PC & Video Games

Prices Announced - Who is getting a launch PS5 or Xbox?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 4:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4501 posts
1635 upvotes
Ajax
mymuro wrote: Both. I'll be reselling XSS and PS5 DE to cover my cost like I did 7 years ago.
I do that as well although I am not confident that the mark up will be the same as 7 years ago given the pricing and COVID. I can see a lot of potential violent incidents as well over this. Also with 4 different skus across both Sony and Microsoft, not sure if supply/demand will be as tight as previously. Will see. Can always return them or do a goodwill service to people here on RFD who could not get anything.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
mrtvgame wrote: Correct, launch PSOne, PS2 and PS3 all had plagued disc drives.
Oh, those launch 60GB PS3's had more than faulty disc drives...
My first one had the PSU die in less than a year. The refurb Sony sent me under warranty started overheating after the warranty was up. I did the thermal paste myself and it didn't help at all, it probably needed a reflow. Now it's ewaste somewhere.
I will say the second gen and slims were all solid.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
mrtvgame wrote: Good candidate for Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Boxing Day deals. Has Sony announced anything about stopping PS4 production?
I jumped on Kijiji after the price announcement. New listings of PS4 Pro's were being offered as low as $320. I'm sure if people don't get that, they'll flip it to EB for the current $270 TIV
c'mon get happy!
Dec 7, 2012
35 posts
13 upvotes
Was almost pulled into getting a PS5 after yesterday's stream, but after Sony's messy handling of everything I'm deciding on a XSX with Gamepass. I skipped this gen so it's really a no-brainer. Day 1 I'll be able to play on a bunch of games I skipped on, without having to buy a single game. The PS Collection doesn't compare. Especially with games being 90$ now, my first game purchase will probably be on Boxing Day.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
4501 posts
1635 upvotes
Ajax
BernardRyder wrote: I jumped on Kijiji after the price announcement. New listings of PS4 Pro's were being offered as low as $320. I'm sure if people don't get that, they'll flip it to EB for the current $270 TIV
No they won't as the EB stores got squat in terms of PS5 allocation. Less than 20 units per store. Many reporting under 10. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
3611 posts
2869 upvotes
getting the xbox x. PS5 didn't really wow me and there's not much attraction in the games they have at launch. xbox with gamepass and backwards compatibility is great especially for online playing some fav games
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4389 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
Sirocco wrote: Was almost pulled into getting a PS5 after yesterday's stream, but after Sony's messy handling of everything I'm deciding on a XSX with Gamepass. I skipped this gen so it's really a no-brainer. Day 1 I'll be able to play on a bunch of games I skipped on, without having to buy a single game. The PS Collection doesn't compare. Especially with games being 90$ now, my first game purchase will probably be on Boxing Day.
StatsGuy wrote: getting the xbox x. PS5 didn't really wow me and there's not much attraction in the games they have at launch. xbox with gamepass and backwards compatibility is great especially for online playing some fav games
I'm sure you've already thought it through (or you already have GamePass on PC), but just in case you haven't, you may want to see if you can grab a couple years of XBox Live and do the $1 upgrade to GamePass ultimate. Aside from that, there's also PC GamePass upgrade (it's currently $5 but is going up to $10) as well as an option to upgrade EA Play to 3-4 months of GamePass ultimate...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Aug 15, 2009
934 posts
600 upvotes
Montreal
Neither at launch. My old PS4 still works and have less time to game every year. But will go PS5 in the futur.
Dec 1, 2011
262 posts
45 upvotes
Got a pre-order through Best Buy last night and EB in store this morning both for the disc version PS5.
Pre-ordered Miles Morales, Sackboy and an extra controller.
Hoping we can pick up FIFA, Madden and 2k21 for cheap on ps4 for black friday and use them for the free upgrade to PS5.
Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5366 posts
1001 upvotes
calgary
I really don't expect there to be a huge shortage of these things this fall.

Sony is producing more PS5's than PS4's allegedly and at 630$ a pop (as opposed to the 400$ the PS4 launched at) that combined with where we are as an economy and what these are offering...
I think people hoping to subsidize their own purchases by re-selling are in for a rude awakening by either taking a modest profit or returning it back to the store.
Dec 7, 2012
35 posts
13 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: I'm sure you've already thought it through (or you already have GamePass on PC), but just in case you haven't, you may want to see if you can grab a couple years of XBox Live and do the $1 upgrade to GamePass ultimate. Aside from that, there's also PC GamePass upgrade (it's currently $5 but is going up to $10) as well as an option to upgrade EA Play to 3-4 months of GamePass ultimate...
I don't have Gamepass, but I'm also debating if i should get XSX All-access @ 40someting/month for 2 years or buy the xbox flat-out and use the 1$ upgrade. obviously 1$ route is cheaper. but dropping 690$ tax-in hurts haha
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2035 posts
2621 upvotes
Windsor
Sirocco wrote: I don't have Gamepass, but I'm also debating if i should get XSX All-access @ 40someting/month for 2 years or buy the xbox flat-out and use the 1$ upgrade. obviously 1$ route is cheaper. but dropping 690$ tax-in hurts haha
Resell 3 PS5s then you'll have your XSX covered.
Jul 4, 2015
99 posts
14 upvotes
ON
I haven't really played video games recently, had Nintendo>Genesis>PS1>Xbox>360 and then stopped due to time limitations.

While I do like the feel of the larger Xbox controllers, I'm pretty partial to either system. So I will make my decision based on exclusive games.

Since I'm so out of touch with what games there are recently, is there a chart/list somewhere that compares the Playstation exclusives to the Xbox exclusives?

Then I can watch the trailers of the exclusives and decide what's interesting.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2326 posts
353 upvotes
If I could find one I'd probably pre-order a PS5 and Demon's Souls right now. I had one in my cart on London Drugs last night and still wasn't sure I wanted one at launch, by the time I'd made up my mind they were gone.
hotsnacks wrote:
Since I'm so out of touch with what games there are recently, is there a chart/list somewhere that compares the Playstation exclusives to the Xbox exclusives?
There's not much to compare. Microsoft had very, very few exclusives last gen. They bought a ton of studios the last couple years, but they mostly haven't announced Series S/X titles yet.
Last edited by Ascott on Sep 17th, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
hotsnacks wrote: Since I'm so out of touch with what games there are recently, is there a chart/list somewhere that compares the Playstation exclusives to the Xbox exclusives?

Then I can watch the trailers of the exclusives and decide what's interesting.
Here's a chart of launch games to start, which doesn't get too exhaustive.

https://www.psu.com/news/ps5-vs-xbox-se ... ch-titles/