• Last Updated:
  • Jul 19th, 2019 5:27 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2016
1112 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto

Prime Day No Signature Required - Porch Pirates and other sheannigans

Long story short, I got in on the TV and monitor deals during prime days.

Got home after a loonnngggggg day at work; saw the TV by the front door and got side tracked, I spent the next 2-3 hours juggling prepping dinner and lunch for the next day, laundry, setting up the new TV and putting away the 27" dell monitor I've been using as a makeshift TV for months.

The moment I start streaming from Prime... it dawned on me that the TV and monitor were suppose to be TOGETHER.
Rushed outside in a panic, checked every inch and crany by the front door... nothing...
Checked amazon's website again; says delivered - same time as TV... OH FFS :( Disappointed Face
Rushed outside AGAIN; NOPE.AVI
Check website again... *sad face*

I contacted Amazon Support and they're looking into it... does Amazon not use signature required anymore?
It was a $250 TV and $400 monitor... In retro spect, I kinda wish they took the TV instead...

I'm going to start setting up motion activated cams by the front door - out of spite... for the pirates and amazon...

/end_vent

Pixel

PS: I hope others had a better day than I
Pixelation~
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2001
3416 posts
1251 upvotes
Toronto
if it was delivered by Amazon's own delivery service, you can click the tracking number and sometimes it'll have a picture of where they left your monitor (porch, side of house, etc)

that might give you a hint if it was stolen or wasn't actually delivered.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6738 posts
3998 upvotes
Toronto
I'm expecting stuff tomorrow and also expecting problems for the opposite reason. I'll probably miss the call from the delivery guy or he won't call or he'll just refuse to leave it outside my apartment door (i.e. in the secure area), and I'll probably have to go pick it up from a Purolator office in friggin' Scarborough that is only open until 6pm or something. They can't win. ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
It really bothers me that their is a new job in this world and that job is stealing packages from your front door. I have read online they actually follow Fedex and Purolator trucks into subdivisions to steal the packages. What is this world coming too?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2016
1112 posts
597 upvotes
Toronto
GSXXRR wrote: if it was delivered by Amazon's own delivery service, you can click the tracking number and sometimes it'll have a picture of where they left your monitor (porch, side of house, etc)

that might give you a hint if it was stolen or wasn't actually delivered.
It was delivered by Purolator - "Package singed by OSNR"
antigua1999 wrote: It really bothers me that their is a new job in this world and that job is stealing packages from your front door. I have read online they actually follow Fedex and Purolator trucks into subdivisions to steal the packages. What is this world coming too?
That's not a job... that's a choice. Hence I stand this statement "Treating people like crap isn't a job, it's a choice." - NIck (CSI Las Vegas).

I think Prime Day is different for pirates in the sense they can just drive through entire neighbourhoods and find packages by the tons in front doors - I saw a number of LARGE boxes by the front door around my area on my way home...
In retrospect... Amazon is pretty terrifying at this point...
Pixelation~
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
ProjectPixelation wrote: It was delivered by Purolator - "Package singed by OSNR"

That's not a job... that's a choice. Hence I stand this statement "Treating people like crap isn't a job, it's a choice." - NIck (CSI Las Vegas).

I think Prime Day is different for pirates in the sense they can just drive through entire neighbourhoods and find packages by the tons in front doors - I saw a number of LARGE boxes by the front door around my area on my way home...
In retrospect... Amazon is pretty terrifying at this point...
To clarify I wasn't suggesting it was a legal job but some people make a living stealing packages from front doors.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4920 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
There are lots of options out there. If you know you won’t be home, why have items, particularly expensive ones, delivered there?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
49009 posts
10302 upvotes
Richmond Hill
starchoice wrote: There are lots of options out there. If you know you won’t be home, why have items, particularly expensive ones, delivered there?
I don't think most people have a choice... unless the choice is to not use e-Commerce.
Tons of things for sale!
Silver Coins and Numismatics | Heatware
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm up to 62 orders so far this year on Amazon, and I'm pretty sure NONE of them have required a signature. Typically, the Amazon delivery drivers are back in their car by the time I can get to the door, assuming they ring the doorbell at all. Yesterday, one of the deliveries was through Canada Post, and even with that (and me catching him dropping it off around the back of the house for safety), all he did was scan the bar-code on the package.

C
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
Amazon requires a signature for packages worth over $1299.99, or if somehow they’re suspicious of your account for amounts less than that because your account doesn’t have much history yet. The latter happened to me once.

Apple shipped me 2 iPhones worth $3000+ without a signature requirement, and UPS left it in front of the apartment door. The UPS driver’s decision is fine since they know the apartment is secure, but Apple is reckless.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1232 posts
693 upvotes
hvwozq wrote: Amazon requires a signature for packages worth over $1299.99, or if somehow they’re suspicious of your account for amounts less than that because your account doesn’t have much history yet. The latter happened to me once.

Apple shipped me 2 iPhones worth $3000+ without a signature requirement, and UPS left it in front of the apartment door. The UPS driver’s decision is fine since they know the apartment is secure, but Apple is reckless.
Apple doesn't mind because it costs them $100 to manufacture. Face With Tears Of Joy
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1191 upvotes
starchoice wrote: There are lots of options out there. If you know you won’t be home, why have items, particularly expensive ones, delivered there?
I agree with you . There is a service in Georgetown my-del.ca . Hope it comes to Mississauga .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
pfbmgd wrote: I agree with you . There is a service in Georgetown my-del.ca . Hope it comes to Mississauga .
Amazon themselves also offers "Amazon Pickup Location's" during check out.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Sep 30, 2001
30160 posts
10147 upvotes
Toronto
^I use a Canada Post outlet as my Amazon (and most other online stores) pickup point. safer than leaving parcels at the door unattended.
Be kind and civil with one another
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
4685 posts
830 upvotes
Waterloo
Jon Lai wrote: I don't think most people have a choice... unless the choice is to not use e-Commerce.
this
TomRFD wrote: Amazon themselves also offers "Amazon Pickup Location's" during check out.
Personally I think the issue of porch pirates is a small issue restricted to some areas only. If you have the issue , and dont want to pickup from other locations , I'd suggest have a designated area for package drop off and make sure that its not visible from the street to a passerby. ( like put a planter and have the drop off area marked behind it ).
----
Pay it forward.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2017
5308 posts
3779 upvotes
Vancouver
I picked up all my prime orders yesterday instead of having them delivered just 'cause i knew no one would be home.

I have had odd people come to my house before (caught on camera) that i think might be porch pirates (since they never knocked or used the doorbell) but then again no proof and no idea why they would walk pass the gate and not knock. One reason i added a bike lock to my deck upstairs and added more security cameras.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I always get my prime packages delivered to my door and there has never been a requirement for signature. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before one gets jacked, but honestly that's on me. Amazon has safe drop off locations so if I really cared I'd just use one of those.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)