Expired Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] Thursday Only - Primecables wireless mini smart outlet alexa & google - $9.99

[OP]
Newbie
Oct 10, 2008
51 posts
224 upvotes

[Primecables.ca] Thursday Only - Primecables wireless mini smart outlet alexa & google - $9.99

Picked up 2 last time these were on sale, picking up 2 more this morning....works without a flaw with their TUYA app.
20 replies
Jr. Member
User avatar
Nov 26, 2018
160 posts
1713 upvotes
Mariana's Web
Could’ve been hot during there free shipping days!
Maximum allowed quantity is 4 but the total still won’t get you free shipping

I’ll pass
EBD4ABAF-2905-48C3-9F9E-828D64105DB5.jpeg

Canadianmist wrote: Picked up 2 last time these were on sale, picking up 2 more this morning....works without a flaw with their TUYA app.
Rob Cunz
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
5802 posts
1217 upvotes
Montreal
Costco near me was liquidating a 3 pack of WiFi outlets for $9.97 the last time I was there a week ago. They're also GH and Alexa compatible.

I was looking for the Costco Liquidation thread on RFD because I'm sure it's posted there but I couldn't locate it.
Phils
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
After buying some cheaper smartplugs and smartlights I no longer buy smart devices that aren't compatible with at mimimum Siri/Home AND Google Assistant/Home. (and ideally also, Alexa, and Zigbee) The less compatibility the more it creates vendor lock in which is undesirable because different companies are better at doing different things..

After what I thought of as "saving' money by buying cheaper smart devices, I'm still struggling with a jumble of apps and devices that aren't aware of one another. Its also a merry-go-round of replacing smart devices. . There are workarounds like IFTTT but its time consuming, there can be lag, outages if Internet goes down. It's usually a less than ideal solution unless its some mashup with some other online services (which is the ideal use case for IFTTT). Philips Hue is a good example of how to do things right.. The Hue app updates both Siri and Google home when I add a new device. It's also supports Alexa, Zigbee (which is compatible with many systems) . No dependence on Internet. IFTTT support. Essentially works with everything mainstream. (similarly Wemo is a great one for smartplugs)

IMO when it comes to smart devices its better to spend more to get something widely compatible. The savings in annoyance and time alone makes it worth it,
Last edited by needybot on Feb 7th, 2020 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
Member
Jan 30, 2010
349 posts
303 upvotes
Mississauga
I use my hands to turn lights on, it's pretty neat
Sr. Member
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
367 upvotes
Toronto
pcloadletter wrote: I use my hands to turn lights on, it's pretty neat
Most of the time you use smartlights as a dumb light but when you feel like it you customize lighting according to your mood and purpose. For instance during the holidays I change colour of my porch light to something festive. Some of my lighting settings are markedly more pleasant then normal lighting (e.g. a mix of soft white light and some other color creates an atmosphere). When vacationing or outside of my home I've setup routines to turn lights on and off to make it appear like someone is home. Before bedtime it automatically switches to softer light to make it easier to get to sleep. At late night I've setup up to automatically turn off lights everywhere in the house in case I left one on. I've setup porch light to turn on at night during narrow window between when it gets dark and when I go to sleep). When turning on/off my lights I don't even need to get up. I just say it aloud. I have a motion detector that turns on light for a minute in hallway if I get up at night. And so on. And so on.

No one absolutely needs smart lights just like someone doesn't need to get a nice car to drive from point A to point B. The nice car is usually more pleasant experience though
Last edited by needybot on Feb 6th, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Member
Sep 12, 2011
251 posts
161 upvotes
Ottawa
Phils wrote: Costco near me was liquidating a 3 pack of WiFi outlets for $9.97 the last time I was there a week ago. They're also GH and Alexa compatible.

I was looking for the Costco Liquidation thread on RFD because I'm sure it's posted there but I couldn't locate it.
These ?

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/costco- ... d=1&pid=20
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 10, 2008
51 posts
224 upvotes
Gotcha...In Montreal, shipping was 3$ flat, or there's free pickup option
Sr. Member
Dec 18, 2005
923 posts
1000 upvotes
Montreal
Canadianmist wrote: Gotcha...In Montreal, shipping was 3$ flat, or there's free pickup option
If you live close to a metro station or if you commute to work or anywhere else, the metro dépanneur pickup option is super quick. Often next day delivery this way. Also, no one to steal the package left on your porch. I use it all the time. It's helping me break free of my Amazon addiction. :)
Member
User avatar
Jul 14, 2018
357 posts
402 upvotes
Been a while since we've had a free shipping deal on the Shopper Plus sites. :(
Sr. Member
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
pcloadletter wrote: I use my hands to turn lights on, it's pretty neat
Do you walk up to your TV to change channels? Do you read the news by walking outside and buying newspaper?

If you don't, don't talk.
Member
Jan 30, 2010
349 posts
303 upvotes
Mississauga
orianna wrote: Do you walk up to your TV to change channels? Do you read the news by walking outside and buying newspaper?

If you don't, don't talk.
Actually, yes I do.

My TV is an older LG and the remote is missing. Have to get up to physically switch inputs from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 if I want to use my Firestick. As for the paper, I usually get a paper from McDonald's with my coffee and read it in the break room at work. Once I'm done with it, others get a chance to enjoy it.

Anything else?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1335 posts
674 upvotes
Surrey
pcloadletter wrote: Actually, yes I do.

My TV is an older LG and the remote is missing. Have to get up to physically switch inputs from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 if I want to use my Firestick. As for the paper, I usually get a paper from McDonald's with my coffee and read it in the break room at work. Once I'm done with it, others get a chance to enjoy it.

Anything else?
Nope not good enough. Get rid of any remotes and firestick, switch to TV with antennas and while you are at it, get rid of your cell phone and switch to landline so that lights is not only thing you are getting up for Face With Tears Of Joy get those old joints moving lol
0 tolerance for BS.

If I downvote, chances are it's less about the deal, and more about OP's inability to take criticism and constantly favoring their deal due to their ego.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1044 posts
445 upvotes
GTA
Nicer design than the other one they sell, but it's just 10A and no power monitoring. Costco now has newer CE WIFI smart plugs ($19.99 for 2) that do 15A, power monitoring, and use the same Tuya App (plug can be flashed with a new firmware to no longer be bound by the Tuya app.)
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
1139 posts
2277 upvotes
pcloadletter wrote: Actually, yes I do.

My TV is an older LG and the remote is missing. Have to get up to physically switch inputs from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 if I want to use my Firestick. As for the paper, I usually get a paper from McDonald's with my coffee and read it in the break room at work. Once I'm done with it, others get a chance to enjoy it.

Anything else?
Yeah, well I mill my own flour. Anyone that buys bagged flour is lazy. -- You, basically.
Member
Jan 30, 2010
349 posts
303 upvotes
Mississauga
grayhal wrote: Nope not good enough. Get rid of any remotes and firestick, switch to TV with antennas and while you are at it, get rid of your cell phone and switch to landline so that lights is not only thing you are getting up for Face With Tears Of Joy get those old joints moving lol
Now that you've mentioned it, I just bought an OTA antenna from primecables and plan on installing in the spring. Might have to pick up a logitech harmony or another universal remote.

Landline w/ corded phones only! Face With Tears Of Joy

Top