Primecables.ca

stylus for iPad -- active, with palm rejection; free shipping $17.27+tax

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3656 posts
1090 upvotes
Toronto

[Primecables.ca] stylus for iPad -- active, with palm rejection; free shipping $17.27+tax

This deal has just started and ends early tomorrow (Thursday).

This is an inexpensive substitute for an Apple Pencil. Roughly a fifth of the price. I'd love to know if this is serviceable.

There are purely passive substitutes that are even cheaper. I'm pretty sure that they are much cruder (less precise).
https://www.shopperplus.ca/p-392719-cab ... b-pc-14078

@bb_00 says: EXTRA 10% OFF ON ALL PRIMECABLES® BRANDED PRODUCTS CODE: EXTRA10
Last edited by Hugh on Sep 8th, 2021 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
30 replies
Sep 14, 2017
76 posts
154 upvotes
Highly suggest removing iPhone from the thread - the product description does not claim compatibility for iPhones!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
3656 posts
1090 upvotes
Toronto
bb_00 wrote: EXTRA 10% OFF ON ALL PRIMECABLES® BRANDED PRODUCTS CODE: EXTRA10
Thanks. I bought without using the coupon. After you pointed this out, I "chatted" with PrimeCables.ca and they quickly applied the coupon, refunding the 10%. That's great service at a little after midnight.
Feb 12, 2006
548 posts
650 upvotes
Not a bad deal, looks like the same one on Aliexpress goes for at least $20+

Picked up one for my mini5 and a second as a gift. Thanks OP!
May 30, 2017
605 posts
204 upvotes
Streetsville, Missis…
EDIT (regarding the second cheaper one)

I have this type of stylus (bought from a Canadian store on eBay), and I currently possess an iPad Pro 2020. I am not an artist. This thing is hard to write with due to that weird flat disc. It feels nice in the hand and the cap is magnetic but I just can't write with the main pen tip. I have to use the back of the pen with the microfibre tip to write. It feels far more comfortable. No idea how you could train yourself to draw with something like that.
Last edited by cellnerd on Sep 9th, 2021 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3381 posts
781 upvotes
I have one that looks identical to this from aliexpress. No way to tell if it's the same white label product, but I used it a few times, forgot about it for a long time and the battery drained. Could not charge it up again when I tried.

Having said that, it worked well.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1895 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
cellnerd wrote: I have this type of stylus (bought from a Canadian store on eBay), and I currently possess an iPad Pro 2020. I am not an artist. This thing is hard to write with due to that weird flat disc. It feels nice in the hand and the cap is magnetic but I just can't write with the main pen tip. I have to use the back of the pen with the microfibre tip to write. It feels far more comfortable. No idea how you could train yourself to draw with something like that.
Doesn't sound like you're talking about the same product as in the OP.
Feb 12, 2006
347 posts
60 upvotes
Laval
generaltao99 wrote: Doesn't sound like you're talking about the same product as in the OP.
No the the same at all. These Stylus work just like the apple pen, without pressure sensor.
They're great for handwriting, my kids use them for school, I bought one for me as well, it's very precise. It's not capacitive, not a fake finger.

They were around 30$ last year on amazon, lots of model names but kinda same pen.

For 19$ it's a great deal, even if it's just for fun.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
2184 posts
2045 upvotes
Toronto
been looking to get an apple pencil - but couldn't justify paying $100ish for it as I don't really have much to do. but $18 could be a good try out, maybe for doodles or taking notes...
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1895 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Finger wrote: No the the same at all. These Stylus work just like the apple pen, without pressure sensor.
They're great for handwriting, my kids use them for school, I bought one for me as well, it's very precise. It's not capacitive, not a fake finger.

They were around 30$ last year on amazon, lots of model names but kinda same pen.

Yup I have the same for my 2018 iPad pro. Great alternative to the official Apple pencil.
Feb 12, 2006
548 posts
650 upvotes
Finger wrote: No the the same at all. These Stylus work just like the apple pen, without pressure sensor.

generaltao99 wrote: Yup I have the same for my 2018 iPad pro. Great alternative to the official Apple pencil.
Can either of you confirm the only feature missing is pressure sensitivity? One of the reasons Apple pencil is nice (not a deal breaker at this price for sure) is that it's somewhat pressure sensitive. Plan was to use for some drawing. I also know the Apple Pencil Gen 2 has tap to erase/switch tool. Does the rear power touch sensitive button do the same? Again, no deal breaker, great price.

Thanks!
Feb 12, 2006
347 posts
60 upvotes
Laval
No pressure sensitivity. Also the rear button turns the power on and off, it doesn't interact with your tablet.
Not very good for drawing, it's great for writing.

Kazushi wrote: Can either of you confirm the only feature missing is pressure sensitivity? One of the reasons Apple pencil is nice (not a deal breaker at this price for sure) is that it's somewhat pressure sensitive. Plan was to use for some drawing. I also know the Apple Pencil Gen 2 has tap to erase/switch tool. Does the rear power touch sensitive button do the same? Again, no deal breaker, great price.

Thanks!
Feb 12, 2006
548 posts
650 upvotes
Finger wrote: No pressure sensitivity. Also the rear button turns the power on and off, it doesn't interact with your tablet.
awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

The other thing is, the compatibility they mentioned is weird. It doesn't line up with what Apple says the Pencil 1 or Pencil 2 is compatible with.

It explicitly says 2018 and up iPad Pro, I have an older 2016 Pro and a Mini 5, was hoping it'd work on my older pro (which says Apple 1 compatibility) if not, it does explicitly say it works with the mini 5.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1895 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Finger wrote: No pressure sensitivity. Also the rear button turns the power on and off, it doesn't interact with your tablet.
Confirming mine does this as well. As for using for drawing, unless you're a pro artist with an established workflow or way of sketching, you can work around it. For example, manually selecting an eraser tool or using gestures to undo in Procreate.
Jun 22, 2009
986 posts
305 upvotes
Kitchener
What about replacement tips? Do they wear out?

generaltao99 wrote: Confirming mine does this as well. As for using for drawing, unless you're a pro artist with an established workflow or way of sketching, you can work around it. For example, manually selecting an eraser tool or using gestures to undo in Procreate.
Слава Україні!
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
1895 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
Zhopa wrote: What about replacement tips? Do they wear out?
I've had mine for a couple years. Haven't had to replace the tip. I think there's a replacement in the box but I bought mine off amazon. At this price you could buy half a dozen before you come close to the price of a genuine Apple pencil though.
Sep 19, 2014
27 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
User381785 wrote: No pressure sensitivity is a deal breaker.
Well it's a $20 product. Apple sells theirs for $140+.
Jun 6, 2017
239 posts
158 upvotes
Kazushi wrote: awesome, thanks for the quick reply.

The other thing is, the compatibility they mentioned is weird. It doesn't line up with what Apple says the Pencil 1 or Pencil 2 is compatible with.

It explicitly says 2018 and up iPad Pro, I have an older 2016 Pro and a Mini 5, was hoping it'd work on my older pro (which says Apple 1 compatibility) if not, it does explicitly say it works with the mini 5.
Don’t have it but 95% of Apple Pencil knockoffs use the same technology introduced in the Logitech crayon in 2018. The iPad needs some special hardware from 2018+ for it to work. So iPad 6th gen, Air 3, Mini 5, and iPad Pro 2018 (and later)

And they all seem to have the same features too. Tilt sensitivity and palm rejection, but no pressure sensitivity or wireless charging.