• Aug 8th, 2021 2:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4270 posts
6791 upvotes
Toronto

Watch the CBC Tokyo Olympics on Amazon Prime Video at no extra charge

Watch the Tokyo Olympics from CBC within Prime Video, live and on demand.

Noticed this show up on my prime video, coverage starts July 23rd.

Toronto Star confirms it,
https://www.thestar.com/sports/2021/07/ ... video.html

Enjoy,

123 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7095 posts
4600 upvotes
I was trying to watch a couple minutes of the CAN/JPN game on the CBC Olympics app, and it wouldn't load properly. Thx for the alternative.
Sep 5, 2011
111 posts
288 upvotes
Toronto
All events will be available to stream for free directly through the CBC Gem and CBC Olympics apps, as outlined here: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/cbc- ... -1.6108316

So this is good news if you're mostly using the Prime app anyway (or if you have issues with the CBC apps as I now see Madchester did), but it wouldn't be worth subscribing to Prime just for this.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 17, 2011
5210 posts
2587 upvotes
Do they do VODs too? Because of time difference, we're bound to miss some stuff.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4270 posts
6791 upvotes
Toronto
trinxified wrote: Do they do VODs too? Because of time difference, we're bound to miss some stuff.
the toronto star article mentioned on demand being available too and I do see an on demand section on prime as well for it so ya I think you should be good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
8256 posts
599 upvotes
Damn i was about to cancel Prime
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
2362 posts
2062 upvotes
Oakville
You're on a roll today OP
Mar 6, 2017
15 posts
13 upvotes
If you have a roku then you can get the cbc channel and watch the live feeds from the various local channels.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1529 posts
651 upvotes
London
Boycotting it for their shitty treatment of African Americans and the deaf and blind athlete.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4270 posts
6791 upvotes
Toronto
SonicSam wrote: Anybody know if it'll be in 4K?
I tried playing the highlights that are currently there and couldn't find a settings to show if its 4k, not sure. My guess is 1080p.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1831 posts
1245 upvotes
Southern Ontario
OhHiThere wrote: All events will be available to stream for free directly through the CBC Gem and CBC Olympics apps, as outlined here: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/cbc- ... -1.6108316

So this is good news if you're mostly using the Prime app anyway (or if you have issues with the CBC apps as I now see Madchester did), but it wouldn't be worth subscribing to Prime just for this.
Is their app quality still much poorer than OTA or Cable/Satellite? I was watching a stanley cup game on CBC Gem on my firestick and the quality was terrible. My 720P OTA CBC feed (uncompressed) blew it away.

Some are getting 4K in the US on certain cable channels, for the Olympics. Doubt that is happening here. I'm sure there will be almost no combat sports coverage, like usual.

+13 Hours pretty well kills it for me anyway. No biggie.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7208 posts
7868 upvotes
Toronto
Gibsons wrote: I'm sure there will be almost no combat sports coverage, like usual.
They are available on the streaming schedule
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summ ... g-schedule

Are you covering all the event competitions?
CBC, along with its broadcast partners TSN and Sportsnet, will offer more than 1,275 hours of broadcast coverage, with an additional 2,500 hours of live sport across CBC Gem, cbc.ca/tokyo2020 and the CBC Olympics app. As is the case with other official broadcasters around the world, CBC’s team on the ground relies on help from the host broadcaster to provide our audiences with access to more events than we have equipment and staff to cover. But even the host broadcaster does not have the capacity to broadcast every moment from every Olympic event. Consequently, not every Tokyo 2020 competition moment will be available.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2296 posts
2374 upvotes
SonicSam wrote: Anybody know if it'll be in 4K?
All material will be sourced in Japan in 4K (most events) and in 8K (only some popular events, such as the opening and closing ceremonies, and selected sessions of athletics, badminton, football, judo, swimming, table tennis and volleyball).
But international broadcasters will likely stream in lower resolutions.
https://informitv.com/2021/07/18/olympi ... nd-8k-uhd/
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
9854 posts
6679 upvotes
Toronto
Their app also has live feeds, i was able to cast to my shield TV. Good to have alternatives though.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
3933 posts
1342 upvotes
Ontario
Madchester wrote: I was trying to watch a couple minutes of the CAN/JPN game on the CBC Olympics app, and it wouldn't load properly. Thx for the alternative.
Have the Olympics already started?
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay
Bank: Alterna (0.9%, no fees)
Broker: IB (Foreign stocks/low comm/low margin rates)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2005
7095 posts
4600 upvotes
minimalist wrote: Have the Olympics already started?
There's softball and soccer group stage games before the opening ceremony.
Sep 14, 2012
955 posts
1173 upvotes
Toronto
minimalist wrote: Have the Olympics already started?
Watched them yesterday and today. While opening ceremonies have not yet occurred, some sports are already being played (like softball, soccer) due to the number of games required.
Last edited by ichibansan on Jul 23rd, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.