• Jan 7th, 2018 11:49 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 17, 2006
253 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver

[Primecables.ca] 3 In 1 Stud Finder Scanner - $6.99

I was looking to buy a cable at Primecables and wanted to use the free shipping coupon code but it required a minimum of $10.
When I was looking for a filler item I found this stud finder on sale for 50% off.
Reviews seems pretty good, just beware that it doesn't come with a battery.

Free shipping code "FreeShipping10" but you need to sign up with them in order to use the coupon code.

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS
-Metal scan mode locates metal pipes or rebar
-Automatic calibration on power
-Easily find the edges and center
-4 LED light indicates sensitivity
-Audible indication (beep) when target is detected
-Easy to operate and carry

11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1662 upvotes
Hmm. Even looking for a stud finder. Wonder if this is any good
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Aug 22, 2007
729 posts
551 upvotes
aquariaguy wrote: Hmm. Even looking for a stud finder. Wonder if this is any good
Bought this a while ago to hang a tv mount bought from the same place. It's ok. Not great but gets the job done. For the price you can't go wrong. Assuming u need one.

I would get the one from Costco if you're using it on a regular basis. But for one off jobs this is good enough.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2117 posts
2445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
joquio wrote: I was looking to buy a cable at Primecables and wanted to use the free shipping coupon code but it required a minimum of $10.
When I was looking for a filler item I found this stud finder on sale for 50% off.
But what is going to be a filler item for this filler item? awww Disappointed Face
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
3960 posts
2717 upvotes
Ontario
If you ladies need to make sure your stud finder is working just use it on me ;)
---
Apr 3, 2010
473 posts
499 upvotes
h41t3r wrote: Bought this a while ago to hang a tv mount bought from the same place. It's ok. Not great but gets the job done. For the price you can't go wrong. Assuming u need one.

I would get the one from Costco if you're using it on a regular basis. But for one off jobs this is good enough.
Didn't know Costco had stud finders. I'd buy one if price is good. Any link, or in-store only?
Aug 22, 2007
729 posts
551 upvotes
Hotdiggety wrote: Didn't know Costco had stud finders. I'd buy one if price is good. Any link, or in-store only?
I think it's in store only and hit or miss. I couldn't find it when I was actually looking for one, but saw a bunch at the Ajax location a few weeks ago.

Previous discussion:

costco-world-best-stud-finder-29-97-2075467/
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1149 posts
642 upvotes
I bought this finder at last promo. Works pretty well, no battery inside the box. Have to buy a new battery separately.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
2026 posts
686 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought one before as well.

It's not as sexy as the photo but it works. It's not fancy but it did the job.
L.I.F.E. - Let It Flow Effortlessly - R. McDougal/ Isle of View
Enjoy your candle of life. May it warm you & light your way.
Jun 3, 2007
525 posts
406 upvotes
Toronto
Costco has a different electronic stud finder currently. It's the Vaughan Electronic Wall Sensor, and it's about $35 iirc. Seems pretty alright, has an LCD screen that shows depth, proximity to stud or metal studs, senses electrical currents etc.

Here's what it looks like. Anyone have any input re this unit?
Apr 9, 2012
461 posts
374 upvotes
Costco has a different electronic stud finder currently. It's the Vaughan Electronic Wall Sensor, and it's about $35 iirc. Seems pretty alright, has an LCD screen that shows depth, proximity to stud or metal studs, senses electrical currents etc.

The Costco that I went to had one on a demo display with a wood stud, a metal stud & electrical wire. I tested it there for 10+ minutes & despite reading the instructions there, I could not decide if this finder was useful or not. Most times it failed to find the stud. Many times it did not indicate a stud until the finder was past it. It was very inaccurate in finding the true edges of the studs or the electric wire. It could not find the center of the stud as it is supposed to, neither wood nor metal. I simply could not figure out whether it was a problem with the demo unit, the demo board itself or that it was just not accurate. I tried using it at different speeds, over wood only, metal only, resetting it numerous times, even taking the battery out to reset it. It just did not work as per the instruction manual & gave me shivers with the thought of drilling holes in drywall & being constantly off the stud. Bottom line was that I simply could not trust it based on my in store trial. It was so incredibly inaccurate or the instructions were, or it was all user error, as I did not get a single reading that I felt confident with, "Hey it worked."

I guess that I should have bought it to test at home but I decided to search for online reviews first to avoid the return hassles, but I found no reviews online. As well, I can only get to Costco every 4-8 weeks as it's too far away to go back & try one since I found nothing in terms of reviews online. And finding no reviews about it online also gives me pause.

Hopefully someone else tried the demo unit & had better results, as my test results were so poor. It was a frustrating unit & beyond belief that if so inaccurate that it would be manufactured & that Costco would even carry it. It was not worth $35.99 IMO. And so why have an in store demo display with an "easy to use" device, that simply would not work as it was supposed to?

Further adds to my increasing experience that Costco is carrying more garbage items, garbage food, ever increasing number of snake oil health products & at ever increasing costs, including the membership. But that is another topic.
Dec 12, 2009
418 posts
219 upvotes
Mtnviewer wrote: The Costco that I went to had one on a demo display with a wood stud, a metal stud & electrical wire. I tested it there for 10+ minutes & despite reading the instructions there, I could not decide if this finder was useful or not. Most times it failed to find the stud. Many times it did not indicate a stud until the finder was past it. It was very inaccurate in finding the true edges of the studs or the electric wire. It could not find the center of the stud as it is supposed to, neither wood nor metal. I simply could not figure out whether it was a problem with the demo unit, the demo board itself or that it was just not accurate. I tried using it at different speeds, over wood only, metal only, resetting it numerous times, even taking the battery out to reset it. It just did not work as per the instruction manual & gave me shivers with the thought of drilling holes in drywall & being constantly off the stud. Bottom line was that I simply could not trust it based on my in store trial. It was so incredibly inaccurate or the instructions were, or it was all user error, as I did not get a single reading that I felt confident with, "Hey it worked."

I guess that I should have bought it to test at home but I decided to search for online reviews first to avoid the return hassles, but I found no reviews online. As well, I can only get to Costco every 4-8 weeks as it's too far away to go back & try one since I found nothing in terms of reviews online. And finding no reviews about it online also gives me pause.

Hopefully someone else tried the demo unit & had better results, as my test results were so poor. It was a frustrating unit & beyond belief that if so inaccurate that it would be manufactured & that Costco would even carry it. It was not worth $35.99 IMO. And so why have an in store demo display with an "easy to use" device, that simply would not work as it was supposed to?

Further adds to my increasing experience that Costco is carrying more garbage items, garbage food, ever increasing number of snake oil health products & at ever increasing costs, including the membership. But that is another topic.
Got this at costco on clearance for 24.97. I also tried it in store and couldn't get it to work properly. I thought it was just me not reading the manual. I haven't opened it and saw your review and now I'm returning this unopened.