Jul 2, 2008
4501 posts
1372 upvotes
Great for just launching TiVimate I guess
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2005
3229 posts
824 upvotes
It will cost you $8 shipping. Still, $18 for this box is a good deal IMO.
Jul 19, 2014
191 posts
118 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
...comes bundled with a cheap, non-UL listed power supply whitch is not supposed to be allowed.
The review from 2018 is a bit worrisome, though it's possible they fixed it. The adapter in the listing photos has the UL logo on it.
Dec 27, 2007
723 posts
485 upvotes
Too many TV box laying around, otherwise, this is a great deal.
Feb 12, 2012
392 posts
416 upvotes
Wifi is horrendous. Video output looks significantly worse than my fire tv. Terrible IR remote. Not worth messing around with when there are inexpensive options from Amazon and Google that work infinitely better.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10525 posts
2883 upvotes
Winnipeg
I see an update to 9.3 to 9.4 for aidans with wdv level 1? Is it now 720p capable for netflix?

bistream audio in coreelec@4k30hz with pihole as a service hard to top at the price.
Feb 12, 2006
339 posts
290 upvotes
Good price as a toy. Reminds me of all those threads for "movie projectors".

Just keep your expectation in check for a purple tenner, and you'll be fine. Personally, it's nice for guest room/family that's non tech once you have it setup w/ sources etc, it's harder to sail the seas with walled garden products like Roku.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2015
1649 posts
1102 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Totoriko wrote: Great for just launching TiVimate I guess
Not much use for these boxes in 2021 that a modern stick wouldn't obliterate (streaming video, apps, etc). But maybe someone wants to tinker with something and not pay a lot.

I personally took out my old Android box and was messing around with it, not much to do on it or get much streaming going. Android is too old and it's not worth the time. These are cheap for a reason. When Kodi was the name of the game, these were popular. Now that Kodi is a shell of it's former self, not so much.

A new Roku streamer is coming out this week, might be worth a look. Firestick is awesome, lots of sideloading goodness.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10525 posts
2883 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gibsons wrote: Not much use for these boxes in 2021 that a modern stick wouldn't obliterate (streaming video, apps, etc). But maybe someone wants to tinker with something and not pay a lot.

I personally took out my old Android box and was messing around with it, not much to do on it or get much streaming going. Android is too old and it's not worth the time. These are cheap for a reason.

A new Roku streamer is coming out this week, might be worth a look. Firestick is awesome, lots of sideloading goodness.
your missing the niche. It can do what neither the firestick and roku can do. It can run linux coreelec for local playback and truehd audio bistreaming with docker support. So for local playback its a little better in some aspects. Kinda a cheap tandem device to use in another hdmi input. cheaper than a zero for pihole.

That said if you have to run android on noname boxes etc. Unlike other no name boxes this is supported by aidan and atv experience so it can run recent security updated firmware with androidtv 9 and working google market etc so its safe to add to your network. So its the only 9.99 device on the market thats not brand that can do that. But why do that?? is always up to the end user to do that for what they want. It basically runs just like a mibox without hd netflix as it uses the mibox firmware.

I use devices like this for jellyfin clients and vlc player for broader codec support cheaper off grid. coreelec with a jellyfin server and embuary skin is impressive for 9.99.

I wouldn't plug it in or anything and add to my network if ran stock asop firmware or any android device that wasn't properly updated.
Last edited by lead on May 15th, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 30, 2019
914 posts
711 upvotes
Brampton
I am using it is as redundant pihole server you can install armbian linux on it
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2528 posts
364 upvotes
Burnaby
agent86 wrote: It will cost you $8 shipping. Still, $18 for this box is a good deal IMO.
any freeship code/coupon?
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10525 posts
2883 upvotes
Winnipeg
tomatoonline wrote: any freeship code/coupon?
figures they added the sale right after they expired the EXTRA10 coupon.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2528 posts
364 upvotes
Burnaby
lead wrote: figures they added the sale right after they expired the EXTRA10 coupon.
the company is too smart. Orz
ASUS RAMPAGE II EXTREME; i7-950; GTX 560; 16G Mem; 2TB HD; 24x DVD-RAM;
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1942 posts
1814 upvotes
I have a 4 year old box thats way worse then this and its been decent enough. for the price its a huge upgrade. 20 bucks including shipping might as well.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10525 posts
2883 upvotes
Winnipeg
tomatoonline wrote: the company is too smart. Orz
maybe use this product as a filler to get to free shipping for something else