Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] primecables.ca Zigbee Door/Window and Motion Sensors on Clearance $7.99/each

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 24th, 2019 10:08 am
Aug 10, 2013
315 posts
163 upvotes
Mississauga
Lush78 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 4:16 pm
You would only need one hub.
Thanks!
How does WYZE sense motion sensor compare to Zigbee motion sensor?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3466 posts
2933 upvotes
fayya wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 12:33 pm
I use an outdoor sensor and wire it with my regular outdoor light, its easy to setup and works pretty well. You can find cheaper ones on eBay, I just randomly pull the first one found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/180-LED-Outdoo ... 3295101057
That can work.

In my case I'm controlling more then one light fixture. There's the 'stock' fixture, and there are some fixtures on the deck I added on a different circuit.

Using a 'smart home' way of doing things made things easier to implement.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3466 posts
2933 upvotes
Oatmeal wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 3:29 pm
Is the ZigBee hub good, if starting out? Seems like a decent price at $10 clearance price.
It's decent, but then you're locked into using their products, plus their app isn't stellar.

That said, for $10, it's a quick and easy way to get into some automation, see if the concepts are something you might want to expand on.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3466 posts
2933 upvotes
kchkwan wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 3:32 pm
Thanks op. Sadly the shipping is a deal killer for me. Definitely wanted to pick up some door sensors.
Really? Shipping was $6 if I didn't go above $49 (which I did). Are they quoting you a higher price?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1342 posts
1242 upvotes
Alberta
bonegraft wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 4:24 pm
Thanks!
Not sure. I only use Smartthings and Hue motion sensors
Dec 12, 2012
33 posts
15 upvotes
Pointe-Claire
Amazing deal, thanks so much OP! Looking forward to connecting them with Home Assistant
Jan 24, 2011
22 posts
Somewhere
Will these sensors work with the Philips Hue bridge? Don't currently have any hubs, aside from the bridge that comes with Philips Hue.
Nov 8, 2012
212 posts
247 upvotes
TORONTO
bonegraft wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 4:24 pm
Thanks!
Zigbee devices need a hub while Wyze ones are wifi and can only be used within their app and for their cameras. Zigbee when paired with a hub like smartthings provides lots of options. Such as Alexa, Google home announcements, routines based on activity etc.
Sep 16, 2013
710 posts
351 upvotes
SW ON
They have a coupon $15 off $115+: PC15. Expires 10:00 AM June 25 EST.
Jan 21, 2018
650 posts
522 upvotes
Vancouver
dealsmeals wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 5:48 pm
Will these sensors work with the Philips Hue bridge? Don't currently have any hubs, aside from the bridge that comes with Philips Hue.
In theory Zigbee devices fitting into standard classes like on/off sensors, switches and bulbs should work with any Zigbee hub. In practice people report many problems and incompatibilities. For example it may be almost impossible to get the device to register to the hub, devices may constantly fall out of contact with the hub, and special capabilities may be limited to a particular hub. These problems are more common with Zigbee than with Zwave because Zigbee is an open protocol implemented by each manufacturer, while Zwave is a proprietary licenced protocol supported by licenced chips from a few sources,.
Aug 10, 2013
315 posts
163 upvotes
Mississauga
maniac2403 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 6:44 pm
Zigbee devices need a hub while Wyze ones are wifi and can only be used within their app and for their cameras. Zigbee when paired with a hub like smartthings provides lots of options. Such as Alexa, Google home announcements, routines based on activity etc.
What is the difference between smartthings & Livingwise hub? What will be lacking if I buy the Livingwise hub? I want to do such as Alexa, Google home announcements, routines based on activity etc.
Jan 4, 2014
100 posts
41 upvotes
Paris
kchkwan wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 3:32 pm
Thanks op. Sadly the shipping is a deal killer for me. Definitely wanted to pick up some door sensors.
Really?
Shipping is only $5.95 if below $49, otherwise it's free shipping. The items are already discounted by more than $6 each plus you need to use a hub (unless you already have one)...
Thanks OP (Why can't I upvote)
Jan 21, 2018
650 posts
522 upvotes
Vancouver
bonegraft wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 7:19 pm
What is the difference between smartthings & Livingwise hub? What will be lacking if I buy the Livingwise hub? I want to do such as Alexa, Google home announcements, routines based on activity etc.
Very different products. The Samsung Smartthings hub supports both Zigbee and Zwave protocols, WiFi or ethernet connection to a router, and has extensive local smart home programming capabilities. The Primecables hub is just a Zigbee interface that connects to your router via ethernet only.

However you don't need to base your automation in the hub - it can be just an interface. You can use online services like Google Home and Alexa and many others, or other local programming solutions like Home Assistant.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3466 posts
2933 upvotes
Scote64 wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2019 7:19 pm
In theory Zigbee devices fitting into standard classes like on/off sensors, switches and bulbs should work with any Zigbee hub. In practice people report many problems and incompatibilities. For example it may be almost impossible to get the device to register to the hub, devices may constantly fall out of contact with the hub, and special capabilities may be limited to a particular hub. These problems are more common with Zigbee than with Zwave because Zigbee is an open protocol implemented by each manufacturer, while Zwave is a proprietary licenced protocol supported by licenced chips from a few sources,.
Technically true.

In practice? Choosing a ZWave device is no more guaranteed to work then a Zigbee device. If your hub doesn't have the handler it doesn't matter if it can technically connect.

Learned that the hard way with the Wink hub once...