PC & Video Games

Prices Announced - Who is getting a launch PS5 or Xbox?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2020 4:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4387 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
hotsnacks wrote: I haven't really played video games recently, had Nintendo>Genesis>PS1>Xbox>360 and then stopped due to time limitations.

While I do like the feel of the larger Xbox controllers, I'm pretty partial to either system. So I will make my decision based on exclusive games.

Since I'm so out of touch with what games there are recently, is there a chart/list somewhere that compares the Playstation exclusives to the Xbox exclusives?

Then I can watch the trailers of the exclusives and decide what's interesting.
The PS controllers were heavily improved last gen. I still prefer XBox controllers but it got a lot closer and the Dualshocks just fit better in hand than the previous iterations.

What kind of games do you like? Sony has cornered the market on single player narrative games and it's not really close. If you buy a PS5 and have a PS+ sub, you'll have access to some of their best games from last gen through their PS+ Collection, including God of War, Uncharted 4 and Last of Us to name a few

With XBox, their exclusive is Game Pass. It's the best value in gaming and will give you good first and third party games for a pretty low monthly price. GamePass gives you access to exclusives like Forza Horizon 4, all the Halo games, Gears, plus over a hundred other games from a variety of developers.

Since you haven't played games in a while, you probably don't even need to buy a next gen console and just buy a current gen for now to catch up on all the games you missed. None of the really noteworthy exclusives are coming out within the next year anyway... And now it even seems like several of the launch games will be cross generation games.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: Since you haven't played games in a while, you probably don't even need to buy a next gen console and just buy a current gen for now to catch up on all the games you missed. None of the really noteworthy exclusives are coming out within the next year anyway... And now it even seems like several of the launch games will be cross generation games.
That would be the most affordable option for sure. Kijiji prices have dropped a bit over the last few days so there are some deals to be had, and Black Friday could potentially have a lot of sales on PS4 and Xbox One. Heck you could buy both consoles for the price of one of the new ones.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1663 posts
893 upvotes
Durham
Xbox. Got Gamepass until Nov or Dec 2022
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2220 posts
618 upvotes
Ottawa
Getting the PS5. Might skip Xbox this gen. I have the 360 and XBONE X but I still ended up using the PS3 and currently the PS4 a lot more. The Xbox exclusives just don’t interest me as much compared to Sony.

I will probably eventually pick up the Series X if there is a good deal in a year or so but for now I’m sticking with the PS5.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
9720 posts
1835 upvotes
Victoria
I'll betting a ps5 at some point. This gen I rocked a ps4 and ps4 pro almost the whole way. I did end up buying an Xbox One X last boxing day to replace the ps3 that was the main optical drive media device in the living room. I was also really itching to play RDR1 Xbox One Enhanced. Still, if my ps3 drive had started crapping out, I don't think I would of bought one.

I'm open to getting an Xbox, but there's more games I want to play on the Playstation. You get all the multi-platform games plus the playstation exclusives. If Xbox does put out some good exclusives, I could end up buying a series X down the road.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
1432 posts
413 upvotes
I got a pre-order in for a PS5 Disc Edition with plans to maybe flip it for a profit. I haven’t done the Xbox because most of the stuff will work on my recent gaming pc with game pass. I just don’t see a reason to get it when they will play on my pc with the game pass at the moment
[external link removed]
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
4383 posts
2964 upvotes
Toronto and London
Pre ordered Ps5 disc version and I can't wait. Will also get next Nintendo console.

I'll only get an Xbox if I don't build another gaming PC. Otherwise it's a waste of money imo.
Jul 4, 2015
99 posts
14 upvotes
ON
AnonymousBroccoli wrote: @hotsnacks A couple that are exhaustive, to the point that the pages are a bit heavy to load:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps5- ... games-6300
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox ... sives-6400
Thank you for this! So many of them are cross platform, which is good I suppose.
M1GOmigs wrote:
The PS controllers were heavily improved last gen. I still prefer XBox controllers but it got a lot closer and the Dualshocks just fit better in hand than the previous iterations.

What kind of games do you like? Sony has cornered the market on single player narrative games and it's not really close. If you buy a PS5 and have a PS+ sub, you'll have access to some of their best games from last gen through their PS+ Collection, including God of War, Uncharted 4 and Last of Us to name a few

With XBox, their exclusive is Game Pass. It's the best value in gaming and will give you good first and third party games for a pretty low monthly price. GamePass gives you access to exclusives like Forza Horizon 4, all the Halo games, Gears, plus over a hundred other games from a variety of developers.

Since you haven't played games in a while, you probably don't even need to buy a next gen console and just buy a current gen for now to catch up on all the games you missed. None of the really noteworthy exclusives are coming out within the next year anyway... And now it even seems like several of the launch games will be cross generation games.
On PS, the left analog stick is the primary way to move rather than the d-pad right? Wish they swapped placement like Xbox and were a bit bigger in the hands.

My fav games were Red Dead, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fable, Metal Gear Solid, Assassins Creed, Halo series, COD story mode, loved the Resident Evil series etc. Sounds like PS has more exclusives in that camp?

