• Aug 14th, 2020 6:43 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 5, 2017
39 posts
13 upvotes

Prepaid plan seldomly usage~!!

Hey,
Need the cheapest plan too keep a cell phone number.. $100 for a whole year expiry. Used to be on the Rogers $85 prepaid plan with 100 mins for the whole year and evenings and weekends after 6pm(weeknights) are free/unlimited. Im guessing only Speakout Wireless would be the cheapest with $35 prepay card that lasts 365 days upon activation? Any other plans that you might have..Thanks in advance.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21226 posts
2517 upvotes
Toronto
do you need any talk, text or data or just to park and keep the number? (i.e. no usage)?

A few options - depending on what you need:

1. Port to a VOIP service - some services you have to pay to port but you wouldn't have any monthly fees unless you use (which are pennies). A popular choice is voip.ms. Though, if you want the # after (say port back out to cell carrier) to use for 2FA as a regular cell#, there may be complications with the # recognized as VOIP.

2. Public Mobile - $15/month = 100mins\unlimited txt\unlimited incoming & bonus 250MB with autopay
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans ... MB-3Gspeed

3. Freedom Unlimited talk & text for $99\yr
freedom-mobile-nationwide-unlimited-tal ... d-2362648/

4. Lucky Mobile (same as PM) = $15/month = 100mins\unlimited txt\unlimited incoming & bonus 250MB with autopay
https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/p ... lsrc=aw.ds

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1807 posts
521 upvotes
RichieRich08 wrote: Hey,
Need the cheapest plan too keep a cell phone number.. $100 for a whole year expiry. Used to be on the Rogers $85 prepaid plan with 100 mins for the whole year and evenings and weekends after 6pm(weeknights) are free/unlimited. Im guessing only Speakout Wireless would be the cheapest with $35 prepay card that lasts 365 days upon activation? Any other plans that you might have..Thanks in advance.
Just to clarify, with Speakout you can keep a line active for $25/year (+ taxes). When you start, you will have $10 for the SIM card but that's only once.
[OP]
Feb 5, 2017
39 posts
13 upvotes
notfromqc wrote: Just to clarify, with Speakout you can keep a line active for $25/year (+ taxes). When you start, you will have $10 for the SIM card but that's only once.
Thanks but buying a $35 prepaid will get you a free Sim Card, no?

ji2o0k: Would like a emergency talk and VOIP would be a no no. Might want too activate the number again to post paid later on. Cheers..
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3600 posts
922 upvotes
+1 on Speakout for just keeping a number alive. My parents have been using prepaid speakout for the past few years and it's been pretty reliable for the occasional phone calls they get. Not a good option if you want data though obviously.

But looks like the free sim on $35 top up voucher has expired, ended in March 3 according to old RFD thread speakout-canada-7eleven-free-speakout-s ... 0-2346541/
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1807 posts
521 upvotes
RichieRich08 wrote: Thanks but buying a $35 prepaid will get you a free Sim Card, no?

ji2o0k: Would like a emergency talk and VOIP would be a no no. Might want too activate the number again to post paid later on. Cheers..
Hmm I guess the "free sim" part was some sort of promotion. This might reoccur from time to time.
Jun 15, 2012
145 posts
63 upvotes
ji2o0k wrote: do you need any talk, text or data or just to park and keep the number? (i.e. no usage)?

A few options - depending on what you need:

1. Port to a VOIP service - some services you have to pay to port but you wouldn't have any monthly fees unless you use (which are pennies). A popular choice is voip.ms. Though, if you want the # after (say port back out to cell carrier) to use for 2FA as a regular cell#, there may be complications with the # recognized as VOIP.

2. Public Mobile - $15/month = 100mins\unlimited txt\unlimited incoming & bonus 250MB with autopay
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans ... MB-3Gspeed

3. Freedom Unlimited talk & text for $99\yr
freedom-mobile-nationwide-unlimited-tal ... d-2362648/

4. Lucky Mobile (same as PM) = $15/month = 100mins\unlimited txt\unlimited incoming & bonus 250MB with autopay
https://www.luckymobile.ca/shop/plans/p ... lsrc=aw.ds
Lucky Mobile offers 500MB + bonus 250MB data if put on automatic charge (After 750MB, it's slower speed but unlimited data). Does anybody have experience using voip.ms + Lucky Mobile data? This seems to be the cheapest but best value but I am just curious how reliable this would be. I want to be able to receive calls anywhere without having to worry about WiFi connection.
Nov 14, 2012
333 posts
160 upvotes
coilz wrote: +1 on Speakout for just keeping a number alive. My parents have been using prepaid speakout for the past few years and it's been pretty reliable for the occasional phone calls they get. Not a good option if you want data though obviously.

