None
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
881 posts
541 upvotes
GTA

Prime rib for early brunch

Hi,

I am organizing the Father's Day brunch and I offered up a prime rib roast. Brunch is 1030 and I love cooking it very low and slowly over 3-5 hours depending on size.

I don't mind waking up at 5 to start the roast but has anyone ever pre cooked a prime rib roast the night before and the reheated in the oven?

I would prefer not but curious if anyone has with success.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7558 posts
380 upvotes
Canada
This method has never failed me, and it is mostly passive which is why I like it.
If you cook it the night before, you would have to sous-vide it to keep it at a good texture:
He died for me, I live for him
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
717 upvotes
method x is unmatched, unless you're very anal and say there are shades of grey in the meat using this process.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
*hugs Alto Shaam*
Although you could do it Sous Vide if you have one.

Personally I wouldn't cook and reheat since it'll take quite a bit of time to come up to temp slowly.
Plus for me I can taste when it's been reheated. It's not the same as fresh.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
6978 posts
1732 upvotes
shannn wrote: This method has never failed me, and it is mostly passive which is why I like it.
Never failed me either, and I've been cooking roast beef like this for years. If I'm roasting a top sirloin, strip loin or tenderloin I find it works better to wrap these leaner cuts in strips of bacon.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
717 upvotes
I just nuke it in the microwave as now the fat runs off and the taste actually intensifies when it starts to caramelize. It is like eating a different cut of meat but with a stronger flavor. Most don't have a sous vide so that method of reheating isn't suitable for most.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2008
881 posts
541 upvotes
GTA
It would be nice if I had the sous vide but unfortunately not. It looks like I'll be doing the early morning idea.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
717 upvotes
bostonontario wrote: It would be nice if I had the sous vide but unfortunately not. It looks like I'll be doing the early morning idea.
You clearly don't want to make a prime rib - it's not foreveryone. That sous vide is for rewarming.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
bostonontario wrote: It would be nice if I had the sous vide but unfortunately not. It looks like I'll be doing the early morning idea.
Depends on how low your oven can get you might be able to oven it the night before.
Either way I don't think you'll be sleeping much.