Expired Hot Deals

[Price War] Price War (Toronto)- $19.99 Sylvania SDVD6655-B DVD player.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2021 9:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21753 posts
24895 upvotes
Toronto

Price War (Toronto)- $19.99 Sylvania SDVD6655-B DVD player.

Price:
$19.99
Retailer:
Price War
I've been borrowing a lot of DVDs lately from TPL for stuff I can't find on streaming. Got tired of hooking laptop w/built-in DVD drive to TV each time to watch DVDs.

Noticed that Price War (564 Bloor Street West) has Sylvania SDVD6655-B new for $19.99. Grabbed one a few weeks ago and it's been great. Cheaper than Walmart ($34.88). Note, HDMI cable not included but does come with RCA cables for older TVs.

https://www.toptenreviews.com/standard- ... 5-b-review
Images
  • 20210116_095932.jpg
Last edited by sprung on Jan 17th, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
52 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9016 posts
5447 upvotes
Toronto
If you want a cheaper option, many thrift stores have shelves full of these for $5-10.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21753 posts
24895 upvotes
Toronto
Angultra wrote: If you want a cheaper option, many thrift stores have shelves full of these for $5-10.
I mean we could do that for every new item posted on RFD. Clothing, TVs , cars. Will always be cheaper used but that's not what this forum is really about.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2714 posts
3639 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
Check on Craigslist and Kijiji. I often see dvd players being given away all the time. Sometimes the person will give thier library of DVD's as well as they are streaming thier media.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2017
1143 posts
2447 upvotes
Toronto
LAVA HOT!

...in 2005.
Oct 15, 2019
42 posts
76 upvotes
For those curious this device does not play Blurays.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1567 posts
542 upvotes
sprung wrote: I mean we could do that for every new item posted on RFD. Clothing, TVs , cars. Will always be cheaper used but that's not what this forum is really about.
I get your point, but in 2021, a DVD player is basically garbage sitting in people's closets and garages. You can find them for free on kijiji, from friends, or going for a walk on garbage day morning. There's no status to buying a brand new dvd player, and at this point the tech has been mature for 10+ years. I don't think there's any loss in grabbing second hand one. But if you want new, I guess this is a good price?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3751 posts
2333 upvotes
Toronto
Coincidentally, my family and I just spent the past 3 days revising my DVD library...kids saw me cleaning out the drawers and asked "what are those??" (they haven't watched a DVD since they were 3 &5) and got excited when they saw some older animated stuff ie. Iron Giant, spirited away, Titan AE, etc.
Hooked up the old player to the TV (no HDMI output, had to use RCA but could find only a red/white audio cable so had to use the red as video and listen to mono sound)...had to get used to watching SD quality again but it was fun re watching some stuff I haven't seen in years.
Wife says, "you should get another player just in case this one breaks down". I still have 2 extra players sitting my parents basement storage though (I never got into BluRay and don't have gaming consoles)...
Last edited by Fightguard on Jan 17th, 2021 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dec 29, 2003
652 posts
312 upvotes
Montreal
Any Blu Ray player, like consoles etc will play DVDs, so buying "extra" DVD players seems moot.
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." Benjamin Franklin
Nov 27, 2020
64 posts
274 upvotes
OP, does this connect via HDMI? I gave up trying to figure out adapters and av cables.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
10706 posts
5045 upvotes
SavingsNow wrote: For those curious this device does not play Blurays.
Its called a dvd player not a bluray player lol.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user!
EQ BANK!
SIMPLii !!
Buy first think later!
Dec 19, 2006
754 posts
701 upvotes
Vancouver
Wouldn't something like a Chromecast be a more versatile option if you don't want to hook up your laptop to your TV?
Apr 19, 2020
149 posts
150 upvotes
langley
You can get used 4k players for $10 now who buys just a dvd player ?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3751 posts
2333 upvotes
Toronto
ocisnicola wrote: Wouldn't something like a Chromecast be a more versatile option if you don't want to hook up your laptop to your TV?
that's a different discussion...OP/thread is about watching DVDs
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1866 posts
1698 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn't even take this for free LOL. It's just to obsolete. That and the fact i threw out my dvd player and dvds almost 10 years ago....
😎Thanks RFD😎
Dec 19, 2006
754 posts
701 upvotes
Vancouver
Fightguard wrote: that's a different discussion...OP/thread is about watching DVDs
I mean, he said he was using his laptop before and just got tired of hooking it up to the TV. If that’s the case, then using a Chromecast to stream the DVDs from the laptop is an option, no?
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3751 posts
2333 upvotes
Toronto
ocisnicola wrote: I mean, he said he was using his laptop before and just got tired of hooking it up to the TV. If that’s the case, then using a Chromecast to stream the DVDs from the laptop is an option, no?
No, the laptop (phone, tablet, etc) does not actually "feed" any audio/video to a CC. It's more like sending the CC a "command" to stream whatever you your TV. So DVD content off a physical disc will not work over CC.
Okay, I stand corrected... apparently it's possible TIL
Last edited by Fightguard on Jan 17th, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 19, 2006
754 posts
701 upvotes
Vancouver
Fightguard wrote: No, the laptop (phone, tablet, etc) does not actually "feed" any audio/video to a CC. It's more like sending the CC a "command" to stream whatever you your TV. So DVD content off a physical disc will not work over CC.
I don’t have a Chromecast personally, but as far as I can tell from googling, you can stream DVDs and media files from PC just fine.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12934 posts
2224 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
The last DVD players I bought were Sylvania, and all suffered laser rot. One of them just sat in a box and rotted. I would opt for a used namebrand.

Laser rot = everything works, but the laser can't focus and read the disc.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21753 posts
24895 upvotes
Toronto
deals4realz wrote: OP, does this connect via HDMI? I gave up trying to figure out adapters and av cables.
Yup. Has HDMI and RCA connectors. HDMI cable not included however.