None
[OP]
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

Pressure Treated vs Composite Deck

Hello All,

We are planning on building a new deck and we are struggling to pick a decking material.

Pressure Treated vs Composite

Cost aside what would be the better choice.

Here are the pros and cons so far.

Pressure Treated

Cons
- More maintenance
- does not look as nice as composite over time

Composite
- Gets too hot in the summer

Thanks
8 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
The cost is the biggest factor and I think you will be surprised how much higher it will be with composite. In my case, the decking would have cost more than the entire rest of the deck, by twice. At $31 to $39 per 10 ft board, it gets up there.
Yes, there is maintenance with pressure but you also have the opportunity to change the colour when you want.
As for getting too hot, that is why there is such a resurgence in outdoor carpet sales, to keep it reasonable for your feet :)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
7264 posts
2848 upvotes
GTA
My son scrubbed down a few composite decks last summer-pressure washer would have required a damaging amount of pressure to clean the composite decking. I know this is "against the grain"....I feel the maintenance free claim of composite decking is not true. Sure it doesn't rot (Hopefully)....but it requires cleaning every second year....and that cleaning is not easy. Deck wash, power washer don't cut it....a deck scrub brush and about 5 minutes work per 8' board is needed.
We'll see if the latest versions truly don't fade in the sun.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8618 posts
5544 upvotes
Mississauga
How much is it compared to cedar?
[OP]
Nov 25, 2007
96 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Cedar falls in between pressure treated and composite in terms of price.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8622 posts
1447 upvotes
Highly recommend composite if you can afford it.

We neglected our composite deck for 3 years. Finally got around to pressure washing it last weekend. What a difference. It looks brand new now. Took a while to pressure wash (3 hrs maybe) as we had to do it panel by panel but it was worth it. We could not have refreshed a cedar or PT deck the same way.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6837 posts
3055 upvotes
Caledon
I would go for Cedar .. if you maintain it, it looks good and wont hurt your wallet as well
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36455 posts
10770 upvotes
Ottawa
Mayoo wrote: I would go for Cedar .. if you maintain it, it looks good and wont hurt your wallet as well
as much as composite but still more than triple of pressure treated.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
741 upvotes
We have an Azek deck...had it for now 3 years.

No issue what so ever with washing with a pressure washer. None. Zip. Do it a few times a year.

The deck looks incredible. Better than our last deck which was cedar.
No staining/sealing.

Cost was more but worth it in our opinion.

As for temperature:
We don't have an issue as we are essentially under complete tree canopy. So no issue. In winter, spring or fall it did heat up more that our other decks, which was great for melting snow or keeping our feet wet when going into the swimspa.
All that being said, the deck at our last house was cedar and in the full sun, you could not step on in in bare feet...composite couldnt' be any worse....