Hot Deals

[Primecables.ca] ZigBee Smart In-Wall ON/OFF Switch (17.99$)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 23rd, 2019 2:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
2003 posts
495 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux

[Primecables.ca] ZigBee Smart In-Wall ON/OFF Switch (17.99$)

This is cheaper than a wifi switch, good for whoever has a zigbee hub.

PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS

Perfect Replacement for regular wall switch, 120VAC, 10Amp
Mesh network, each device is a router. There is not distance limited in network
Scene mode is available, Apps and cloud control is available
Blue LED illuminates for varied status
Air-Gap Switch feature meets UL requirement and disconnect power from load locally
Last edited by TurboTronix on Aug 29th, 2019 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
79 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
2003 posts
495 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Well for the ON/OFF switch one reviewer states:

Not my first purchase and will be ordering more before the product runs out, not the easiest to integrate as the native support is missing but since these are standard ZigBee switchs, they are easily integrated in SmartThings with a custom Device Handler and the price cannot be better.

I'm going to test these with zigbee2mqtt via Hassio.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6483 posts
5057 upvotes
North York
Is there front plate for a double, triple or even quadruple switches?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
2003 posts
495 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
I use regular plates with my zwave switches. Got a 3 and 2 wall plates in some locations.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19002 posts
5900 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Doesn't seem to have any cUL/ETL marks on it. Pass.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
2003 posts
495 upvotes
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
RafaelZ419742 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 9:28 am
Does this work on non-dimmable bulbs?
Well the one I posted is an on/off switch. The non-dimmable bulbs may be an issue with the dimmer switch...
Oct 19, 2007
815 posts
200 upvotes
Montreal
Can this be used with a Philips Hue system? If not, what could I use to bridge them into 1 system?
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1105 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the dimmer switch, which is even cheaper at $14.99, the price it has been for at least a couple of months. You can also get a package of the dimmer switch and the hub for $19.99. All these zigbee devices at Primecables are made by Orvibo, and were formerly sold by Primecables under the Orvibo brand name that is used in the U.S.. The devices are compatible with the Orvibo app and service as well as the Livingwise clone offered by Primecables.

The hub is a simple zigbee gateway. not a smart hub like SmartThings, and it has an ethernet interface only, no WiFi option.

The devices work with Alexa and Google Home, at least through their own hub, and they are also compatible with SmartThings using a custom device handler (as mentioned above). However, Google does not recognize the dimmer switch as a dimmer, and can only turn it on and off.

You can use the regular switch and the dimmer with any standard bulbs. It would be pointless to pair them with smart bulbs because you would be paying twice for the same function.

The quality and operation of the dimmer switch are fine. But there is one big caveat: these devices can only pair with the hub successfully when it is REAL CLOSE, like within 10'. Furthermore, while the switches work at a longer range, they have a tendency to drop out of contact with the hub occasionally if it is more than 10' away (days, sometimes hours), and require a reboot of the hub to reconnect (not the switch - do not reset the switch or you will have to re-pair from scratch! and don't reset the hub or you will have to re-pair it with your account and then re-pair all the devices!). I had enormous frustration getting these devices to pair until I figured out the REAL CLOSE requirement, and it sounds like a lot of people had the same problem and ended up returning them. However the dimmer switch has worked reliably since I moved the hub within 10'. But given the hardwired ethernet connection requirement for the hub, that may not be easy for most people. Maybe the SmartThings hub is better? (but they both have the same nominal zigbee transmit power according to the specs)

Customer service at Primecables is clueless about these device - all they know is what's in the typical tiny-print installation leaflet. Do not buy these devices if you need technical support.
Last edited by Scote64 on Aug 29th, 2019 10:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jan 7, 2006
383 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
BinaryJay wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 9:29 am
Doesn't seem to have any cUL/ETL marks on it. Pass.
I bought one of the regular on/off switches to see if it was ul/etl or not. There is a cUL/us marking on the box but not on the switch. Is there site you can look up if it's actually certified?

I tried it out, got it to work with smartthings, had to do a custom device handler modified off a generic zigbee switch (I removed the turning off, turning on wait statuses.). Also shows up as a zigbee repeater.
Nov 12, 2012
397 posts
442 upvotes
Mississauga
Does it work with Rogers Smart home, as it uses Zigbee as well?
Jan 22, 2019
170 posts
130 upvotes
I'd probably stick with z-wave technology. I have a GE Tapt that is zigbee and it disconnects every month and cannot resync. Only way to do so is to cut power completely at the breaker and then it can then reconnect. I now use all Z-Wave Plus Inovelli/GE/Zooz switches and they've been running perfectly.
Nov 6, 2011
6 posts
Toronto
Scote64 wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 9:41 am
Furthermore, while the switches work at a longer range, they have a tendency to drop out of contact with the hub occasionally if it is more than 10' away (days, sometimes hours)
Thanks for the heads-up about the range issue. Do you know whether this same problem happens if you have less 10' between each zigbee node, i.e is the connection more reliable if the switch can hop through other zigbee nodes before reaching the hub?
I am planning to have a setup where I will rely on the hopping feature of zigbee as I cannot place all my zigbee switches within 10' of the hub.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
1105 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
dyatsin wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 10:01 am
Thanks for the heads-up about the range issue. Do you know whether this same problem happens if you have less 10' between each zigbee node, i.e is the connection more reliable if the switch can hop through other zigbee nodes before reaching the hub?
I am planning to have a setup where I will rely on the hopping feature of zigbee as I cannot place all my zigbee switches within 10' of the hub.
I wouldn't rely on zigbee mesh networking to extend the range of these devices. The switches are stated to be zigbee repeaters, but I did not see any evidence of range extension via the switch acting as a repeater. YMMV.