• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 12:54 am
[OP]
Apr 8, 2010
802 posts
453 upvotes
toronto

Pressure treated vs copper paint

Besides the process, is there much difference?

I know long time ago, my dad and I used the green paint but I would suspect the pressure treated is a lot better?

Came home and saw contractor used the green copper paint instead of pressure treated. I suspect he's having a hard problem sourcing pressure treated.

Not sure if I sure put the screws to him and ask for pressure treated per contract or let it slide.

It's for some 4x4 posts for a deck

Thoughts?
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19157 posts
22040 upvotes
GTA
That's probably against code not too use pressure treated for a deck.
The green paint isn't the same. It's only meant for sealing end cuts.
You're getting ripped off of you paid for PT wood.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4735 posts
1995 upvotes
WFH
Pressure treating drives the preservative below the surface of the wood. Brush on preservative will sit on the surface and won't last 5 minutes. The only place it will be effective is endgrain, which is its intended application, because it can easily soak in.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2854 posts
987 upvotes
What kind of wood is it? Aside from pt 4x4 come in cedar or hemlock, both are very resistant to rotting, cedar being better. Cedar 4x4 is more expensive than pt, hemlock is pretty cheap, but I haven't seen anything but pt or cedar in 4x4 at the stores. As a matter of fact I've wanted to get 4x4 wood non treated before and all that's available at the HD stores is cedar...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5518 posts
1735 upvotes
Toronto
If indeed OP has PT "per contract", doubt contractor would give him cedar (upgrade) for free I'd guess...
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2854 posts
987 upvotes
I agree, and you wouldn't need to paint it. my guess it's hemlock