Playing online isn't a huge attraction since there are too many hardcore people with too much time. Casual play when friends are over is preferred. I'll probably get whatever Nintendo launches next for more multiplayer games.

Does PS+ only have games for a month at a time, or a huge library constantly? I noticed not ALL games are on Xbox Game Pass which is a shame, especially the top ones are missing.

While I like the cost-savings idea of buying current gen for less, I'm gonna treat myself this year!
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
hotsnacks wrote: On PS, the left analog stick is the primary way to move rather than the d-pad right? Wish they swapped placement like Xbox and were a bit bigger in the hands.
Control schemes are generally the same as on Xbox--usually with movement on left analog. It's just the physical placement that's different on PlayStation. Some genres like 2D platformers will allow you to use the D-pad to move as well, but that'd be the case on other platforms too.

The new DualSense is a bit bigger than PS4's DualShock 4.

My fav games were Red Dead, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fable, Metal Gear Solid, Assassins Creed, Halo series, COD story mode, loved the Resident Evil series etc. Sounds like PS has more exclusives in that camp?
Generally, yes, PlayStation's exclusives are often single-player story-based third-person action-adventure games. A lot of the biggest PS4 games would fit in that mould:
  • Uncharted
  • Spider-Man
  • God of War
  • Horizon Zero Dawn (and its upcoming sequel, Forbidden West)
  • The Last of Us
  • inFamous
  • Bloodborne
  • Knack
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Death Stranding
Does PS+ only have games for a month at a time, or a huge library constantly? I noticed not ALL games are on Xbox Game Pass which is a shame, especially the top ones are missing.
PlayStation Plus is like Xbox Games with Gold. They currently offer 2 PS4 games at a time, and swap them out on the first Tuesday of the month. If you're a PS+ subscriber, you can claim them within that month, and continue playing them as long as you're a subscriber.

If you've never had PS+, there's no back library. For PS5 owners, they'll offer a "PlayStation Plus Collection" of 18 PS4 games for no extra charge.

PlayStation Now is their rough equivalent to Game Pass, with a large library to choose from. Though it mainly focuses on streaming games--mostly PS3 games. It does have some PS4 games available to download. Unlike Xbox with Game Pass, PlayStation do not plan to put their first-party new releases on PS Now.
Sep 20, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
Having trouble deciding

Been an xbox user since the original xbox, but now considering the ps5 for some reason lol,

I mostly play non-exclusive games (madden/cod/nhl/nba etc) so game exclusivity isnt a selling point for me. Will both system run these games relatively identical? I also like the xbox controller, is haptic feedback "gimicky" or a great feature?

Help me decide which to buy! lol
Aug 20, 2009
7855 posts
2706 upvotes
Grimsby
glizzygladiator wrote: Having trouble deciding

Been an xbox user since the original xbox, but now considering the ps5 for some reason lol,

I mostly play non-exclusive games (madden/cod/nhl/nba etc) so game exclusivity isnt a selling point for me. Will both system run these games relatively identical? I also like the xbox controller, is haptic feedback "gimicky" or a great feature?

Help me decide which to buy! lol
The Series X has better specs and if you don't care about exclusives then it's a safer bet for you. EA Play is now included with Gamepass which will cover most of your needs.

Haptic feedback is probably a gimmicky feature, I have trouble imagining what meaningful feedback you could get with it and many developers won't bother with a single platform feature.
Sep 20, 2020
4 posts
1 upvote
Redmask wrote: The Series X has better specs and if you don't care about exclusives then it's a safer bet for you. EA Play is now included with Gamepass which will cover most of your needs.

Haptic feedback is probably a gimmicky feature, I have trouble imagining what meaningful feedback you could get with it and many developers won't bother with a single platform feature.
Thanks for your input!

I don't play the EA games as much so i probably won't get gamepass, but I see what you're saying.

Xbox hasnt really given me a reason to switch to PS, a case of "grass is greener" perhaps.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1395 posts
450 upvotes
Redmask wrote: The Series X has better specs and if you don't care about exclusives then it's a safer bet for you. EA Play is now included with Gamepass which will cover most of your needs.

I'm still salty that the PS4 had audio coming out the control for like the 1st 6 months of the PS4 then stopped. I loved that feature. Ghost of Tsushima has wind thru the controller. I was genuinely shocked the first time i heard it. Totally forgot about that lil speaker.
Feb 15, 2010
524 posts
351 upvotes
Surrey
hotsnacks wrote: Thank you for this! So many of them are cross platform, which is good I suppose.

On PS, the left analog stick is the primary way to move rather than the d-pad right? Wish they swapped placement like Xbox and were a bit bigger in the hands.

Playing online isn't a huge attraction since there are too many hardcore people with too much time. Casual play when friends are over is preferred. I'll probably get whatever Nintendo launches next for more multiplayer games.

While I like the cost-savings idea of buying current gen for less, I'm gonna treat myself this year!
Interesting how one day has completely changed which console is better for your. Yesterday, Playstation, today, Xbox.