Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

[Presto] Spend at least $25 and Earn a $5 Credit

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2023 5:00 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4732 posts
2155 upvotes
Durham Region
Stagaz630 wrote: Thanks, didn't realize the discount still applies. Might just use CC going forward then lol
Yes, the catch is to pick one form of payment and stick to it for the whole month to maximize loyalty. But what form of payment doesn't matter anymore.

Can't even switch between mobile wallet and the physical card, as Presto sees them as different card numbers and they'll accumulate loyalty steps separately.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2007
3973 posts
1268 upvotes
well damn...
not valid on purchase made at PRESTO vending machines
RFD is bad for your wallet's health 😂
Rogers EPP - $40/6gb, unlimited NA plan (roaming included)
Dec 15, 2015
222 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CorSter wrote: This is wrong. Contactless payment on GO is at Presto rates, not cash rates.

Where it makes a difference is if you've gone past the initial loyalty step, or if it's going to prevent you from hitting that 85% discount.
Thank you. I didn't realize this either.

I got this on my Cobalt, so I'll likely get 2x MR points as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6422 posts
4630 upvotes
CorSter wrote: Yes, the catch is to pick one form of payment and stick to it for the whole month to maximize loyalty. But what form of payment doesn't matter anymore.

Can't even switch between mobile wallet and the physical card, as Presto sees them as different card numbers and they'll accumulate loyalty steps separately.
does the discount still work when tapping a credit card switching from GO to Miway or Brampton Transit?
Currently going from Miway onto Go and vice versa makes Miway free.
May 23, 2009
197 posts
does anyone know if you only have say $5 left on your presto card if you can use that up and pay balance with another credit card? or do you need to top it up to $9.25 for example in order to use it to clear off the remaining balance on presto card?
seems to make sense to just go contactless going forward if it is same discounted rate?
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4732 posts
2155 upvotes
Durham Region
mech9t5 wrote: does the discount still work when tapping a credit card switching from GO to Miway or Brampton Transit?
Currently going from Miway onto Go and vice versa makes Miway free.
The GO co-fare (free ride) still works if the other transit agency also accepts contactless, which Miway, Brampton, and Oakville currently do. Should cost you exactly the same as it does on Presto.

However, if your trip doesn't involve GO, important to keep in mind though that MiWay, Brampton, and Oakville transit charge Adult Cash Fare for contactless, on those systems it is still cheaper to pay with Presto for trips not connecting to GO.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4732 posts
2155 upvotes
Durham Region
the_answer wrote: does anyone know if you only have say $5 left on your presto card if you can use that up and pay balance with another credit card? or do you need to top it up to $9.25 for example in order to use it to clear off the remaining balance on presto card?
seems to make sense to just go contactless going forward if it is same discounted rate?
Can't make partial payments with Presto, would need to top up to your desired balance and use it all up.

Keep in mind right now even though fares are the same, there are still some differences to using Presto vs contactless, eg you can't set a default trip on your contactless credit card so you need to remember to tap off, and if you connect to local transit many of those agencies haven't started accepting contactless yet, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2005
6422 posts
4630 upvotes
CorSter wrote: The GO co-fare (free ride) still works if the other transit agency also accepts contactless, which Miway, Brampton, and Oakville currently do. Should cost you exactly the same as it does on Presto.

However, if your trip doesn't involve GO, important to keep in mind though that MiWay, Brampton, and Oakville transit charge Adult Cash Fare for contactless, on those systems it is still cheaper to pay with Presto for trips not connecting to GO.
thanks for the info. I think I will keep using presto card for now. Too much hassle to try to get a refund anyway.
I just don't like how presto requires a minimum load of $20. I hate having money sitting on the card. With credit, they would only take what they need.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1433 posts
1259 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing on the platinum cards or simply cash cards. Offer received on the Amex air miles gold card.
The Golden Rule: those who have the gold, make the rules
Oct 16, 2021
571 posts
1051 upvotes
YKF <-> YVR
mech9t5 wrote: thanks for the info. I think I will keep using presto card for now. Too much hassle to try to get a refund anyway.
I just don't like how presto requires a minimum load of $20. I hate having money sitting on the card. With credit, they would only take what they need.
You can load it up with exact amounts to the nearest $0.05 on the App or Fare Machine (Go Ticketing Machine, not Self Reload Machine)
I'm tired
Jul 31, 2012
639 posts
836 upvotes
Toronto
mech9t5 wrote: thanks for the info. I think I will keep using presto card for now. Too much hassle to try to get a refund anyway.
you can load as little as 5 at the machines with a credit card, may even be less with coins
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2018
1763 posts
1174 upvotes
Can't wait to see DPs if this works on regular Presto reload. WIll report back.
Jul 26, 2022
255 posts
397 upvotes
Toronto
Stagaz630 wrote: Thanks, didn't realize the discount still applies. Might just use CC going forward then lol
the_answer wrote: does anyone know if you only have say $5 left on your presto card if you can use that up and pay balance with another credit card? or do you need to top it up to $9.25 for example in order to use it to clear off the remaining balance on presto card?
If you have a default trip set on your presto card, I don’t think that would be available when paying with CC.

Adds a small inconvenience of having to tap off but no “dead balance” of money sitting in a presto card.
RFD lurker since 2017
Aug 26, 2015
277 posts
359 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dpw198 wrote: Just so people are aware, by directly tapping your Amex card as opposed to using your Presto card, you lose the loyalty discount that comes with using the Presto card on each trip.

For me it’s about 30-40c but you’ll still come out ahead by using your Amex card ubtil you hit the $25 min spend.
But is anybody reaching the required limit right now? If anything most people have reduced their travel.
Jan 1, 2016
270 posts
375 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Can I ask a silly question? So it seems that the $5 credit should be obtainable on UP if you use your AMEX card, not your presto card

However, there is a presto discount for UP.
One way it is 12.35 regular but 9.25 through presto.

If you tap an amex card (or mobile wallet) on the presto reader, do you get charged 12.35 or 9.25?

Thanks!
Dec 15, 2015
222 posts
450 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SuperOxide wrote: Can I ask a silly question? So it seems that the $5 credit should be obtainable on UP if you use your AMEX card, not your presto card

If you tap an amex card (or mobile wallet) on the presto reader, do you get charged 12.35 or 9.25?

Thanks!
Someone above mentioned that using the credit card to tap at a Presto reader charges the Presto rate and not the cash rate.

I haven't tried this myself as I don't need to go to the airport. I will be testing in a few weeks, though.

I guess I *could* tap, and then cancel immediately to see what rate is being charged on my card.
Jul 31, 2012
639 posts
836 upvotes
Toronto
Mikliloo wrote: Someone above mentioned that using the credit card to tap at a Presto reader charges the Presto rate and not the cash rate.

I haven't tried this myself as I don't need to go to the airport. I will be testing in a few weeks, though.

I guess I *could* tap, and then cancel immediately to see what rate is being charged on my card.
With PRESTO contactless payment, you can now tap to pay for an Adult PRESTO fare using your credit card, debit card, including in a mobile wallet on your phone or watch. Try it today!

you'll get the presto fare
https://www.upexpress.com/Tickets/Fares
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4732 posts
2155 upvotes
Durham Region
SuperOxide wrote: Can I ask a silly question? So it seems that the $5 credit should be obtainable on UP if you use your AMEX card, not your presto card

Thanks!
Presto fare on GO and UP
Cash fare on Miway, Brampton, Oakville