move to the coast.
Yeah, the alternative is staying in Winnipeg, which is fast becoming a non-option.
Nov 27, 2006
12 posts
7 upvotes
Winnipeg
I got a similar message from Public Mobile today:

"Public Mobile here. As of March 16, 2021, our Prepaid network in Manitoba will be changing and select areas of Winnipeg and Brandon may experience reduced voice coverage. Data speeds will remain unaffected. In order to maintain the best voice coverage after March 16, 2021, changes will need to be made to your account. For more information, please call us at 1-866-975-3058. Free Public Mobile Msg"

My understanding is that they are turning off some 3g towers in Winnipeg and Brandon and volte is the only option. Does lucky mobile allow volte calls? Or are my only options to switch to Telus, Bell, Rogers, Zoomer, or Fido?
Dec 6, 2020
289 posts
263 upvotes
teefer22 wrote: My understanding is that they are turning off some 3g towers in Winnipeg and Brandon and volte is the only option. Does lucky mobile allow volte calls? Or are my only options to switch to Telus, Bell, Rogers, Zoomer, or Fido?
The three carriers only allow VoLTE access to postpaid customers, and then only with a very narrow selection of pre-approved phones. It looks like the carriers are using the 3G shutdown to further increase profits by ending prepaid plans, wiping out the (3g-only) MVNOs, and to do an end-run around the CRTC's anti-locking rules by restricting VoLTE access to phones that that have directly sold.

Unless their is fairly rapid government intervention, there is a very good chance the more fairly priced cell phone options are going to disappear very soon.
Feb 6, 2021
1 posts
Double check this with Public Mobile - but it may be that all of Winnipeg and Brandon will no longer have voice service after March 16. That is the answer I got from a Public M moderator when I asked which areas of Winnipeg would be affected.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19911 posts
8017 upvotes
Toronto
Telus will be using their own towers in Winnipeg and Brandon. These towers will only run 1900 Mhz frequency on 3G. When Telus is doing tower sharing with Bell, both 850 Mhz and 1900 Mhz are available on 3G. The loss of 850 Mhz could affect 3G performance. Judging by the tower density, it should not be a big problem.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii