Personal Finance

Price for notary for personal will in the province of Quebec?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2021 7:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2483 posts
1855 upvotes
Montreal, QC

Price for notary for personal will in the province of Quebec?

What's the going rate for a notary for personal wills in the province of Quebec?

Yes, I know that handwritten wills are legal in the province of Quebec but probate won't (or shouldn't) be an issue with a notarized will.

I was quoted a price of $450 (taxes included) for the service.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2195 posts
2116 upvotes
Your obtained quote is pretty good.

All depends on the complexity of your will and the expertise of the notary.
Might incur additional fees for Quebec registry for wills/probate where one(public) can "find/search" a copy if your personal copy is not located/found in event of death

A simple straight will costs less.

Ours was $600 plus taxes for 2 updated wills. Initially paid $1200 for first wills with the same notary (now retired)

If you are a family man with kids, you needs to appoint a guardian(s) for kids under 18.
RRSP transferable to surviving spouse otherwise a bigger tax on the estate income.
Do not included life insurance as part of the estate ie better to name the beneficiary(ies) on the life insurance policy separately.
(Note: Naming a spouse in life insurance as a sole beneficiary is non revocable if you do not state otherwise on the life policy)

Additional ...
Also have a power of attorney and/or a living mandate in event of incapacitated/illness/hospitalised, drawn uo according to your wishes.
“Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.”
— Robert A. Heinlein
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2483 posts
1855 upvotes
Montreal, QC
imoo2u wrote: Your obtained quote is pretty good.

Thanks. Actually, I misspoke... I was quoted $475 (taxes included). Do you know if this is income tax deductible? I'm assuming not.

At first she seemed to make it sound like I needed to draft the entire thing myself as she stated that our meeting would involve me needing two pieces of identification and my social insurance number (for the registration of the will) but then she later clarified that for the first meeting, we would be reviewing my situation and what my wishes are,

Mine should be relatively simple (not married and no kids) so it will go to my surviving siblings (they can give it to my nieces/nephews as they deem fit) and any surviving parents.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2006
2195 posts
2116 upvotes
lmcjipo wrote: Thanks. Actually, I misspoke... I was quoted $475 (taxes included). Do you know if this is income tax deductible? I'm assuming not.

At first she seemed to make it sound like I needed to draft the entire thing myself as she stated that our meeting would involve me needing two pieces of identification and my social insurance number (for the registration of the will) but then she later clarified that for the first meeting, we would be reviewing my situation and what my wishes are,

Mine should be relatively simple (not married and no kids) so it will go to my surviving siblings (they can give it to my nieces/nephews as they deem fit) and any surviving parents.
Do provide a draft in writing ie list your wishes, names of beneficiaries in what %age each would get and/or who gets what (eg heirlooms, art, memobalia) in clear wordings to the notary.
You must specific what/whom to give/share if any beneficiary pre-deceased you. (Of course, you can update with a new will at any time)
Also name a liquidator(trustee), an alternate liquidator in case the first is not available to handle the affairs. Preferrable you ask his/her consent before naming him/her as a liquidator.
Then the notary make a formal legal will set according to your 'draft'. She/he (the notary) will then go through with a reading to you before you sign in front of witnesses.
There will be a second witness (another notary partner or the secretary etc) to your signing.

(Haha) Of course, it is NOT tax deductible as it is a private matter. $475 is still a good deal.
Do tell your relatives that you got a will done so as not to complicate things.
Keep your copy of will safe and secure.
Write down separately the will's registration number from Quebec Regie and give/place with persons whom you like to share.

What we did/had done with our notary ...
1. Last Will ( included a term to revoke any previous will)
2. Power of Attorney and/or Mandate
3. Living Will ( this is different from no:1) more to do with incapacity to consent, physically and mentally esp for medical treatment(s) ie not to prolong one's life

2 and 3 are extra so your notary might charge more if you want to take further.
To add, we known our notary for many years so our will preparation rates were pretty good.
For first timer, it would cost around $800 per person (excluding taxes)

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The following is just an observation. DO SEEK legal advice.
Interesting to know from what I gathered, if you get married legally (after making a will while being an unmarried person), that (bachelorhood's) will becomes NULL and VOID. You MUST make a new will after the date of your legal marriage. Also your (new) legal married spouse is still 'entitled' to a share of the estate assets accumulated during the period of your matrimony even with a valid will excluding the spouse entitlement/share. Please do confirm with your notary if you are enroute that way in future years.
“Ninety percent of all human wisdom is the ability to mind your own business.”
— Robert A. Heinlein