Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
American Express

[Presto] Spend at least $25 and Earn a $5 Credit

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2023 5:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2010
4538 posts
1868 upvotes
Ottawa
TripleQ wrote: Tapped on Tuesday, posted this morning. I did the same roundtrip (4 taps total) and interestingly it posted as a single contactless transaction for the combined amount. So it helped for the other promo people might have.. tap $10+ 10x for $20 credit.

I don't know if I'd use this outside of the promo though. I managed to forget to tap off most times and had to go back to find a machine.
how did you even get yours to work? I tried tapping on the gates and it doesn't read my card at all...
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2276 posts
1070 upvotes
Airport Rd & Que…
john.canad wrote: how did you even get yours to work? I tried tapping on the gates and it doesn't read my card at all...
I used mine for GO Trains at the Presto readers. I'm guessing since you said "gates" you're tapping for TTC, which doesn't support credit card tapping yet. And in any case, this promo is for GO and UP only, not other transit systems.
Jul 25, 2013
301 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
I don’t think ttc presto accepts credit card does it?
Feb 21, 2019
201 posts
1022 upvotes
I tried tapping with my physical card on the presto machine for GO Transit but it didn’t beep so I gave up and used Presto. Is Apple Pay easier to read?
Aug 12, 2014
306 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have tapped with my amex physical card on the presto machine at GO Transit Yorkdale to add $25 to my Presto card.

wait to see $5 bonus coming...
Jul 8, 2010
227 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
TripleQ wrote: I used mine for GO Trains at the Presto readers. I'm guessing since you said "gates" you're tapping for TTC, which doesn't support credit card tapping yet. And in any case, this promo is for GO and UP only, not other transit systems.
call amex and ask for it.
Nov 29, 2008
183 posts
74 upvotes
GTA
letterschen wrote: I have tapped with my amex physical card on the presto machine at GO Transit Yorkdale to add $25 to my Presto card.

wait to see $5 bonus coming...
i thought loading money onto the presto card wasn't eligible for the offer.
Aug 12, 2014
306 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
finalfantasy wrote: i thought loading money onto the presto card wasn't eligible for the offer.
Oh,
where does it state in T&C?
Nov 29, 2008
183 posts
74 upvotes
GTA
does anyone know if this offer also work for tapping on GO Bus or is it only presto terminal at go train stations?
Nov 29, 2008
183 posts
74 upvotes
GTA
letterschen wrote: Oh,
where does it state in T&C?
*Offer valid only at eligible and tap enabled PRESTO devices at GO stations and UP Express locations. When you use your registered Card to tap to pay at eligible PRESTO devices at GO Transit and UP Express you will be charged the Adult fare. Special rates including senior citizen and youth rates will not apply when using eligible PRESTO devices. Tap off at the end of each trip for GO Transit and UP Express to avoid additional charges. See Amex.ca/onthego for more information. This offer is not valid on purchases made at PRESTO vending machines. Excludes purchases of PRESTO cards, PRESTO E-Tickets or physical tickets, and purchases made online, by phone, or through third party vendors.
Aug 12, 2014
306 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
WOW, you are right.
I did not read it carefully.
thanks anyway.

HOW to get around it when I call AMEX?

WHAT kind of reason/excuses could I give to AMEX in order to get $5 bonus ANYWAY
Aug 18, 2019
9 posts
1 upvote
Can anyone confirm that adding 25$ on presto at Union station trigger the offer?
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
4524 posts
4857 upvotes
Toronto
spent $30 tapping my amex via google wallet on those terminals, didnt get y credit yet

edit: got it acknowledged today.
Last edited by dracolnyte on Nov 3rd, 2022 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5524 posts
6002 upvotes
GTA
Spend at least $25 in qualifying adult fare purchases with your registered Card by tapping your Card or using your mobile wallet linked to your registered Card at eligible PRESTO devices at GO Transit and UP Express from 06/10/2022 to 31/12/2022 and earn a one-time $5 statement credit.

Offer valid only at eligible and tap enabled PRESTO devices at GO stations and UP Express locations. When you use your registered Card to tap to pay at eligible PRESTO devices at GO Transit and UP Express you will be charged the Adult fare. Special rates including senior citizen and youth rates will not apply when using eligible PRESTO devices. Tap off at the end of each trip for GO Transit and UP Express to avoid additional charges. See Amex.ca/onthego for more information. This offer is not valid on purchases made at PRESTO vending machines. Excludes purchases of PRESTO cards, PRESTO E-Tickets or physical tickets, and purchases made online, by phone, or through third party vendors.

I know that each person normally needs their own Presto card, so am guessing one needs to use separate Amex for each adult fare with this tap offer.

ie. I can't tap/use my mobile wallet with the same Amex card for a one-way trip x2 Adult Fares?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2276 posts
1070 upvotes
Airport Rd & Que…
I'm guessing you can't, because if you tried to tap on again with the same card (i.e. at the same station before tapping off somewhere else), you'll get a "already tapped" error.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1711 posts
1032 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Arbiterandrea wrote: Can anyone confirm that adding 25$ on presto at Union station trigger the offer?
Literally 2 posts above yours tells you it will not work. Lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 3, 2018
5524 posts
6002 upvotes
GTA
TripleQ wrote: I'm guessing you can't, because if you tried to tap on again with the same card (i.e. at the same station before tapping off somewhere else), you'll get a "already tapped" error.
Thanks! And, for GTA pilot program, Presto Rep said that Tap to Pay prices are not currently discounted to Presto rates.

So, one has to remember to tap off, savings are minimal ($5 off $25 Amex) and if you plan to use your Presto card on same trip from Go Transit to public transit, you won't receive the additional Presto discount.

Edit on Dec 17/22: @MsExcalibur and @pkeep22 confirmed Amex Tap is giving discounted Presto rate (vs regular rate) for Go Transit and UP Express, so Presto Rep gave me incorrect information!
Last edited by mzmoney on Dec 17th, 2022 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.