Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Prime Day: Mavic Mini Fly More Combo $499.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 12:29 am
Jun 19, 2017
71 posts
37 upvotes
CanadaCPU wrote: - Fly in National or Provincial parks (i.e. Banff, Kananaskis, or Jasper area)
Why god, why? This makes no freaking sense.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2006
5515 posts
1884 upvotes
fhmontibeller wrote: Why god, why? This makes no freaking sense.
Technically, if you get that specific park's warden's permission, you are allowed to fly there. But, I'm sure 99% of the time they will tell you to fuch off....in the most polite, Canadian way of course, eh.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Jul 14, 2019
545 posts
876 upvotes
fhmontibeller wrote: Why god, why? This makes no freaking sense.
Wildlife protection, disturbing people, etc. I can understand the wildlife protection standpoint (birds really like to chase drones, I have had it happen many times in legal flying areas), and I can also understand that it wouldn't be great to have 100 drones flying above places like Lake Louise or Moraine Lake at all hours of the day. There are, unfortunately, a lot of very bad and very irresponsible drone pilots out there which is the reason the rules are as strict as they are.

You can apply for special permission to fly, but it generally has to be for a purpose like documentary filming.

That being said, I agree with you on some level. Just as an extreme example, people who can't control their kids or dogs are WAY more annoying in places like that than drones are, and they cause far more problems, but you can't just tell people they can't bring their kids to national parks haha. We don't have to like it, but the rules are the rules.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11180 posts
500 upvotes
Ottawa
Back up to full price
- Absolute
Jul 31, 2008
180 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaCPU - very helpful post - thank you!!!

I'm sure there are some or many drone owners that fly over areas and not obeying any of the rules, but doesn't DJI app prevent that if the zone is in the RED category of NFZ? I'm confused then how one can bypass this is the case.

I'm assuming that as long as the drone can launch then it's not in a NFZ and all is okay.

Cheers

CanadaCPU wrote: I am a licensed drone pilot. There seems to be lots of confusion on where you can and can't fly the Mavic Mini.

Here in Canada, the 249g weight doesn't do that much for you. You don't need to register the drone or get a basic license, but anyone with 20 minutes to spare and access to Google can get their basic license with zero preparation and the pass threshold is a ridiculously low 65%. If you somehow manage to fail you can just take it again. It's literally just a money grab and a way to track pilots.

With the Mavic Mini, you still cannot (legally):
- Fly in National or Provincial parks (i.e. Banff, Kananaskis, or Jasper area)
- Fly near Airports / Heliports / Flight paths
- Fly over people ("endangering")
- Fly over private property
- Fly out of visual line of sight, which you will lose long before the drone loses a signal

Etc.

You can fly the Mavic Mini in your back yard / neighborhood, but be prepared for people to not like it, especially if you accidentally fly over their property. You also always have to be flying in a manner that does not endanger people or property, which will be at the discretion of the officer if you get caught doing something you aren't supposed to. The drone has geofencing which means it won't even let you fly in a restricted area, but it is not perfect.

Some people think they can ignore the rules and that just makes it a lot worse for the responsible pilots when those people get caught and the authorities tighten the rules. The Mini is a great drone, but don't buy one thinking you can just fly it wherever you want - most, but not all, of the same restrictions apply as with drones over 250g, at least in terms of how people typically want to use their drones. Some countries have little to no restrictions on drones under 500g or 250g but Canada is not one of them.

Also, a new Mavic Mini is going to be announced before Xmas with 4K, so take that into consideration.

Lastly, if you're a beginner, please take the time to learn how to fly and care for your batteries before going out - SO MANY people lose their drones because they are just excited to get out and fly and don't want to learn first.
Jul 14, 2019
545 posts
876 upvotes
Zebraman wrote: CanadaCPU - very helpful post - thank you!!!

I'm sure there are some or many drone owners that fly over areas and not obeying any of the rules, but doesn't DJI app prevent that if the zone is in the RED category of NFZ? I'm confused then how one can bypass this is the case.

I'm assuming that as long as the drone can launch then it's not in a NFZ and all is okay.

Cheers
You're welcome.

