Mar 7, 2005
18360 posts
1315 upvotes
Elmira

President's Choice Donut Peaches

Wife found these at Zehr's today

https://imgur.com/a/Yu96hex

https://i1.wp.com/notnotnutritious.com/ ... ches-1.png

I'm guessing they must be quite new since Google Images only has two blurry photos available

They seem to be "flattened" peaches with tiny pits inside.. Very convenient and easy to eat

Anyone else tried these?
a closed mind is already defeated
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1558 posts
949 upvotes
Toronto
They've been around for decades, mostly used for commercial purposes. However the populace is getting more used to buying produce that doesn't look like their preconceptions so they're becoming a bit more popular on the shelf.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
2318 posts
1860 upvotes
Etobicoke
duckdown wrote: Wife found these at Zehr's today

https://imgur.com/a/Yu96hex

https://i1.wp.com/notnotnutritious.com/ ... ches-1.png

I'm guessing they must be quite new since Google Images only has two blurry photos available

They seem to be "flattened" peaches with tiny pits inside.. Very convenient and easy to eat

Anyone else tried these?
I tried them back in the spring. Bought them from Costco. They were alright but I prefer the regular peaches. Costco has the Ontario variety as well. $6 for 2lbs. Might try them again.

Hope to try the fabled mackinaw peaches that are only available for a short period one day.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29061 posts
14597 upvotes
I like to consider them low rent white peaches. Better than yellow peaches IMO but not as good as white peaches.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10225 posts
4659 upvotes
Toronto
When I tried them many years ago they were awesome. Among the best peaches I’ve ever had.
Most of my recent experiences have been a huge let down. I tried them again this summer for the first time after several years and they were dry and flavourless.

They used to come individually wrapped in a projective covering, likely because they are very delicate when picked at the right time for maximum flavour.
I no longer see them wrapped these days. Either they’re picked at a much earlier stage preventing them from developing the right flavour or they’re selling a different variety that is heartier but substandard in flavour.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18360 posts
1315 upvotes
Elmira
NoFrillBill wrote: Hope to try the fabled mackinaw peaches that are only available for a short period one day.
Lol! Is this actually a real thing or just a Seinfeld meme
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18360 posts
1315 upvotes
Elmira
ShoNuff2 wrote: When I tried them many years ago they were awesome. Among the best peaches I’ve ever had.
Most of my recent experiences have been a huge let down. I tried them again this summer for the first time after several years and they were dry and flavourless.

They used to come individually wrapped in a projective covering, likely because they are very delicate when picked at the right time for maximum flavour.
I no longer see them wrapped these days. Either they’re picked at a much earlier stage preventing them from developing the right flavour or they’re selling a different variety that is heartier but substandard in flavour.
I could see this, the bag has been a bit inconsistent actually now that I've had like 5+ of them. Some of them are too tough and hard to bite into, like they were picked underripe
Deal Addict
May 10, 2007
2318 posts
1860 upvotes
Etobicoke
duckdown wrote: Lol! Is this actually a real thing or just a Seinfeld meme
Not a real thing. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on it. Like Kramer, I am a fruit aficionado.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18360 posts
1315 upvotes
Elmira
NoFrillBill wrote: Not a real thing. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on it. Like Kramer, I am a fruit aficionado.
I knew it right away hahah! If those were real I'd be likely to seek them out
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13040 posts
7150 upvotes
I remember these when I worked in produce at metro/A&P/Sav a centre in the 90s.

Ate so many of them when they were too ripe for the shelf or had a soft spot. Very good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29061 posts
14597 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote:
Ate so many of them when they were too ripe for the shelf or had a soft spot. Very good.
Whites are like this too. The absolute peak of perfection is if they're gonna grow fuzz in 15 minutes.

I've tossed so many peaches because I let them go just a bit too long and actually became moldy. It's really hard hitting that perfect balance.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2639 posts
2193 upvotes
GTA West
Hmm. I have some now and the taste is insipid. I also tried the ones my neighbour at our community garden grows on his tree - same thing.

So for me they are a novelty, pleasant but nothing like a Red Haven for flavour. But it is a way for growers to package a lot of items into a small container and charge a premium price. Maybe they are good for kids' lunch boxes. And I get it that many people don't like to tackle a big juicy and messy peach.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10225 posts
4659 upvotes
Toronto
Ciel wrote: Isn't this just a new name for what was called Saturn peaches a few years ago? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_peach
When I first encountered them decades ago I only saw them labeled as donut peaches. Later on I started seeing alternate names such as Saturn, saucer, flat, and even “flatted” at some Asian stores lol.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10225 posts
4659 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting
WHEN ARE DONUT (FLAT) PEACHES IN SEASON?

Would like to try peach pie donut peaches and donut nectarines. Probably only available in the States unfortunately
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
223 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
NoFrillBill wrote: Not a real thing. I was wondering if anyone would pick up on it. Like Kramer, I am a fruit aficionado.
Lol, to this day everyone I know has a Seinfeld quote which comes out every now and then. What an impact that show had.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7624 posts
2817 upvotes
jemjem9 wrote: Lol, to this day everyone I know has a Seinfeld quote which comes out every now and then. What an impact that show had.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Lol!! Sometimes I just get the urge to yell "Stella!!!" for no apparent reason.

They had donut peaches at Costco yesterday.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
bonterra wrote: Lol!! Sometimes I just get the urge to yell "Stella!!!" for no apparent reason.

They had donut peaches at Costco yesterday.