Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
5585 posts
896 upvotes

Prepaid or regular cellphone options for a weekend in the US

So in about a month, I'm going with some friends for a weekend road trip to the US (leave Friday, back Sunday). I'm looking for an option for call, text, and data when I'm in the US for those 3 days. I'm a Koodo customer, and from a quick search, it seems they offer $30 for 150mb, unlimited talk and text for 3 days, $40 if I wanna bump that to 10 days and 250mb. Are there any other options available for me or is it just better to just use Koodo's add-ons?
7 replies
Apr 2, 2009
907 posts
193 upvotes
Markham
Roam Mobility is probably the best option for you.
Aug 20, 2014
54 posts
24 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I use Roam mobility, but remember you need an unlocked phone. Also, coverage can be a bit "spotty" outside of the large metropolitan areas (may not be great for a "road trip"). Think it's $3.95 per day for unlimited talk and text to Canada and US and 400MB/day 4G data, unlimited 2G data after.
Sim cards are often on sale for about $7-10.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2067 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
OP is your phone unlocked?

Only unlocked phones can use ROAM mobility. If the phone is locked to Koodo, and you don't want to invest in another phone, then you have no choice but to go with Koodo add-ons.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Canada_7 wrote: So in about a month, I'm going with some friends for a weekend road trip to the US (leave Friday, back Sunday). I'm looking for an option for call, text, and data when I'm in the US for those 3 days. I'm a Koodo customer, and from a quick search, it seems they offer $30 for 150mb, unlimited talk and text for 3 days, $40 if I wanna bump that to 10 days and 250mb. Are there any other options available for me or is it just better to just use Koodo's add-ons?
$30 for 150mb, unlimited talk and text for 3 days sounds good deal if they are for calling/texting back Canada as well.
Also I assume you have an unlocked phone. And given the little data available, turn off roaming data in your phone except when needed. That will save a lot of aggravation in the event of overage.
Also Roam Mob is great for flying in and out of cities only . You will find that T Mobile signal won't show up while you are on the road between cities.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
5585 posts
896 upvotes
Thanks, I'll take a look into ROAM Mobility. I'll be either using my own phone or borrowing a friend's extra one (both of which are Nexus phones) so being locked to a carrier will not be an issue. libballeng and danieltoronto, do you guys have any other suggestions? If it affects things at all, the place we're headed to is Rhode Island.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Canada_7 wrote: Thanks, I'll take a look into ROAM Mobility. I'll be either using my own phone or borrowing a friend's extra one (both of which are Nexus phones) so being locked to a carrier will not be an issue. libballeng and danieltoronto, do you guys have any other suggestions? If it affects things at all, the place we're headed to is Rhode Island.
wow you have 2 days on the road out of a 3 days' trip. RM use T Mobile networks which is almost not there on the road as I have said.But if you fly in, that would have been fine.
Koodo, if I am correct, uses the established AT&T networks which is particularly suitable for road trips.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2067 posts
442 upvotes
Vancouver
Yup I agree with daniel, ROAM/T-mobile does not work well on highways/rural roads between cities, I typically get edge speeds most of the time, occasionally 3g speed if there are major shopping centres. And of course 4g speeds within city centre limits.

Not sure if you have time, check the local stores just south of the border for AT&T prepaid sims, however, I believe that AT&T does not have daily packages like ROAM, only 30 day packages (not entirely certain, so don't hold me to it :lol :)