But looks like the free sim on $35 top up voucher has expired, ended in March 3 according to old RFD thread speakout-canada-7eleven-free-speakout-s ... 0-2346541/
Careful with Speakout for seldom usage. I lost 2 phone numbers because they give absolutely no warnings. One phone number was my 2nd phone, very seldom used and my 14yr old son number, he did not use phone since school ended due to Covid and now told me he cannot connect to phone network anymore, I checked the online account and numbers are lost. Could not believe Speakout has no pre-expiry notifications and when I asked about it, they replied "It is not our policy to notify customers about their account status by email or text message. We rely on customers to manage their accounts. Beginning 15 days before expiration if a call or text or data session is completed we do attempt you once per day about your account balance. You can also check your account balance at any time by logging onto your online account; by dialling *777# and press TALK on your cell phone or by calling Customer Service by dialling 611."

So I need to get him another phone number and setup automatic topup if they have that. Really wish they had notifications.
Aug 5, 2012
259 posts
64 upvotes
RichieRich08 wrote: Hey,
You can't go wrong with Speakout at $25/year. That might be the most cost effective plan to keep a phone number active.
Aug 5, 2012
259 posts
64 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: Careful with Speakout for seldom usage. I lost 2 phone numbers because they give absolutely no warnings. One phone number was my 2nd phone, very seldom used and my 14yr old son number, he did not use phone since school ended due to Covid and now told me he cannot connect to phone network anymore, I checked the online account and numbers are lost. Could not believe Speakout has no pre-expiry notifications and when I asked about it, they replied "It is not our policy to notify customers about their account status by email or text message. We rely on customers to manage their accounts. Beginning 15 days before expiration if a call or text or data session is completed we do attempt you once per day about your account balance. You can also check your account balance at any time by logging onto your online account; by dialling *777# and press TALK on your cell phone or by calling Customer Service by dialling 611."

So I need to get him another phone number and setup automatic topup if they have that. Really wish they had notifications.
This can be easily resolved by adding a reminder to your calendar, for example Google Calendar, and you will get a reminder the day before or one week before, depending on how you setup the reminder, of the expiry of the account.

You have 7 days to top up after the account balance has expired to be eligible to retrieve the account and any remaining balance and 45 days to top up before you lose that phone number.
A top up must be made to the account within 7 days after the account balance was expired to be eligible to retrieve the account and any remaining balance.

If you do not add a top up within 45 days of the account becoming expired, your account will be closed and the SpeakOut Wireless phone number will be reassigned.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3300 posts
1825 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: Careful with Speakout for seldom usage. I lost 2 phone numbers because they give absolutely no warnings. One phone number was my 2nd phone, very seldom used and my 14yr old son number, he did not use phone since school ended due to Covid and now told me he cannot connect to phone network anymore, I checked the online account and numbers are lost. Could not believe Speakout has no pre-expiry notifications and when I asked about it, they replied "It is not our policy to notify customers about their account status by email or text message. We rely on customers to manage their accounts. Beginning 15 days before expiration if a call or text or data session is completed we do attempt you once per day about your account balance. You can also check your account balance at any time by logging onto your online account; by dialling *777# and press TALK on your cell phone or by calling Customer Service by dialling 611."

My balance expires today and I top it up for $25. I didn't set up any automatic notification myself. But I have been getting notification every day for the past 7 days on my cell. maybe your son didn't turn on the phone to see the notification.
Nov 14, 2012
333 posts
160 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: My balance expires today and I top it up for $25. I didn't set up any automatic notification myself. But I have been getting notification every day for the past 7 days on my cell. maybe your son didn't turn on the phone to see the notification.
My son is on the phone all the time, but he uses Whatsapp and similar apps, so he does not quite need the phone number.

Seems to me they only notify clients they want to keep. People like me who are just hogging phone number for $1.25/m are quietly let go.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2017
3300 posts
1825 upvotes
ramon2 wrote: My son is on the phone all the time, but he uses Whatsapp and similar apps, so he does not quite need the phone number.

Seems to me they only notify clients they want to keep. People like me who are just hogging phone number for $1.25/m are quietly let go.
That is the same for me(i.e. just hogging phone number for $1.25/m & use WIFI and apps only). As long as the phone is on, I got the pop up notification from Speakout that my fund will expire soon.