Automotive

Price of BMW brake fluid flush?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2018 4:31 pm
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
7 upvotes

Price of BMW brake fluid flush?

Since I seem to have a lot of luck here with anything pertaining to my car, I'll post another question here today again. I have a 2013 BMW F30 xDrive and it's due to have a brake fluid flush on 01/2019. I've had a really bad experience with BMW Canbec here in Montreal, so I'm planning on either going to TC Automotive (was recommended to me on another forum) or to BMW Brossard (good reviews, plus I live on the south shore). So I was just wondering if anyone knew how much BMW charges for a brake fluid change. Probably gonna end up going to the indie garage instead, but I just wanna know for comparison purposes.
43 replies
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2015
872 posts
714 upvotes
Just call their service dept and find out.

I do my own flushes. It is very easy to do.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Dec 2, 2008
12347 posts
2046 upvotes
GTA
id recommend my cumpare packardbell on rfd. he is from your area. give him a PM
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
7 upvotes
Another question: my car's almost 5 years old, am I better off just topping up the brake fluid or flushing the entire thing?
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
7 upvotes
They're closed till Wednesday. I'm definitely gonna call, but I just wanted to know if someone here knew something so I could mentally prepare myself for whatever ridiculous price they came up with lol

I'd do it myself too, but over here it's VERY cold outside right now, and I don't have an indoor garage. The other day, my fingers were frozen just by being outside for 10 minutes. Had to run my hand in warm/hot water for a few minutes...
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17490 posts
10267 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
PrimoX wrote: Another question: my car's almost 5 years old, am I better off just topping up the brake fluid or flushing the entire thing?
The only thing topping up brake fluid does (as long as the fluid isn't actually low) is waste your time. It's like saying can I top off my oil instead of changing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17490 posts
10267 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
PrimoX wrote: They're closed till Wednesday. I'm definitely gonna call, but I just wanted to know if someone here knew something so I could mentally prepare myself for whatever ridiculous price they came up with lol

I'd do it myself too, but over here it's VERY cold outside right now, and I don't have an indoor garage. The other day, my fingers were frozen just by being outside for 10 minutes. Had to run my hand in warm/hot water for a few minutes...
You don't need to flush the brake fluid exactly on a set schedule. You can put it off for a few months as long as the brakes still feel firm when you apply them now.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2488 posts
483 upvotes
Brake fluid are not supposed to be top off . Brake fluid goes down as brakes wear so its normal .there's lots of oil.in the system. Unless there is a leak but then oil level will go.way down, normal level down due to brake wear don't need topping off. In any case topping is not substitute of flushing. Brake oil goes bad near the wheels.you need to bleed. I do every 3 years

Regarding price everything for bmw will be expensive because ultimate driving machine.....
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
10014 posts
4981 upvotes
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ask Paradigm Performance Auto
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6417 posts
2084 upvotes
BC
It was $149 the last time I had a brake fluid flush at a dealer. But you could easily be quoted over $200. Dealer prices can be negotiated though in some cases.

Call and ask if they offer Value Service Pricing. More likely in the 'burbs. A downtown location is unlikely to.

Can't find a Canadian one off the bat, but use this Maryland one to see if a dealer can come close to it:

https://www.passportbmw.com/valueservice.html. (Only shows oil change price for F30 under the 3 series tab but earlier years have full pricing )

If you go to an indie, make sure they use the same LV (low viscosity) DOT 4 factory fill fluid.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
7 upvotes
I know it's gonna be expensive wherever I go lol but dealerships are usually way more expensive than an indie shop
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
7 upvotes
McLaren__F1 wrote: Ask Paradigm Performance Auto
I'm in Montreal, don't feel like driving till Ontario for servicing ahahaha but thanks anyways
Deal Expert
User avatar
Apr 21, 2004
54677 posts
19491 upvotes
qaz393 wrote: id recommend my cumpare packardbell on rfd. he is from your area. give him a PM
Does he have a new username here on rfd, miss that fellow.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6417 posts
2084 upvotes
BC
PrimoX wrote: I know it's gonna be expensive wherever I go lol but dealerships are usually way more expensive than an indie shop
Which is exactly why BMW Corporate try and help their dealerships hold onto service customers with pricing that is more competitive with independent shops.

Mutually beneficial to BMW Canada and the dealer.

In some cases independents are not significantly cheaper and they don't offer the same ambience with coffee and pastries.
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
7 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Does he have a new username here on rfd, miss that fellow.
I just checked, idk if its the same guy, but the user with the username "packardbell" seems to have been banned...
[OP]
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
75 posts
7 upvotes
macnut wrote: Which is exactly why BMW Corporate try and help their dealerships hold onto service customers with pricing that is more competitive with independent shops.

Mutually beneficial to BMW Canada and the dealer.

In some cases independents are not significantly cheaper and they don't offer the same ambience with coffee and pastries.
Well I've only been to one BMW dealership and I've been told numerous times to avoid it... maybe I just gotta expand my horizons a bit more. I'll call next week and find out what the pricing is, to get a clear picture on all of this.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6460 posts
1109 upvotes
Asker123 wrote: Brake fluid are not supposed to be top off . Brake fluid goes down as brakes wear so its normal .there's lots of oil.in the system. Unless there is a leak but then oil level will go.way down, normal level down due to brake wear don't need topping off.
Excuse me? Brake fluid level goes down as the pads wear. When it goes down enough it trips the red warning light on the dash indicating low fluid level. Topping it up at that point is normal. Most shops will do a free top up for you - I've been in waiting rooms as people have pulled up and run in to get their brake fluid topped up. Topping it up with a small amount of fluid will turn the warning light off and it should stay off for a long time thereafter. If it doesn't then you probably have some kind of a brake leak issue. Doing nothing as you recommend means driving around with a red warning light on and not knowing if it's on because of normal pad wear or because of a serious fluid leak.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6417 posts
2084 upvotes
BC
^^^^ Maybe we are misinterpreting other's posts.

For most cars, the brake fluid level drop as pads or shoes wear down to where they need replacing BUT does not get anywhere near triggering the low fluid warning light.

Worn pads usually have their own warning signal so don't need the assistance of a low brake fluid light.

The low brake fluid warning is primarily there to alert you to a leak in the system - serious stuff.

Best practice:
Make sure fluid level is at or near the MAX line after pads have been replaced.
Don't top off fluid between pad changes. (This introduces needless risk of contaminants getting in the fluid from grungy cap or questionable bottle of previously opened fluid.)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5954 posts
1434 upvotes
???
McLaren__F1 wrote: Ask Paradigm Performance Auto
Thanks for the plug.

Unfortunately we don’t yet have a location in Montreal.

But for those curious we charge $95. We use BMW original brake fluid or ATE SL-6 for cars with a two year change interval which is all luxury German vehicles.

Top