Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Princess Auto

10 pc 1/2 in. Metric Deep Impact Socket Set - $24.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2020 2:19 pm
Jun 15, 2001
552 posts
354 upvotes
T.O.

[Princess Auto] 10 pc 1/2 in. Metric Deep Impact Socket Set - $24.99

For those of you investing in hardware (floor jack, stands, torque wrench, etc) to do tire changes & rotations at home, PA has their 10 piece Impact Socket Sets on sale ($24.99 down from $39.99). Also available in SAE sizes.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8638165e
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8638215e
Last edited by Shaner on May 14th, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added price to title
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6946 posts
7520 upvotes
BC
I've said it before in other threads, but it seems like people feel they need to have impact sockets for their torque wrenches. Regular sockets are fine. Impact sockets are only necessary if you are using a power tool like an impact wrench or impact driver. Regular sockets are generally cheaper, but as far as I know, there aren't any comparable sets on sale right now. Also, impact sockets may scuff the wheels on the insides of the lug nut holes because they are thicker than regular sockets.

Unless you need a socket set now, I would wait for a sale on a regular socket set.
-Read store exceptions before combining discounts with cash back sites
-HomeDepot clearance prices are not shown on stocktrack or HD.ca
-There is a difference between NEED (necessities) and WANT (desires). The word NEED is over-used on RFD and in general.
Oct 27, 2013
29 posts
16 upvotes
Calgary
Replyall wrote: Not a bad deal, but I think the equivalent 10pc set of impact sockets at Canadian Tire goes on sale for $19.99 every few months ("regular"price $69.99). https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maxi ... p.html#srp
I wanted to buy the CT set last time it was on sale but I also needed a 22mm for my impact gun. Princess Auto set has the three I need: 19, 21, and 22. Sad the CT doesn't have a 22mm, but happy that for $5 more I can get the Princess Auto set! Kind of wanted the other colour set that Princess sells, but this set is still a bit cheaper than the coloured set (even when it was onsale).
Last edited by drewh20 on May 14th, 2020 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 6, 2010
9824 posts
5822 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
SizzleChest wrote: I've said it before in other threads, but it seems like people feel they need to have impact sockets for their torque wrenches. Regular sockets are fine. Impact sockets are only necessary if you are using a power tool like an impact wrench or impact driver. Regular sockets are generally cheaper, but as far as I know, there aren't any comparable sets on sale right now. Also, impact sockets may scuff the wheels on the insides of the lug nut holes because they are thicker than regular sockets.

Unless you need a socket set now, I would wait for a sale on a regular socket set.
You can use regular set for impact driver as well. Those from crappy tire are lifetime warranty.
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6946 posts
7520 upvotes
BC
theflyingsquirrel wrote: You can use regular set for impact driver as well. Those from crappy tire are lifetime warranty.
If dealing with cracked sockets on a fairly regular basis is worth saving $5-$10, go for it.
-There is a difference between NEED (necessities) and WANT (desires). The word NEED is over-used on RFD and in general.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
SizzleChest wrote: If dealing with cracked sockets on a fairly regular basis is worth saving $5-$10, go for it.
Did I read from another RFD member here that non-impact sockets used in impact tools can fragment and cause injuries?
Jun 15, 2001
552 posts
354 upvotes
T.O.
Best to check the lug nut sizes for any vehicles you may need to work on. Our extended family is primarily Subaru (19mm), Mazda (21mm) and Honda (19 & 22mm). Not all socket sets have the larger 22mm and 24mm required for larger SUV's and Mini-vans.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2018
2776 posts
1995 upvotes
What's a good filler for free shipping . Minimum is 25$
Jan 13, 2012
565 posts
617 upvotes
Vancouver
Inno wrote: Did I read from another RFD member here that non-impact sockets used in impact tools can fragment and cause injuries?
Yes. If you're going to be a cheapskate, always be sure to engage your safety squints. Shattered sockets probably hurt.
Nov 25, 2007
302 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Unlike CT's socket set, this PA socket set's number is engraved onto the socket instead of imprinted (which will come off). The numbers on my CT sockets are totally gone, and I have to guess what size I'm using Angry Face
May 5, 2017
731 posts
380 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: I've said it before in other threads, but it seems like people feel they need to have impact sockets for their torque wrenches. Regular sockets are fine. Impact sockets are only necessary if you are using a power tool like an impact wrench or impact driver. Regular sockets are generally cheaper, but as far as I know, there aren't any comparable sets on sale right now. Also, impact sockets may scuff the wheels on the insides of the lug nut holes because they are thicker than regular sockets.

I only need a 19mm for my subaru with a torque wrench. What do you recommend? Wait for this set to go on sale? https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8413601e

I have seen some advertised as non-scuffing or along those lines for lug nuts but they were a bit pricey on amazon for a few of them..
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6946 posts
7520 upvotes
BC
elgordito wrote: I only need a 19mm for my subaru with a torque wrench. What do you recommend? Wait for this set to go on sale? https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8413601e

I have seen some advertised as non-scuffing or along those lines for lug nuts but they were a bit pricey on amazon for a few of them..
Those sockets are fine. They're probably priced higher for the colour coding though. Depending on your particular lug nuts, you might even be OK with a shallow socket and could save $5-$10 compared to the same set in the deep style.

There are specialty impact sockets with thin walls or made from a different material, but ya they are always more money.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
elgordito wrote: I only need a 19mm for my subaru with a torque wrench. What do you recommend? Wait for this set to go on sale? https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p8413601e

If you're worried about scuffing, just wish me wrap them in a layer of packaging tape.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6946 posts
7520 upvotes
BC
engineered wrote: If you're worried about scuffing, just wish me wrap them in a layer of packaging tape.
That's a good idea. Even a light coating of oil or vaseline might be enough.
Dec 1, 2009
301 posts
312 upvotes
I bought this set about 3 yrs ago at this sale price and use them daily (I work in an auto shop). I've hammered on them (swollen lug nuts from specific manufacturers) and dropped them but still no cracks. These are my main sockets for impact and have maximum as back up.
May 5, 2017
731 posts
380 upvotes
SizzleChest wrote: Those sockets are fine. They're probably priced higher for the colour coding though. Depending on your particular lug nuts, you might even be OK with a shallow socket and could save $5-$10 compared to the same set in the deep style.

There are specialty impact sockets with thin walls or made from a different material, but ya they are always more money.
Yeah, honestly I don't even know if I need deep socket. I guess more often than not you need deep vs being too tall that you need shallow.
Images
  • upload.jpg
May 5, 2017
731 posts
380 upvotes
engineered wrote: If you're worried about scuffing, just wish me wrap them in a layer of packaging tape.
Thanks for the tips, I may just get a set instead of a single more expensive one.