Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] primecables.ca Zigbee Door/Window and Motion Sensors on Clearance $7.99/each

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2019 10:08 am
Aug 22, 2007
636 posts
454 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 9:40 am
SmartThings hub is $99 at Lowes for me too. I tried switching to a Toronto store. Are you accessing their page differently, or maybe looking at an outdated page?
Nope. I placed my order last night from my home computer and today I'm at work looking at it from a different computer. Note my order is for pickup in Whitby (see screenshot), but the other screenshot (from work) is for the Etobicoke store which also shows the same price.

smartthings.png
myorder.png

Even setting my home store to Vancouver - Grandview shows the same price for me. I think Lowe's may have changed how their website works so that it only shows you the price in your specific region (based on IP address). I can confirm that when I use a VPN connection based out of Vancouver that the price does indeed show up as $99.99.

If you have a VPN connection handy, perhaps you can use a Toronto IP to get the discounted price.
Jan 21, 2018
632 posts
501 upvotes
Vancouver
h41t3r wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:10 am
Nope. I placed my order last night from my home computer and today I'm at work looking at it from a different computer. Note my order is for pickup in Whitby (see screenshot), but the other screenshot (from work) is for the Etobicoke store which also shows the same price.
That's it all right. I connected via VPN to a Toronto server, and the $79 price magically appears. The scumbags at Lowes are using IP location to segment prices by region.

I did notice that the Lowes home page has a banner at the top that says "Welcome BC customers! You’re the first to try the new lowes.ca. We'd love to hear your feedback. | Not in BC? Click here", and it won't go away even if I change my home store to a Toronto store. Clicking the "here" apparently does nothing. Clearing all browser cookies for Lowes does nothing. Maybe "the new lowes.ca" doesn't have promo discounts? I sent them some feedback, and I'll post this in the Shopping forum.
Jul 13, 2007
225 posts
56 upvotes
Calgary
Scote64 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 9:40 am
SmartThings hub is $99 at Lowes for me too. I tried switching to a Toronto store. Are you accessing their page differently, or maybe looking at an outdated page?
I'm in Calgary. So if I try any store it shows 99. If I VPN to Toronto, get 79. Also, using safari vs chrome also seemed to help. Was able to use the coupon code for 10 off. If you can't get 79 at Lowes, best buy has the same price but no coupon.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28367 posts
14165 upvotes
Ottawa
Tapout123 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 10:49 am
Can you provide a link to that kit? I can't find anything anywhere on their site that offers that kit at all let alone for that price. Their starter kit is currently $199 and includes 1 door/window sensor, 1 remote, 1 motion sensor and the base unit, nowhere near the deal you're claiming you got.
Below is the 10pc kit that I bought.

https://shop.ring.com/products/alarm-se ... 0742738009
Jun 3, 2007
414 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Home automation noob here, so go easy. Most likely going to try out a bunch of these door sensors and motion detectors, but wanted to know if the Livingwise hub would work w/ an RPi3 (running hass.io) rather than a usb zigbee antenna like some are talking about. Privacy is a big deal to me, and I'd rather not Samsung have access ti all my info for no good reason. I'm also well versed w/ Linux, so yaml/text configs are no big deal. The only issue is external communication (ie cloud based) - none of this is useful if I can't access it externally for notifications.
Last edited by Yzord on Jun 25th, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28367 posts
14165 upvotes
Ottawa
adilh53 wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:12 pm
The ring alarm 10 pc kit also got as low as $199 US all in until they killed that $60 discount
If you are referring to the Blue Iris code "loophole", yes, that brought the price down to $199.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18786 posts
2137 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yzord wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:14 pm
Home automation noob here, so go easy. Most likely going to try out a bunch of these door sensors and motion detectors, but wanted to know if the Zigbee hub would work w/ a RPi3 rather than a usb zigbee antenna like some are talking about. Privacy is a big deal to me, and I'd rather not Samsung have access ti all my info for no good reason. I'm also well versed w/ Linux, so yaml/text configs are no big deal. The only issue is external communication (ie cloud based) - none of this is useful if I can't access it externally for notifications.
Yes a Zigbee hub should work with the Pi. If you use something like Home Assistant you can setup notifications without cloud services as well as external site to get to your home automation stuff.
Jun 3, 2007
414 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:30 pm
Yes a Zigbee hub should work with the Pi. If you use something like Home Assistant you can setup notifications without cloud services as well as external site to get to your home automation stuff.
Thanks, I meant to refer to Home Assistant in my post - so I'm glad you brought it up. Only issue is getting it all working together!
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18786 posts
2137 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Yzord wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 12:42 pm
Thanks, I meant to refer to Home Assistant in my post - so I'm glad you brought it up. Only issue is getting it all working together!
Sorry, actually before we get to far, when you say "the zigbee hub" do you mean the livingwise one or another one? I was speaking in general terms that zigbee hubs would work with HA and Pi, however I'm not positive about the Livingwise one. From what I've read, it doesn't sound super reliable.
Jun 2, 2017
78 posts
67 upvotes
Markham
AsianXL wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 11:09 am
I just added up the cost of going with the konnected device and the Samsung smart things hub. It will cost me about $300cad that I will need only for a month.

Hmm... Seems like upgrading my existing wired alarm system cost as much/more than replacing with an entirely new system.
You can buy a few wyzecams v2 and set them up all over the house. Then you can set up motion notifications and you can use it in conjunction of your wired alarm. Issue is if there is any false alarm you need someone with keys and alarm code to disarm your system.
Jun 3, 2007
414 posts
283 upvotes
Toronto
Evil Baby wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 1:01 pm
Sorry, actually before we get to far, when you say "the zigbee hub" do you mean the livingwise one or another one? I was speaking in general terms that zigbee hubs would work with HA and Pi, however I'm not positive about the Livingwise one. From what I've read, it doesn't sound super reliable.
Actually, yes I meant the Livingwise hub - ugh, should have been clearer in my original post. I'm having a lot of trouble finding info on this hub actually, so I was hoping others had tested w/ Home Assistant...
Jan 17, 2017
76 posts
16 upvotes
Thanks OP. Bought a few of these to try out with my SmartThings hub.
Jun 12, 2010
632 posts
138 upvotes
Vancouver
A bit o/t but does anyone know if PC is having a Canada Day sale this year?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
1717 posts
682 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
gavinjai wrote:
Jun 25th, 2019 1:06 pm
You can buy a few wyzecams v2 and set them up all over the house. Then you can set up motion notifications and you can use it in conjunction of your wired alarm. Issue is if there is any false alarm you need someone with keys and alarm code to disarm your system.
How would the Wyzecams V2 work in conjunction with a wired alarm system? I thought they operate independently from one another?