PC & Video Games

Prices Announced - Who is getting a launch PS5 or Xbox?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 4:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Sr. Member
Jan 25, 2006
790 posts
166 upvotes
Nova Scotia

Prices Announced - Who is getting a launch PS5 or Xbox?

Now that we have prices for both systems I wonder who will be getting what system on the launch date. PS5? Xbox? Both (crazy kids!). Interested to hear your reasoning for jumping in or waiting on the sidelines for things like more games, price decrease, happy with your X or PS4. Not doing a poll but just want curious on an informal thread on your thoughts.
101 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8542 posts
2938 upvotes
I will get both. Even the improvements in performance and load times for existing PS4 and XB1 games would be a significant boost.

I was expecting PS5 and XBox Two to launch in 2018 but I guess both companies waited for a 7 year gap between launch and the next true
console generation.

Timeline of current gen releases:
PS4 & XB1 (2013)--> PS4 Pro (2016) --> XBox One X (2017)---> next-gen PS5 and XBox Series X (2020).


.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2148 posts
853 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm getting the X first as I need the horsepower as the One S is underpowered. Will eventually get the PS5 and play all those games I never did but I'll wait for the revision for a slimmer console. I mean, the X is huge but it's black, it literally disappears in my tv stand at night. As for white, it's an eye sore
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3052 posts
702 upvotes
Vaughan
I'll be getting a ps5. I tried xbox once, never again. I had an xbox 360, a month or two of ownership, it started overheating and freezing. Didn't get the red ring of death, but still had problems. Sent it in for repair, same problem existed. Bestbuy allowed me to exchange it for a new one. The new one did the same thing. Two xbox 360's, both same problems. Ended up selling the xbox, bought a ps3, and never looked back.

Every sony game console i owned was solid. Ps1, ps2, ps3, and ps4. I try a Microsoft product once, and it fails on two of the same product. No thanks Microsoft. Plus i like final fantasy games, so that's a plus. For me its a no brainer, ps5 all the way.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Moderator
User avatar
Aug 20, 2009
7863 posts
2711 upvotes
Grimsby
Still up in the air, will decide tonight. I am leaning towards PS5 because Sony tends to consistently bring great first party games and a lot of the Japanese games I like too.

I might do launch - PS5 Disc Edition then get a Series S to play Gamepass stuff a bit later when Microsoft starts bringing out some first party stuff.

or maybe I'll just flip a coin later, kind of amusing to let chance decide. I always end up owning both anyway so /shrug :)
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1406 posts
547 upvotes
phuviano wrote: I'll be getting a ps5. I tried xbox once, never again. I had an xbox 360, a month or two of ownership, it started overheating and freezing. Didn't get the red ring of death, but still had problems. Sent it in for repair, same problem existed. Bestbuy allowed me to exchange it for a new one. The new one did the same thing. Two xbox 360's, both same problems. Ended up selling the xbox, bought a ps3, and never looked back.

Every sony game console i owned was solid. Ps1, ps2, ps3, and ps4. I try a Microsoft product once, and it fails on two of the same product. No thanks Microsoft. Plus i like final fantasy games, so that's a plus. For me its a no brainer, ps5 all the way.
Later revisions helped with RROD, but sony wasn't immune to these problems too just an FYI.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4395 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
pitabread wrote: Later revisions helped with RROD, but sony wasn't immune to these problems too just an FYI.
Yeah they had the YLOD, although it wasn't as widespread. That said, both consoles have taken cooling and venting to another level and neither of them want the same headaches they had last gen.

I'm getting a Series X first, then going with a PS5 later down the line once they have a cheaper, slimmer digital version, and games like Horizon and God of War 2 are out. There's literally no place in my media console for something the length of PS5 anyway, unless I put it on top next to the soundbar - and with two toddlers at home, that's just not something I want to deal with. The series X will at least still fit if I put it sideways, with enough room for airflow.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 5, 2001
6427 posts
4416 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: Yeah they had the YLOD, although it wasn't as widespread. That said, both consoles have taken cooling and venting to another level and neither of them want the same headaches they had last gen.

I'm getting a Series X first, then going with a PS5 later down the line once they have a cheaper, slimmer digital version, and games like Horizon and God of War 2 are out. There's literally no place in my media console for something the length of PS5 anyway, unless I put it on top next to the soundbar - and with two toddlers at home, that's just not something I want to deal with. The series X will at least still fit if I put it sideways, with enough room for airflow.
If you get both and run them simultaneously, you'd get free heating for the winter time.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 2, 2012
1712 posts
2561 upvotes
Both, but neither at launch this time around. Sony didn't impress me with anything coming up anytime soon. And some of their console exclusives like FF16 were coming to PC as well anyway. Microsoft impressed me with Game Pass, but again don't necessarily need a Series S/X to utilize it. PC seemed like the real winner here to me at the moment Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.

I'll continue on with Switch, maybe upgrade my PC, and get Game Pass Ultimate. Then just wait for the console price drops before picking them up.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4395 posts
1357 upvotes
Toronto
9394 wrote: If you get both and run them simultaneously, you'd get free heating for the winter time.
+200 IQ!

Wife: "Why are you playing so much video games?"
Me: "I'm trying to save on heating bills!!"
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1395 posts
450 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: Yeah they had the YLOD, although it wasn't as widespread. That said, both consoles have taken cooling and venting to another level and neither of them want the same headaches they had last gen.
Don't hold your breath. I'd say more but I don't want to get banned.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
Both. I'll be reselling XSS and PS5 DE to cover my cost like I did 7 years ago.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 25, 2007
1596 posts
448 upvotes
Definitely series x on launch. If I don't get a new TV then ps5 digital too otherwise just the Xbox.
Last edited by inocent on Sep 16th, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
2409 posts
2547 upvotes
GTA
Bryson wrote: Don't hold your breath. I'd say more but I don't want to get banned.
I'm dying to know. Maybe you can find a way to explain without getting banned?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 23, 2013
1344 posts
654 upvotes
Scarborough
Definitely PS5, Sony exclusives are always bangers and also big on the JRPG games.

I'll probably end up waiting to buy it in December/January. What are people's thoughts, sold out by then?

Top