DJI's app will generally prevent you from taking off or flying into most areas you REALLY aren't supposed to be in (like airports) but it's not perfect and the drones can be hacked to disable this. It is still the sole responsibility of the pilot to make sure you are flying in a safe/legal area, putting all your trust in the drone may get you into trouble. The geofencing gets updated a lot, and you can dismiss the updates, which will under some circumstances technically allow you to fly in some areas you shouldn't, assuming they have not been added to the database yet. If you are flying in an area that isn't technically restricted, but requires authority approval, you have to submit your personal information through the app before it will allow you to take off which creates a trail and holds you accountable should something happen.

If anyone else has drone questions (product related or otherwise) I am more than happy to help - I would much rather people get into the hobby with the right education and expectations as it's better for everyone.
Jul 31, 2008
180 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks again :)

I was going to pick up the Mavic Mini during the Amazon prime sale at $499 with the accessory kit, but decided to hold off and wait for the version 2 of the drone. Even then, I'm still learning about drone regulations and am having some reservations as it seems so restrictive of where I can fly and do drone landscape photography, which is what I would be purchasing it for primarily. I was thinking that the Mavic mini being it's so small and portable, it'll make it good for travel as well. I believe the mini doesn't have obstruction detection, which I hope the Mavic mini 2 has, but do you think it's a feature that's required?

I have another question about the WiFi connection to the drone, what happens the signal gets lost, or is too weak? What happens then to the drone?

I'm assuming that DJI is the better of the rest, but if not, please do share your views as well.

Thanks again for the help,

CanadaCPU wrote: You're welcome.

DJI's app will generally prevent you from taking off or flying into most areas you REALLY aren't supposed to be in (like airports) but it's not perfect and the drones can be hacked to disable this. It is still the sole responsibility of the pilot to make sure you are flying in a safe/legal area, putting all your trust in the drone may get you into trouble. The geofencing gets updated a lot, and you can dismiss the updates, which will under some circumstances technically allow you to fly in some areas you shouldn't, assuming they have not been added to the database yet. If you are flying in an area that isn't technically restricted, but requires authority approval, you have to submit your personal information through the app before it will allow you to take off which creates a trail and holds you accountable should something happen.

If anyone else has drone questions (product related or otherwise) I am more than happy to help - I would much rather people get into the hobby with the right education and expectations as it's better for everyone.
Jul 14, 2019
545 posts
876 upvotes
Zebraman wrote: Thanks again :)

I was going to pick up the Mavic Mini during the Amazon prime sale at $499 with the accessory kit, but decided to hold off and wait for the version 2 of the drone. Even then, I'm still learning about drone regulations and am having some reservations as it seems so restrictive of where I can fly and do drone landscape photography, which is what I would be purchasing it for primarily. I was thinking that the Mavic mini being it's so small and portable, it'll make it good for travel as well. I believe the mini doesn't have obstruction detection, which I hope the Mavic mini 2 has, but do you think it's a feature that's required?

I have another question about the WiFi connection to the drone, what happens the signal gets lost, or is too weak? What happens then to the drone?

I'm assuming that DJI is the better of the rest, but if not, please do share your views as well.

Thanks again for the help,
I don't know how serious of a photographer you are, but the Mavic Mini uses a very tiny 1/2.3" sensor (same size as most point & shoot camera or smartphone) with low resolution (12MP) so it would not be my first choice for photography but would be fine for sharing on Instagram or whatever. It certainly is portable though. The Mavic 2 Pro has a 1" 20MP Sony sensor but now you're in a different price category Smiling Face With Open Mouth The Mavic Air 2 steps this up to a 1/2" sensor which is a nice middle ground between the two.

The way the WiFi control works (this is how the Mini and Mavic Air 1 are controlled) is not like your home WiFi and you don't need WiFi to fly it, it is just the way the controller communicates with the drone. It is more sensitive to interference than Occusync which is used on the higher-end drones and range is much more limited, but given that you aren't supposed to fly out of line of sight anyway, that isn't a big deal if you are following the rules. With the WiFi controlled drones, you may find the signal degrades sooner/faster if flying in urban areas with lots of interference. Occusync is not immune to interference either but it is more tolerant to it.

