Expired Hot Deals

Princess Auto

15 Litre Oil Drain Pan Save 60% $8.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2021 10:48 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 19, 2010
3363 posts
952 upvotes
GTA
$7 shipping on a $9 item hurts the soul. Needed one though.
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2020
988 posts
1004 upvotes
danascully wrote: Almost no auto places, indpendent or chains take oil anymore. Too much of a hassle for them.

You can only take them to centers now
A lot of smaller places don't have these expensive "centres".... (hazardous waste disposal or recycling is highly complex), and agreed, a lot of places don't take your used oil any more.
I'll have to ask around here more, I guess.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2533 posts
5629 upvotes
Vancouver
Ballroomblitz1 wrote: I bought this a few years ba k, very solid can highly recommend.

Sadly getting too old to climb under the car for oil changes....I do however use it to drain the oil out of my snowblower and lawnmower.
Not sure what kind of care you have, but if you install a oil plug with a lever in it. You don't need to crawl underneath to do jack shit.

Simply slide oil catch pan, and open lever, drain and fill as normal. Don't even need a tool.
Sr. Member
Jun 10, 2020
988 posts
1004 upvotes
danascully wrote: I pour it down the nearest sewer grate, especially the ones with a fish symbol on it
Good, I encourage you to do that.

I'll encourage ECCC/DFO when you get prosecuted under the Fisheries Act as well...
Member
Nov 24, 2016
498 posts
155 upvotes
Calgary
Bought one today and did oil change for my car, this is much bigger than my old one and before I had to use 2 Pan sometime.
Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 30, 2020
1932 posts
3497 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
danascully wrote: Not sure what kind of care you have, but if you install a oil plug with a lever in it. You don't need to crawl underneath to do jack shit.

Simply slide oil catch pan, and open lever, drain and fill as normal. Don't even need a tool.
How long is your arm?
Newbie
Jul 27, 2018
3 posts
7 upvotes
The cheapest oil catch pan is an old used detergent case (10L), cut open the side, used it when it's laid on the side. The pouring of oil is done by opening the sprout (slower) or the screw on lid (faster).

If you have difficulty finding 10L detergent case on a garbage day, simply go to a store buy one case and when it's used up. Viola! you have got a very good catch pen.

Like this one from costco, 10L

https://www.costco.ca/purex-laundry-det ... 58228.html
Newbie
Jul 27, 2018
3 posts
7 upvotes
There are a type of plug that has a turnable handle on it, to replace the original plug. It comes with a tube as well to direct the oil flow.
You can turn the handle to let it flow. It does have some risks of the handle being turned accidentally by undercarriage debris.
Look it up, it may work for you.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1433 posts
618 upvotes
Canada
danascully wrote: Not sure what kind of care you have, but if you install a oil plug with a lever in it. You don't need to crawl underneath to do jack shit.

Simply slide oil catch pan, and open lever, drain and fill as normal. Don't even need a tool.
Your car doesn't have oil filter or you never change it?
Jr. Member
May 7, 2015
131 posts
62 upvotes
Newmarket
Got one of these, love the spout and its taller profile; reduces splashback and makes for quick and clean work when emptying.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4590 posts
4831 upvotes
GTA
danascully wrote: Almost no auto places, indpendent or chains take oil anymore. Too much of a hassle for them.
Why would they? It costs them to dispose of it. 5L from one person might not be a lot, but how about 5L each from 10 people or 100 or 1000?
DasHip wrote: A lot of smaller places don't have these expensive "centres".... (hazardous waste disposal or recycling is highly complex), and agreed, a lot of places don't take your used oil any more.
I'll have to ask around here more, I guess.
Where are you from? I'd be shocked if there isn't a municipal or regional recycling centre.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2693 posts
4486 upvotes
Atlantic
Easy way to find out who takes used oil is to look at who handles your garbage collection/where you take your garbage for disposal.

Most commissions/cities that handle garbage collection also have programs/locations for household hazardous waste as well, not to mention recycling programs.
Member
May 30, 2015
319 posts
186 upvotes
GTA
derass wrote: Why would they? It costs them to dispose of it. 5L from one person might not be a lot, but how about 5L each from 10 people or 100 or 1000?



Where are you from? I'd be shocked if there isn't a municipal or regional recycling centre.

I am in GTA and when I looked online I was surprised to find out that many of those Regional Recycling Centers are now charging $10 to allow you to dispose of different items.

Also, this seems to go against the policies of different governments who pretend that they care about the environment.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1489 posts
923 upvotes
GTA
pishta wrote:

I am in GTA and when I looked online I was surprised to find out that many of those Regional Recycling Centers are now charging $10 to allow you to dispose of different items.

Also, this seems to go against the policies of different governments who pretend that they care about the environment.
They are all free in Ontario to take your hazardous liquids and batteries. They charge for solid waste like building materials.

https://www.productcare.org/
https://www.makethedrop.ca/

The other month, my friend saw a Torontonian dump paint water down a storm drain.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4590 posts
4831 upvotes
GTA
pishta wrote: I am in GTA and when I looked online I was surprised to find out that many of those Regional Recycling Centers are now charging $10 to allow you to dispose of different items.

Also, this seems to go against the policies of different governments who pretend that they care about the environment.
The recycling centers are run by the different municipalities within the GTA, but that doesn't sound right at all. It's always been free to drop off household hazardous waste. I just dropped off engine oil and a filter this past weekend.
Member
May 30, 2015
319 posts
186 upvotes
GTA
derass wrote: The recycling centers are run by the different municipalities within the GTA, but that doesn't sound right at all. It's always been free to drop off household hazardous waste. I just dropped off engine oil and a filter this past weekend.
I hope that this link works:

https://www.york.ca/wps/portal/yorkhome ... PhTfDPPyWw


You can click on Elgin Mills Community Environmental Centre for example, but I think all of them are the same in terms of min $10 fee.


ACCEPTED ITEM FEE
Dedicated/Mixed Loads:
Concrete
Garbage
This includes drywall, foam packaging (Styrofoam) and untreated wood
$125/metric tonne
$10 minimum fee applies (loads up to 100 kg)


Mixed Loads:
Garbage and e-waste/HHW/metal applicances/ scrap metal and recyclables $125/metric tonne
$10 minimum fee applies (loads up to 100 kg)
Last edited by pishta on Jul 21st, 2021 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 17, 2004
775 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
It is free to bring your used oil to a hazardous waste depot in York region. You're reading too much... There is no minimum $10 charge.
Member
May 30, 2015
319 posts
186 upvotes
GTA
overboost wrote: It is free to bring your used oil to a hazardous waste depot in York region. You're reading too much... There is no minimum $10 charge.
OK. Thank you then.
I will be happy not to pay $10 to dispose of the used oil. I hope they also accept used cooling fluid.

A lot of people who post in these topics just throw a casual "jut take it to your nearest Canadian Tire" but this is not true anymore and I think it is like that for the last 3-5 years.

I just called Costco, a few minutes ago, and they told me that they don't take any used oil or anything else. The woman on the phone confirmed that Costco also has to pay to dispose of their used oil.

Not sure if it is different in other provinces but this is how I found it in Ontario.

Also, when you look in YouTube, many Americans throw the same cliche all the time: "just take it to your local store and they will take it for free". They also use the term "we reccyle it" which I don't believe that it ever happens. Nobody recycles these materials.
Maybe in US the local stores they do take it for free, I don't know.
Possible that they do that in other Canadian provinces but I am not aware and it would not help me in Ontario anyway.
Last edited by pishta on Jul 21st, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)