Price gouging due to COVID-19 fears

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2020 12:38 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6264 posts
3328 upvotes
Mississauga
How much would 4.5 litres of Purell cost?
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1183 upvotes
I paid $4 for 120 ml bottle so the price does not seen out of line . I'm sure that is a bit costly . But these manufacturers have higher costs . They are not designed for hand sanitizer production .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Nov 7, 2007
744 posts
477 upvotes
I ordered this for friends and family. Note this sanitizer is liquid instead of gel (made using WHO formula). So you have to use it in spray bottles. I'm guessing that this will last a lot longer than the gel ones because you only have to use a couple of sprays to cover your hands.
RedStrikeCa wrote: I saw this in another thread. Here is link for those of you that can afford it.
https://store.dillons.ca/6-pack-sanitizer-750ml.html

Dillons Distillers is a turd for price gouging.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29160 posts
14913 upvotes
Toronto
Nations (Vaughan) has Lysol wipes, 35 count for $8 today. The staff was restocking about 15 cases of these when I was there. One guy bought 4 cases, not sure he is hoarding or to resell them. Face With Open Mouth

Btw, this normally retails for around $3.59 per (35 count), thus nations is charging 2x.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4049 posts
4241 upvotes
It's sad how ignorant some people are. The vast majority of allegations of price gouging aren't even price gouging, and the same people who do complain when it does happen complain that they can't find whatever they want to buy.

Hey kids - news flash. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Want to ensure TP isn't hoarded? Charge $9/roll and see what happens. That's true supply/demand at its finest, not this communist crap.

Remember gas shortages not too many decades ago? Same problem. Government mandated a price, people ran out of gas. Duh.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Feb 12, 2005
425 posts
133 upvotes
Toronto
You wanna see price gouging? The dental market.ca is charging $29.99 for 236ml of hand sanitizer!

Showcase is selling the same size for $9.99 or $7.99 if you say you are a senior or gov't worker. I thought that was bad, but this is 3 times the cost!
Jun 28, 2019
204 posts
57 upvotes
Vancouver
I went to the Save On Foods in Vancouver on Marine Drive today since Superstore was too busy, I was told they are no longer doing any price matching due to Covid 19 and the demand for product. This is what I was told by 2 cashiers.

Kind of ridiculous
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6264 posts
3328 upvotes
Mississauga
Why is it ridiculous? These aren’t normal times we’re living in right now. I fully expect all the regular perks of shopping - price matching, no hassle returns, etc. - to be curtailed for the foreseeable future.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
22306 posts
17084 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Bertuzzi44 wrote: Kind of ridiculous
Why?

You've noticed that "Superstore was too busy." Save On Foods was probably also busy as are all grocery stores.
1. Why should staff waste precious time to do PMs during this crisis when there may be customers queuing up outside the store?
2. Why should staff have to expose themselves to customers any more than is absolutely necessary?
3. Why do you feel entitled to price match in the first place?
4. is it really necessary to expose yourself and others to increased risk of infection just to save a few bucks during these exceptional times?

I salute Save On Foods for doing the right thing during the pandemic.

You should too.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7446 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
I think that some stores are selling essentials at an inflated price, but it's better that they do that then not sell it at all. The major chains could probably sell this stuff to, but not at the price they normally do so they don't sell it out of fear of being accused of price gouging.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1365 posts
623 upvotes
Calgary, AB
It is still against the law to sell something for more than prior to the state of emergency unless they can demonstrate that input costs are higher. Distillers will not have an issue as they aren't making much on it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7446 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
Fort McMurray wrote: It is still against the law to sell something for more than prior to the state of emergency unless they can demonstrate that input costs are higher. Distillers will not have an issue as they aren't making much on it.
If you want to refuse to buy the products out of principle, feel free to do so. I'm many cases, there are higher input costs (such as having the products flown over instead of shipping by boat+rail).

As for distilleries, they didn't use to make hand sanitizer, so they don't have the processes in place to sell it as cheap.

It will be the responsibility of the government to provide they were gouging, not that of the business to prove they weren't.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5059 posts
2244 upvotes
Not sure if good deal due to environment or price gouging?

https://ca.shopatshowcase.com/collectio ... 4671343682

$35.00 for 946mL bottle of 65% Ethyl Alcohol Hand Sanitizer to the public or $29.99 if you are a senior or health care worker.

Apparently this product is now selling at a fantastic price drop.

The website even has a section outlining how their prices aren't price gouging and basically we should be happy that they remain open.

They even say that they lose money everyday they are open! Legit?

Edit: Wal-Mart used to sell this product for $9.97
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2012
7446 posts
989 upvotes
Ottawa
renoldman wrote: Not sure if good deal due to environment or price gouging?

https://ca.shopatshowcase.com/collectio ... 4671343682

$35.00 for 946mL bottle of 65% Ethyl Alcohol Hand Sanitizer to the public or $29.99 if you are a senior or health care worker.

Apparently this product is now selling at a fantastic price drop.

The website even has a section outlining how their prices aren't price gouging and basically we should be happy that they remain open.

They even say that they lose money everyday they are open! Legit?
$30 seems reasonable for a store in a high-rent mall. They can't possibly sell it for the same price that Walmart does.

It's where I bought mine. Would I rather have paid $10 at Walmart? Yes, I would. But I'd rather pay $30 than not have any.

That being said, the people trying to sell the bottles online for $100 that they bought at Walmart for $10 can rot in hell.