Shopping Discussion

Price Hike coming for Red Meat and Chicken?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2020 10:04 am
[OP]
Mar 21, 2020
39 posts
41 upvotes

Price Hike coming for Red Meat and Chicken?

Heard today from a restaurant and a local butcher that they were given notice that Chicken will be going up 20% and Red Meat 30%. This is due to the plant closures in Canada from COVID-19. Anyone else hearing something similar? If true, I'm just hoping it's short term... like a month.
23 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15980 posts
13229 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
SocialAvoid wrote: Heard today from a restaurant and a local butcher that they were given notice that Chicken will be going up 20% and Red Meat 30%. This is due to the plant closures in Canada from COVID-19. Anyone else hearing something similar? If true, I'm just hoping it's short term... like a month.
Things may not be as they were PRE COVID

But it’s a FACT that Maple Leaf Foods ... Canada’s Largest Purveyor of Meat Products
Has been putting out Press Releases saying they are open
And working hard to meet Canada’s / Cdn’s need for Food

Here’s a page from their website
https://www.mapleleaffoods.com/stories/ ... on-heroes/

So to be honest ... I don’t know if the info you got has any basis or not
(MORE FAKE NEWS :rolleyes: )

What I do think is happening though is of late there’s been a run on Chicken by the HOARDERS

Fuelled by the same WRONG INFO / STUPIDITY
That saw a run on TP

Truth is with Restaurants Closed
The food industry has more food in the system right now than actual grocery store demand for
It’s glutted up in one sector ... cuz demand is low (Restaurants)
And sparse in the other sector ... cuz demand is higher than normal ... and STUPID Shoppers (Grocery Stores)

I think it will all even out eventually

In the meantime, do a GOOGLE in your area to see if any Restaurants are selling off their abundance of goods
Seems a lot of places are doing that
So as to keep financially afloat
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3041 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
I would say since the industry is already saying there will be 'immediate and drastic' effects on Canada's supply chain it is very likely to see prices rise.

Here is an article about it from CTV. There is no wrong information out there, many plants have closed permanently like the worlds largest processor of pork, to shorter closures due to ill employees at Maple Leaf Foods in Bramptin and Olymel in Quebec.
May 13, 2015
908 posts
1229 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
I don't think any of this will be short term. I would expect the problems to get worse before they get better.

Also, with the government handing out $2,000 to almost everyone, a lot of people are going to be spending that money on groceries. You would probably start to see rising prices just from the inflationary effects of this policy absent of any food supply chain issues.

For me, it's not really the price of the meat that concerns me. It's whether or not I'm able to have someone deliver the meat to my house.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7011 posts
1363 upvotes
Scarborough
Toomany if these fearmongering threads on rfd lately. All speculations
Makes me avoid rfd now
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1014 posts
811 upvotes
Ottawa
apnayloags wrote: Toomany if these fearmongering threads on rfd lately. All speculations
Makes me avoid rfd now
Cool. See ya.
Jan 6, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
apnayloags wrote: Toomany if these fearmongering threads on rfd lately. All speculations
Makes me avoid rfd now
Yes, me too! It just makes me more anxious now!
Oct 20, 2018
25 posts
22 upvotes
Everything will be going up, where do you think they are getting all this money to send people 2K a month?

They are printing money like crazy right now. Add to that the carbon tax that is also making food more expensive.

I hope you are all ready for the hyper inflation Venezuela style coming up, where people's pensions are smaller than the cost of a loaf of bread.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3041 posts
2324 upvotes
Toronto
Makes me avoid rfd now
How is this speculation when the industry itself is saying this? Not to mention it isn't speculation that the worlds largest pork processing plant is permanently closed, as well as other plant closures.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9562 posts
4760 upvotes
Markham
Time to buy loblaws stock?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4966 posts
4008 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: How is this speculation when the industry itself is saying this? Not to mention it isn't speculation that the worlds largest pork processing plant is permanently closed, as well as other plant closures.
Industry news release is last place you can get accurate information. As the "industry" is the marketing association
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4966 posts
4008 upvotes
SocialAvoid wrote: Heard today from a restaurant and a local butcher that they were given notice that Chicken will be going up 20% and Red Meat 30%. This is due to the plant closures in Canada from COVID-19. Anyone else hearing something similar? If true, I'm just hoping it's short term... like a month.
Picked up some $1.99/lb boneless skinless chicken breast today and $2.88/lb lean ground beef

Maybe in another 2 weeks?
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2798 posts
3859 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Interesting video on the food crisis.

That line up for the food bank and something like 10,000 people given food care packages is really shocking and disturbing.

Wished they had farmers market open.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)