Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] 4-Port Smart Charging 34W 6.8A USB Wall Charger - $7.99 Free Shipping

Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4719 posts
1547 upvotes
Kingston
truckmania wrote: It looks like it was made for power bars and will only take up one outlet, not four, because of the way the plug is.
It would take up one space if placed on the very end outlet, otherwise it would take up 3 or 4.
I know some power bars have the outlets pointing outward, but most ive seen are not.
Oct 20, 2013
997 posts
338 upvotes
Chambly, QC
Bought one too.
I never have enough of these.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6250 posts
2096 upvotes
tonershop wrote: No fire, just a minor explosion and the acid smell from the battery was overwhelming, so I quickly unplugged, bagged it and trashed the phone in the outdoor trash bin. I didn't have a chance to take a photo, but it was something like this

Can't believe people are still buying after seeing this.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2012
1080 posts
848 upvotes
Everywhere
vivibaby wrote: Can't believe people are still buying after seeing this.
not calling them a liar, but that's one story. and it was an older phone too.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2002
2231 posts
510 upvotes
Halton
ExtraHoardernaire wrote: not calling them a liar, but that's one story. and it was an older phone too.
And most likely it was issue with that phone.
Nov 9, 2011
951 posts
930 upvotes
Toronto
Fire wrote: And most likely it was issue with that phone.
Not sure how it was the issue with my phone? It was working fine for years using the stock charger. 30 minutes after using this PrimeCables charger - it exploded.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of a "good deal", I am just sharing my experience.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3657 posts
2203 upvotes
Vancouver
vivibaby wrote: Can't believe people are still buying after seeing this.
Isolated case so people are willing to try their luck.

Personally there are devices I will charge with anything and then devices I only charge with Anker Charge or banks (and rav).

Something like this is still useful for charging things like Sony DS4, powerbanks, etc. Also good enough as a power source for some things (tho only the 2.4 ports).
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6250 posts
2096 upvotes
Paigne wrote: Isolated case so people are willing to try their luck.

Personally there are devices I will charge with anything and then devices I only charge with Anker Charge or banks (and rav).

Something like this is still useful for charging things like Sony DS4, powerbanks, etc. Also good enough as a power source for some things (tho only the 2.4 ports).
I don't get people paying thousands of dollars on a cellphone only to cheap out on a charger. What's another $10? It's probably built with better components and will last longer.
Nov 29, 2003
497 posts
27 upvotes
tonershop wrote: Not sure how it was the issue with my phone? It was working fine for years using the stock charger. 30 minutes after using this PrimeCables charger - it exploded.

I am not trying to talk anyone out of a "good deal", I am just sharing my experience.
I had an issue with this charger as well. After using it for several months, one day my bedroom started to smell like burning plastic (it was a very strong smell), so I proceeded to unplug the charger from the wall. I had an iPhone 5s and iPhone 7 plugged into it at the time, it did not damage either device. I let Primecables.ca know and they sent me a new one (that I have not used yet).
"The pain of discipline is far less than the pain of regret."
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3657 posts
2203 upvotes
Vancouver
vivibaby wrote: I don't get people paying thousands of dollars on a cellphone only to cheap out on a charger. What's another $10? It's probably built with better components and will last longer.
Like I said there are other things where it doesn’t matter too much (like a DS4 that cost like $50 or a switch pro controller) or a rasp pi which also needs a USB power source.

I do agree that for an iPad or iPhone I wouldn’t advice on a non well known brand charger. Reason I stick with Anker for the most part due to their reputation and the fact I haven’t had any issue for years.
[OP]
May 8, 2001
670 posts
789 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: I don't get people paying thousands of dollars on a cellphone only to cheap out on a charger. What's another $10? It's probably built with better components and will last longer.
That is a valid argument, but at the same time some OEM chargers are made by other companies and then rebranded. Who knows who makes these. They are ETL listed so someone could research it and find out who manufactures them, mass produced, and rebranded. I remember back in the day many OEM AC adapters were made by Delta, I.T.E Power Supply, and Liteon but were Dell/HP/Acer or name brand rebranded.
Discounted e-Gift Cards: WaySpa
Oct 5, 2008
243 posts
74 upvotes
Yeah, I plan using it with my AAA battery charger, toothbrush, a mifi, cheap ebook reader... all my expensive devices are USB C by now. None of the USB A devices need more than the standard 500 mA.

Edit: didn't risk it at the end, cancelled my order.
Last edited by chx1975 on May 28th, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 10, 2002
99 posts
92 upvotes
tonershop wrote: No fire, just a minor explosion and the acid smell from the battery was overwhelming, so I quickly unplugged, bagged it and trashed the phone in the outdoor trash bin. I didn't have a chance to take a photo, but it was something like this

Why did you not put a review on their website WARNING potential buyers?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
8995 posts
7316 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
tonershop wrote: I do not recommend using this charger with older phone like Google Nexus 5 - heck I don't recommend it at all. My Nexus 5 phone battery exploded using this charger (using the 1.0 amp port).
S... wrote: I had an issue with this charger as well. After using it for several months, one day my bedroom started to smell like burning plastic (it was a very strong smell), so I proceeded to unplug the charger from the wall. I had an iPhone 5s and iPhone 7 plugged into it at the time, it did not damage either device. I let Primecables.ca know and they sent me a new one (that I have not used yet).
Thanks for the feedback. I cancelled my order.