When any DJI drone loses a signal (doesn't matter if it's a WiFi controlled drone or Occusync) you have 3 options to choose from and you would select this in the menu before flying. You can choose for it to hover indefinitely, return to home (at a selectable minimum altitude), or land. Depending on where you are flying, you may wish to adjust this setting. Typically, it's best to have the drone return to home because as soon as you get the signal back you can resume control of the drone. The downside to this is drones without obstacle sensors have a harder time flying by themselves safely. If you are over water or something, you do not want the drone to hover indefinitely or land, obviously. When the drones run out of battery they will land no matter where they are, however best practice (and the best thing for your batteries) is to not let them drop below about 20% unless it's an emergency. One very common mistake is to fly with the wind and let the battery get too low, then when you turn around to come home against the wind, the flight time estimates are way off and you won't make it home. If, for example, you are flying in a forest or indoors, you may not want the drone to automatically "return to home (you)" because the first thing it will do is fly up to the pre-set altitude which may ram it into a tree canopy or roof. It's definitely a feature to keep an eye on, and adjust according to your flight plan. For general outdoor use you will want to set the drone to return to home should it lose a signal. Really, none of this is a big deal at all if you're flying within line of sight.

If the signal is simply weak, the first thing that will happen is the video feed on your remote/phone will get choppy, and there are signal bars in the app that you can keep an eye on. It's pretty easy to stay out of trouble if you're paying attention. There is a "return to home" button on the remote, or you can turn around and fly back to yourself until you regain a strong signal.

Obstacle avoidance is very handy if flying in tight spaces and in sketchier return-to-home signal loss scenarios, but within line of sight in my opinion it's pretty easy not to hit things, especially with how stable the DJI drones are. The most important thing here is to train yourself to use the opposite control stick direction when the drone is flying towards you (when the controls are obviously reversed), otherwise you may accidentally send the drone into a wall or something you are trying to avoid.

DJI is by far the best drone manufacturer for the average user, they essentially have a monopoly on the Drone market. They have the best hardware and the most polished app and user experience. Also, virtually all third party accessories are made for DJI drones so it makes things easier to find anytime you need something. GoPro's Karma drone failed, Autel's EVO drones are underwhelming, have lots of problems, and are not popular, and Skydio's automated tracking drones don't seem to perform nearly as well in real life as their marketing materials suggest.

Another thing I might suggest is buying a cheap micro-drone on Amazon that has the exact same controls as a DJI drone to practice and get your muscle memory up to par. They are around $30, palm sized, and you can fly them indoors or in the back yard if there's no wind. Something like the Syma X20 is a good one, it even has altitude hold and auto-land which is pretty hilarious
Oct 21, 2020
1 posts
Zebraman wrote:
Another point I’ll add is that the Mavic Mini does not use WiFi to fly the drone. Proof is that you can fly it by line of sight without a device attached. WiFi is only used to communicate to your device to transfer stored video/pictures from the drone. Even the view you see while flying with a device attached is coming through the cable you link to your device, not through WiFi. WiFi range is far too limited for any significant distance flying.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2173 posts
2661 upvotes
Toronto
Got the Mavic Mini but the experience so far has been abysmal. The quality of the parts, packaging, etc. is top notch. But the Android app is flaky (I'm on a Pixel 3 XL with Android 10). First I kept getting a GPS/navigation error, now I keep getting a 30224 error about 'incompatible firmware' but attempts to update the firmware keep telling me it's up to date, with no other help provided in the app. I've read that the batteries also need a firmware update through the DJI Assistant desktop app, which I'm trying now. If that doesn't work, this thing is going back...
Nothing to see here folks...
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
2173 posts
2661 upvotes
Toronto
Parrajara wrote: You're going to hate me more when I recommend the DJI Care Refresh.

It certainly paid off its dividends for me....
Is there a promo for the DJI Care Refresh when you first buy the drone? I saw something on the app about it but now I can't find it.
Nothing to see here folks...
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1378 posts
1533 upvotes
BC
Price of Mavic Mini 2 got leaked. It's $449US for basic model and $599US for the Fly More Combo.

If you got the Mavic Mini 1 at the Prime Day special, you've got a hot deal. Unless you must have 4K video I don't think the upgrades are worth $300 more.